🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Scott Aukerman

QUESTIONS FOR SCOTT RE: HOWL

Hey guys!

It seems like you cannot scrub in the timeline for the browser version of Howl.

I just got an email from Shannon confirming they will upgrade the player soon.

Until they do, try pasting this into the browser's address bar while it's playing and press enter:

javascript:{$('.jp-title').hide();void(0);}

Basically it hides the text over the timeline so that you can click it. Works for me in Fierefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer. You may have to type in the javascript: part manually, some browsers remove that when pasting.

• Like 5

Paying Earwolf $60/year for its content is a bargain, and I'm happy to support all the wonderful people making great podcasts. And it's great that you're all concerned in keeping eps accessible to new folks at a free level, too. Cheers all around.

THAT SAID:

I don't use an iPhone-- I use gPodder on Ubuntu, and listen to podcasts on an iPod Classic (actually, I just switched over to the Fiio X1 (http://www.fiio.net/en/products/18) -- not nearly as good as the Classic, but it's nice that something is being made these days).

That is to say, I am a non-smartphone user who consumes nearly everything offline. Fairly freakish in this day and age, but it goes to show-- RSS feeds just work. For everybody.

A password-protected RSS feed would be completely platform-agnostic, and just seems the right choice, technology-wise. Forcing Earwolf to develop its own listening app (when there are so many other ways to listen, all of which carefully honed the user experience) seems like a burden on Earwolf, and giving a subpar product to the listeners.

So that's basically it-- I want to give you money, but an iOS app (or even an Android app) is a non-starter for me.

• Like 5

I wouldn't classify myself as a geek, gamer or popculture nerd.

You created an account so you could post code on a comedy podcast network message board. Those are the facts.

• Like 1

Nerd alert

Didn't you hear? Nerds is cool now. Seems like someone is on their way to pump Meddler's gas soon!

• Like 4

Hey Hot to Scott, I'm happy to give you some of my fabulous moolah for some of your content. But, mostly I'm just excited that I can start complaining about the old stuff, since it's no longer free. OH YEAH! You made a big mistake, sucker!

All joking a salad, I hope you can take some of the money and buy Mr. Scott's time to record more UTU2TM? I would pay per ep if necessary.

• Like 1

Not the most original sentiment (and I apologize for not having read through this whole thread), but:

I'm an Android user who prefers to download episodes, but I'm also not unhappy to pay a monthly subscription to Earwolf because of how much it brightens my daily life.

So, in the abstract, I'm not especially opposed to this, but it really doesn't seem like an ideal implementation thus far.

1) What are the payment methods for Howl. I cant find it anywhere on their site. VISA/Mastercard and PayPal I assume (like most American online businesses)? I normally only use Maestro and iDeal, but would be willing to open up a PayPal account for this.

It's credit card only, as far as I can see. I'd like a Paypal option too, as I don't want to get a credit card.

I know all of Never Not Funny is available through torrents.

Really, all of NNF..? I've only ever seen the first couple of seasons pop up on public torrent sites, and even then they tend to be badly seeded. (And I say that as a card carrying member of the Players Club myself! Well, actually, I don't have the card..)

Hey nong men and women. Adam here. Sorry I haven't been around this week. Had a very poorly timed work trip that kept me busy from Monday (launch day) through today. Anyway, just wanted to make myself available here to answer questions and let everybody know how much I appreciate all of you checking out Howl and providing feedback. I hope you can tell that we're taking the feedback very seriously and updating our product roadmap so that we can continue to make the ios app and website (and upcoming Android app. I know, I know. It's coming I promise) better and better based on your suggestions. We're also tracking your feedback on the shows/specials themselves so that we can make more of the stuff you like.

I'm grateful that Scott and Shannon have both been around to answer questions, provide some insight and transparency, and absorb the well-intentioned venting sessions.

Anyway, that's all I got. Feel free to shoot me an email directly if you have questions or comments - adam [at] midroll. Thanks everybody.

• Like 4

My ipod doesn't do the newfangled apps. If I subscribe to Howl will I be able to download podcasts and load them onto my worthless pathetic 5 year old ipod touch?

• Like 2

First of all, thank you for all of the years of entertainment and laughter your shows have given me. The podcasts that Earwolf and recently, Wolfpop have been top-notch and am very appreciative of the work that goes on to make them.

That said, I've got some concerns/suggestions that I think might be beneficial. I was first suggested CBB in early 2012 or so and the most recent ones, at that point, didn't really grab me or left me sort of confused about what it was that I was listening to. I was convinced to try to give some earlier episodes a shot with some guests that I knew beforehand and quickly understood what the show was and became a fast fan. I really fear that closing off the archive will not make this happen for future potential listeners as I'm doubtful that I'd continue to listen if I didn't have the opportunity delve into episodes of years past.

Once I got into CBB I eventually got hooked on other Earwolf podcasts. I've spent countless hours really enjoying UTU2TM?, Analyze Phish, HDTGM, Who Charted, etc... and am very grateful for all the effort that went into them.

However, before getting into all of these great Earwolf p-casts, I started out listening to Judge John Hodgman, Stop Podcasting Yourself, My Brother My Brother and Me, etc... on the MaxFun network and continue to do so. Several years ago during one of their "MaxFun Drives" I realized I really ought to give these people some money for the quality content they produce and was happy to do so, especially with the offer of bonus content (and keeping all of their old episodes free, allowing for easy introductions of episodes to recommend to friends). I was really hoping Earwolf would follow a similar path, as I'd be happy to contribute in that model. If I can no longer send a friend a link to an old episode of CBB that I think they'd find most accessible then I'm not sure this is a great way to gain a wider audience.

I hope you guys might re-think/challenge some of these new actions as I'm not sure they'll pan out all that well in the long run.

Again, thank you for Oliver Subpodcasts.

• Like 2

My Howl account still shows that my trial expires after one week, even though I used the promo code CBB on checkout for the month-long trial. What's up with that?

Adam, can you give us any information on upcoming Howl exclusive podcasts?

Is there the potential for video to be added at some point?

• Like 1

My Howl account still shows that my trial expires after one week, even though I used the promo code CBB on checkout for the month-long trial. What's up with that?

Okay, I figured this out. I had auto-renewal turned off, but when I turned it back on, it shows that the next payment will be on 9/24/15 instead of the trial ending 8/24/15. So, the CBB code did work for the free month.

Video would be awesome. That's what's so great about the NNF Players' Club. The extra episode AND video of both.

So there are definitely additional episodes in the works of some of the series that have already been released (Superego Forgotten Classics, Joel Stein's series, and more). We'll be releasing more and more standup comedy specials too. As for the other new original series that are in the works, I can tell you that it's happening, but for now, we're planning to keep a lot of it a surprise. That makes it fun right? I'm sure we'll leak some teasers soon enough.

Video is something we're talking about and we can tell that it's something that people are looking for. The VPN relationship was fun, but it also helped that VPN was bringing the video expertise. Video isn't an area where we really have expertise. So we're talking about it. We can tell that it's something people want. Not sure if we'll be able to pull it off, honestly. But if we can, we'll try!

• Like 4

I've been trying to sign up for Howl for the last few days but cannot get my free premium trial started. Keep getting this message after I enter my details.

http://imgur.com/zSACOOg

Serious question that I'm sure I could easily find myself if I weren't so lazy: If I'm not an iPhone owner, is there a way I can subscribe just to be able to download old podcasts on my pc and listen?

• Like 1

I've been trying to sign up for Howl for the last few days but cannot get my free premium trial started. Keep getting this message after I enter my details.

http://imgur.com/zSACOOg

This is healthcare.gov all over again. Thanks Obama!

• Like 1

Hello there. Set aside the non-support for android so far, the idea of mainly streaming podcasts (who does that? I listen to podcasts when I'm e.g. traveling in a train and there isn't always a connection available...and I need to keep my traffic on my mobile low), I'm curious if the credit card only payment is restricted to the US? Because if it is, non-US-listeners like me are officially out of the picture it seems. :(

I made my way from CBB #1 to currently #220 and it was a blast. I'm sad things are changing so fast in such a weird way. I hope I manage to download the remaining episodes before you pull them and in the future I'd gladly pay 5 bucks every month IF you let me download podcasts normally on my pc like it should be. Sorry, but streaming podcasts is a rather terrible idea.

Greetings, some confused german listener and fan.

• Like 3

Hello there. Set aside the non-support for android so far, the idea of mainly streaming podcasts (who does that? I listen to podcasts when I'm e.g. traveling in a train and there isn't always a connection available...and I need to keep my traffic on my mobile low), I'm curious if the credit card only payment is restricted to the US? Because if it is, non-US-listeners like me are officially out of the picture it seems. :(

I made my way from CBB #1 to currently #220 and it was a blast. I'm sad things are changing so fast in such a weird way. I hope I manage to download the remaining episodes before you pull them and in the future I'd gladly pay 5 bucks every month IF you let me download podcasts normally on my pc like it should be. Sorry, but streaming podcasts is a rather terrible idea.

Greetings, some confused german listener and fan.

Thanks for being a listener for so long and I appreciate the concern. You will not be forced to stream content. The iOS app and the upcoming Android app will both allow you to download into the respective app so that you can listen offline. The non-archive episodes (most recent six months) will be able to be downloaded to a pc the same way they're available today.

I don't believe credit card payments are restricted to the US. We process using Stripe on the web and they should be accepting international payments. I know we already have a number of international subscribers.

Thanks for being a listener for so long and I appreciate the concern. You will not be forced to stream content. The iOS app and the upcoming Android app will both allow you to download into the respective app so that you can listen offline. The non-archive episodes (most recent six months) will be able to be downloaded to a pc the same way they're available today.

I don't believe credit card payments are restricted to the US. We process using Stripe on the web and they should be accepting international payments. I know we already have a number of international subscribers.

Hey Adam, thanks for taking the time.

I am neither an android nor an ios user. In order for the new arrangement to work for me the whole catalog needs to be downloadable from the website. Is this in the works as well? I'm more than willing to pay and in fact have already subscribed. But continuing to do so will be contingent on not being reliant on an app.

Thanks, Pete.

• Like 5

it's an interesting question - what do governments owe their people? I believe health care and water could be considered universal rights. But people in this country seem to prioritize taxes being really low.

Hot Takerman

What're the chances of you doing an Election 2016 show, Scott?