🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
KillerBeeKilled

Howl App and Howl.fm Opinions?

I feel like there is a ton of confusion over the new Howl dealy-0, so I thought I would make a thread discussing opinions on the new format, and what I feel about it.

I was already a premium member of Wtf Pod, so for me it was an easy transfer, and I kept my original payed price for LIFE!

I Also got all the live content from Earwolf that was previously on the store, along with the two biggie podcasts in one spot.

It was fairly easy to figure out, and I'm using an Android smartphone.

For me the only drawback at this point is there not being an Android app yet, which seems to be a common complaint.

You can easily go to Howl.fm and listen to all of the extra content, while the older episodes still don't seem accessible from the Howl.fm website, you can use the old method of listening for old content still.

There is such a huge amount of free content that anyone complaining about a 5$ fee would sound silly.

In summation, I'm extremely pleased with the new direction Earwolf is going, it's going to guarantee a higher quality, and more shows like Andy Daly's podcast which was a short run show that was paid for by Earwolf. All of our favorite shows will be one one place very soon, and for now they have given us so much new content it's impossible to finish all of it quickly.

What are your opinions?

From what I've seen on here and reddit, money is the last thing people complain about. It's more about buggy/nonexistent/exclusive app stuff. I have already voted, in a way, via their support email asking for some kind of premium RSS so I can continue podcasting in the way I already enjoy + enjoy new Howl stuff (that's real progress). I'm overall happy about this service, but it must be actually better for me than it was before, if I am gonna really enjoy it.

But anyways, opinion on Howl.fm as I have an Android (and will probably never download some inferior app anyways):

• site is pretty
  • playback on their lil player is pretty much uninterrupted while navigating the site (very nice!)
  • player too small to scrub through conveniently
  • no -10s +30s buttons (a podcasting staple!)
  • only a mute audio button? (that makes it harder to level with other things on your browser)
  • can't hit space or anything to pause (as far as I know)
  • awesome level of content
  • great price (in my opinion of course)

• Like 2

From what I've seen on here and reddit, money is the last thing people complain about. It's more about buggy/nonexistent/exclusive app stuff. I have already voted, in a way, via their support email asking for some kind of premium RSS so I can continue podcasting in the way I enjoy + enjoy new Howl stuff (that's real progress). I'm overall happy about this service, but it must be actually better for me than it was before, if I am gonna really enjoy it.

But anyways, opinion on Howl.fm as I have an Android (and will probably never download some inferior app anyways):

• Site is pretty
  • playback on their lil player is pretty much uninterrupted while navigating the site (very nice!)
  • player too small to scrub through conveniently
  • no -10s +30s buttons (a podcasting staple!)
  • only a mute audio button? (that makes it harder to level with other things on your browser)
  • can't hit space or anything to pause (as far as I know)
  • awesome level of content
  • great price (in my opinion of course)

Very well thought out post. I've actually seen quite a few people just here complaining about having to pay for what used to be free, I don't get it honestly. That's the only reason I mentioned it in passing, tried to cover all my bases for what is applicable to my use of Howl.fm

• Like 1

I've just been using howl.fm on my laptop. It definitely looks nice and as highlighted above, the uninterrupted playback when moving around the site is nice.

I'd probably level the same criticisms too. Moving to different parts in the ep is difficult, nigh-on impossible.

The playback bar has the name of the ep/guest on it and I can move forward in the ep to the point that the name begins and no further along. Which is very frustrating. And within that small window of time that you can shift around, it's pretty imprecise. I can't drag it back to the start of the ep for example.

And again, as above, only having mute instead of a volume control seems a weird choice.

I've refrained from jumping in to other conversations on the boards, not wanting to pile on, but I want to support it.

I'm neither an Apple or Android user so I'm screwed in terms of being able to listen anywhere besides my laptop (and I can't stream when out and about or at work where I do most of my listening, who has that much data really?!), so I'm certainly disappointed on that side of things. However, I've signed up regardless as I've enjoyed such an absurd amount of content from earwolf over the years, so I'm happy to support this new venture! (but if there was ever a Windows phone app, I wouldn't complain :P )

• Like 1

I agree with you. I made this forum specifically for real opinions on it and not just random criticism. I thought it would be nice to see peoples first impressions. Thanks for your awesome reply. A lot of nice people on this forum.

Wait isn't WTF like 5.99 for 6 months or something? That price point transfers over? How do I do it? I've been subscribed to WTFPod for awhile, was curious how that would work since it's a cheaper subscription.

Wait isn't WTF like 5.99 for 6 months or something? That price point transfers over? How do I do it? I've been subscribed to WTFPod for awhile, was curious how that would work since it's a cheaper subscription.
Basically it's a grandfathered price and only applicable to people who have a premium membership before the Howl app came out.

If you were a previous member then you can go to your email and follow the instructions.

This thread is more for stating your opinion on the new platforms though, if you want to find out about the fine points then go to Scott Aukermans Questions thread, he answers a lot of the questions you will have there.

Basically it's a grandfathered price and only applicable to people who have a premium membership before the Howl app came out.

If you were a previous member then you can go to your email and follow the instructions.

This thread is more for stating your opinion on the new platforms though, if you want to find out about the fine points then go to Scott Aukermans Questions thread, he answers a lot of the questions you will have there.

Cool, thanks! I don't really like this app because I've used the WTF app for years now with no problems. Now they're forcing me to switch to Howl, which my iPhone 4 isn't capable of running! Because of Howl, I lose Marc. It's a real shame that all these apps keep doing little switches to the programming to eliminate old users who may not be able to afford the latest iPhone...which I don't get, because it should be pretty simple. Search audio-play audio. What's so advanced about that that requires a better iPhone? The Podcast app-perfect. WTF app-perfect. Howl-inaccessible.

Sign in to follow this