🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 22 - A Clown Cemetery

Paul F. Tompkins compliments you with a sincere “good job” since you made it to this place called SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is comedian, actor, writer Bob Kerr of This Hour Has 22 Minutes! They chat about Bob’s dream career of being a musician, why revisiting Thunderbirds as an adult is not a good idea, and being terrified of driving in Los Angeles. Paul is then joined by Shulie Cowen, Matt Gourley, and Jean Villepique to improvise a story set in a Clown Cemetery. And as always, Eban Schletter (only the best) scores it all on piano!

Attention Worldwide Web! On SATURDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2015 SPONTANEANATION streams LIVE from The Los Angeles Podcast Festival! With improvisers CRAIG CACKOWSKI, MATT GOURLEY and JANET VARNEY, accompanist EBAN SCHLETTER, and a special guest! Go to www.lapodfest.com and use the code PFT to get a li’l discount!

• Like 1

That question was so prone to abuse with the "guaranteed success" part. "Supreme ruler of the world," anyone? "Miracle cancer curer?"

• Like 1

Oh my god, that location. This is going to be great.

It was!

One of my favorite things about this show is when someone says something weird (Like "Hand me the sword" as a thing to cut into a cake), and you can practically hear the other performers' wheels turning as they decide whether or not to dig in on it.

• Like 3

BTW, Zune is not still a thing in terms of new manufacture, but we Zune users are still out there (and you can still find them reasonably easily on eBay or whatnot). The original Zune was such a disaster that the name became a punchline, but the later Zune HD is a great little media device.

I had an unintentional giggle while listening to this episode when Paul was talking about how sensitive Android users tend to be as I recalled the hullabaloo recently raised by them due to the Howl App's (current) lack of compatibility with their devices. I thought it was a subtle dig at this recent drama until someone (maybe Paul) said that they were recording this episode in July. I just found it to be remarkable prescient...

Also, Eben launching into "All Along the Watchtower" at the end was AMAZING! I always accepted Paul's assertion that Eben was "only the best," but now I have empirical evidence that proves it to be fact.

• Like 4

That "Claypool" song was 100 times better than anything Primus have ever done.

• Like 7

seriously the best episode yet. PFT & the gang have definitely found their groove. numerous LOL moments, & Eban shines throughout.

• Like 3

I had an unintentional giggle while listening to this episode when Paul was talking about how sensitive Android users tend to be as I recalled the hullabaloo recently raised by them due to the Howl App's (current) lack of compatibility with their devices. I thought it was a subtle dig at this recent drama until someone (maybe Paul) said that they were recording this episode in July. I just found it to be remarkable prescient...

It's a nod to the fact that, every time a host goes into their rate-and-review-on-iTunes spiel, they invariably field (in

) "I guess we don't matter!" complaints from Android users. Of course, since Midroll's surveys show twice as many listeners on iOS, and more recent studies show 82% of mobile podcast listeners using iOS, Android users essentially don't matter where podcast ratings are concerned.
  • Like 2

That is so strange...So these people get angry/upset because they can't rate a show on itunes?

tumblr_m47cv4qT2z1qii6tmo1_400.gif

It seems to me that these people are less interested in rating the show and more interested in other people reading what they have to say online....

(Hello, my name is Cameron, and [apparently] I'm new to the Internet.)

• Like 1

Android users essentially don't matter where podcast ratings are concerned.

Yeah, that's been made pretty clear to us in the last week.

• Like 7

Kerr loves bassist lead singers, except Sting. Didn't say anything about Winger, so I assume he's a big fan.

• Like 4

Kerr loves bassist lead singers, except Sting. Didn't say anything about Winger, so I assume he's a big fan.

Of course I love Winger. They tour with Jesus.

• Like 6

I'm actually kinda disappointed that Mitch and Delores' adventure in the wardrobe didn't lead them to cross paths with Dr. Baseball Ecstasy.

• Like 4

Studies show that people who are not allowed to be tracked make up an insignificant portion of podcast listeners.

• Like 5

Furthermore, 100% of Howl listeners who use a mobile device to listen to podcast use iOS. That's just a fact. You can't argue with facts.

(Honestly, it's a week after the Howl premium announcement and now I don't actually care that Android has been given the short shrift.[(what the fuck is a short shrift] I will just wait until I get an app to subscribe, it is not a terrible problem!)

• Like 1

I mean, have any of us Android users actually stopped to consider that maybe we are garbage people? It might actually be true! I know I've suspected I might be for years.

• Like 5

I mean, have any of us Android users actually stopped to consider that maybe we are garbage people? It might actually be true! I know I've suspected I might be for years.

I'm certainly no Justin Long. Then again I'm no John Hodgeman.

I'm certainly no Justin Long. Then again I'm no John Hodgeman.

Me neither. My grandmother's not even a smooth troll.

A couple things I noticed on my second listen. Matt's mayor character almost made a sentient cake reference but was interrupted halfway through the word "sentient," and I thought, why does that keep coming up? Clearly too much cinnamon was used. Also Crackers refers to himself as "Crackerpants," which on first listen I thought Paul made a mistake, but more likely it was a deliberate combining of "Crackers" and "Wrinklepants," because the one's head was on the other's body! Unexpected genius.

Also, my new favourite word is "clownsplaining."

• Like 4