🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
RyanSz

HDTGM movies and their RT scores

I had once looked up the various Rotten Tomatoe scores for the movies done by the show and realized that the show has really spread itself across the spectrum of movies and their critical reviews. So I have updated the initial list up to the current listed upcoming episodes and I gotta say some of these scores were surprising, for both high and low scores. It's also good to see such a great spread of movies in comparison to other podcasts that seem to just choose low hanging fruit or current dreck.

Burlesque - 36%

Season of the Witch - 10%

Old Dogs - 5%

Last Airbeder - 6%

Drive Angry - 46%

Battlefield Earth - 2%

All About Steve - 6%

Sucker Punch - 23%

Fast Five - 78%

Mac and Me - 0% Tied for Lowest

The Tourist - 20%

The Love Guru - 14%

Crank 2: High Voltage - 64%

Green Lantern - 26%

The Back-Up Plan - 19%

Skyline - 15%

Gigli - 7%

The Wicker Man - 15%

Punisher: War Zone - 27%

I Know Who Killed Me - 9%

Leprechaun in the Hood - 33%

The Room - 35%

Superman III - 24%

Catwoman - 9%

Jingle All the Way - 17%

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - 24%

Crank - 61%

Trespass - 10%

Cool As Ice - 8%

Birdemic - 20%

88 Minutes - 5%

Abduction - 4%

The Adventures of Pluto Nash - 6%

Tiptoes - 29%

On the Line - 19%

Speed 2: Cruise Control - 2%

Bad Ass - No Score

Godzilla - 26%

Judge Dredd - 18%

Spiderman 3 - 63% (actually shocked by this one)

Batman & Robin - 12%

Wild Wild West - 21%

Jaws 4: The Revenge - 0% Tied for Lowest

Road House - 43%

Barb Wire - 29%

Super Mario Bros. - 13%

Sleepaway Camp - 70% (shocked by this as well)

Cobra - 13%

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - 48%

Liz and Dick - 40%

Reindeer Games - 25%

Anaconda - 38%

The Odd Life of Timothy Green - 38%

The Devil's Advocate - 66%

Nothing But Trouble - 9%

From Justin to Kelly - 10%

In the Name of the King - 4%

Spice World - 29%

Street Fighter - 12%

Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot - 4%

Joyful Noise - 33%

Fast & Furious 6 - 69%

After Earth - 11%

Howard the Duck - 14%

Demolition Man - 64%

Sharknado - 82% (wow, really?)

Over the Top - 36%

Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles - 11%

Gymkata - 18%

The Glimmer Man - 13%

Toys - 26%

Congo - 22%

Halloween III: Season of the Witch - 33%

Daredevil - 44%

Fair Game - 13%

Hudson Hawk - 24%

Crossroads - 14%

Deck the Halls - 6%

Jack Frost - 20%

Mortal Kombat - 33%

Double Team - 11%

Winter's Tale - 13%

No Holds Barred - 11%

Color of Night - 22%

Ernest Goes to Jail - 13%

Easy Rider: the Ride Back - no critic reviews, 29% audience score

Mr. Nanny - 7%

Gooby - 20%

Sharknado 2 - 59%

Staying Alive - 0% (surprised this had such a low score)

Glitter - 7%

Temptation - 15%

Monkey Shines - 52%

Rhinestone - 15%

LOL - 17%

A View to A Kill -34%

Junior - 32%

Xanadu - 39%

Tango and Cash - 34%

Zardoz - 44%

Safe Haven - 12%

Deep Blue Sea - 56%

Lake Placid - 39%

Con Air - 55%

Face/Off - 92% Highest

The Island of Dr. Moreau - 23%

Hercules in New York - 17%

Jupiter Ascending - 25%

TMNT 2 - 33%

Runaway - 44%

Sharknado 3 - 34%

Top Dog - 0% Lowest

Theodore Rex - no critic score, 21% audience score

Furious 7 - 81%

Maximum Overdrive - 17%

• Like 10

I don't think the extreme highs or lows of anything pre-Internet can reeeeeeeaaally be trusted as being accurate according to Rotten Tomatoes, though we pretty much have an idea that certain movies probably wouldn't have fared too well anyway. It's easy when gathering information on older stuff to assume that yes, "Mac and Me" is one of the shittiest movies in creation, but I'm sure that in it's day, there HAD to be at least a good review or two of that or "Jaws: The Revenge", "Staying Alive" or "Top Dog" from the Armond White of that period (who may have actually still been Armond White...) that didn't make the jump to the digital age.

Yeah Jeff Rubin had once said on the Indoor Kids that pre-1995 movie scores might not be as accurate since there was no real way of tracking all of the reviews a movie got, like in the case with Double Dragon which had an incredibly low score that he felt should be slightly higher. Yet still, to get a 0% is something that really has to be worked for in a movie, and those mentioned certainly qualify for that awfulness.

• Like 2

Yeah Jeff Rubin had once said on the Indoor Kids that pre-1995 movie scores might not be as accurate since there was no real way of tracking all of the reviews a movie got, like in the case with Double Dragon which had an incredibly low score that he felt should be slightly higher. Yet still, to get a 0% is something that really has to be worked for in a movie, and those mentioned certainly qualify for that awfulness.

I'm sure that back in the day, GamePro gave "Double Dragon" a glowing review!

I don't think the extreme highs or lows of anything pre-Internet can reeeeeeeaaally be trusted as being accurate according to Rotten Tomatoes

I would argue that this could be argued the other way, too. I mean, anyone can hang a shingle and call themselves a critic these days, and studios have been known to influence a few here and there. And the standards have changed -- campy movies can get good reviews now, even if they are fundamentally bad products.

That said, the biggest surprise was Devil's Advocate getting 60+ percent. It was an enjoyably bad movie, though.

I would argue that this could be argued the other way, too. I mean, anyone can hang a shingle and call themselves a critic these days, and studios have been known to influence a few here and there. And the standards have changed -- campy movies can get good reviews now, even if they are fundamentally bad products.

That said, the biggest surprise was Devil's Advocate getting 60+ percent. It was an enjoyably bad movie, though.

Oh, it definitely go the other way too, as there were certainly things about the highest-rated films that have nearly perfect scores that critics were against at the time. "Godfather" , for instance was pretty violent for its day and also glorified that culture in a way that hadn't been done before. And then two years later, I'm sure the same critics were like "Godfather 2? I hate sequels! Hollywood is out of ideas!".

I saw "Devil's Advicate" when it was out and don't really remember much of a reaction either way. If anything, it was picked on for Keanu trying to sound Southern.

Oh, it definitely go the other way too, as there were certainly things about the highest-rated films that have nearly perfect scores that critics were against at the time. "Godfather" , for instance was pretty violent for its day and also glorified that culture in a way that hadn't been done before. And then two years later, I'm sure the same critics were like "Godfather 2? I hate sequels! Hollywood is out of ideas!".

I saw "Devil's Advicate" when it was out and don't really remember much of a reaction either way. If anything, it was picked on for Keanu trying to sound Southern.

There are a bunch of instances where critics have been called out for being out of touch with audiences when it came to popular movies. There is a good clip on Youtube where Roger Ebert and some other critic whose name I can't remember are being interviewed about their thoughts on the Empire Strikes Back and while Ebert was like a kid giving a glowing review this bridge troll could not be bothered to find enjoyment in the movie. You also have Ebert who is notorious for going against the grain on his reviews and being roundly mocked for them (he gives a 3 1/2 star review for Anaconda but a 1 star review for The Raid: Redemption, seriously?)

Then there's the case of Rex Reed who has become a target for online snipers due to him completely screwing up reviews for movies he most likely or completely did not see. If you want a laugh read his review of Cabin in the Woods and all of the fallout from that clusterfuck.

There are a bunch of instances where critics have been called out for being out of touch with audiences when it came to popular movies. There is a good clip on Youtube where Roger Ebert and some other critic whose name I can't remember are being interviewed about their thoughts on the Empire Strikes Back and while Ebert was like a kid giving a glowing review this bridge troll could not be bothered to find enjoyment in the movie. You also have Ebert who is notorious for going against the grain on his reviews and being roundly mocked for them (he gives a 3 1/2 star review for Anaconda but a 1 star review for The Raid: Redemption, seriously?)

Then there's the case of Rex Reed who has become a target for online snipers due to him completely screwing up reviews for movies he most likely or completely did not see. If you want a laugh read his review of Cabin in the Woods and all of the fallout from that clusterfuck.

I kind of like when a review comes out and the person is shitting on some movie for being a sequel or a reboot or a rip off of something, and then they start talking about the original film as though it's an untouchable classic, just to find out that in their review of that original film, they didn't like that at all either. They're basically just shitting on sequels or whatever because that's what you do and that's how you get heard.

Then you also have the quote whores who basically give good reviews to bad movies only to get their quote and name featured in the publicity material for the film. Richard Roeper's book Schlock Value has an entire chapter dedicated to this and even features a bunch of famous whore quotes from over the years.

It's easy when gathering information on older stuff to assume that yes, "Mac and Me" is one of the shittiest movies in creation, but I'm sure that in it's day, there HAD to be at least a good review or two of that...

See: me at 7 years old.

• Like 3

See: me at 7 years old.

That just reminded me how it took forevvvvvvvvver for a certain other film to come out on video, so this movie probably benefitted heavily from being the off-brand alternative to "ET" when that was not yet available for home viewing. See also: "Krull".

What? It's been three years and "Return of the Jedi" still isn't on tape? Looks like it's "Krull" again...

Here's the update for the recent episodes:

Masters of the Universe - 17%

Perfect - 19%

Death Spa - N/A

Lifeforce - 67%

Hackers - 32%

Steel - 12%

The Star Wars Holiday Special - 50%

Kazaam - 6%

Does rotten offer recommended picks based on movies you selected and rated? I would so love to know what movies rotten would recommend based on those films alone. I know that IMDB does this.

• Like 1

Here's the update for the recent episodes:

Masters of the Universe - 17%

Perfect - 19%

Death Spa - N/A

Lifeforce - 67%

Hackers - 32%

Steel - 12%

The Star Wars Holiday Special - 50%

Kazaam - 6%

I remember Lifeforce when it came out. At the time it didnt seem that bad. Though I probably went to see it at one of those after pub closing time showings for horror films that the local town fleapit used to do back in the 80s, so I was probably drunk. That plus the fact that it had one of the hottest French girls ever walking around in the actual fucking nip may have coloured my critical faculties a bit.

When I heard the Lifeforce episode lots of unsavoury repressed and unwanted memories returned like drunken cousins at Christmas. 'Oh shite, Captain Picard really did try to snog some fella...fuck!!!'

• Like 1

Does rotten offer recommended picks based on movies you selected and rated? I would so love to know what movies rotten would recommend based on those films alone. I know that IMDB does this.

I haven't noticed that with RT, but my Amazon and Netflix suggestions are wonky because I'm watching such a wide range of stuff, both good and bad.

I haven't noticed that with RT, but my Amazon and Netflix suggestions are wonky because I'm watching such a wide range of stuff, both good and bad.

Yeah, on Netflix, there's a lot of "Because you watched...", but if Netflix was really paying attention, they'd notice I'd only watched about ten minutes of that.

Yeah, on Netflix, there's a lot of "Because you watched...", but if Netflix was really paying attention, they'd notice I'd only watched about ten minutes of that.

Im pretty sure that Netflix were inspired by Patton Oswalt's "My Tivo thinks I'm gay!" bit from 'King of Queens'.

Im pretty sure that Netflix were inspired by Patton Oswalt's "My Tivo thinks I'm gay!" bit from 'King of Queens'.

Which is probably taken from his TiVo bit from his standup.

Which is probably taken from his TiVo bit from his standup.

I'm from the UK so we dont, or rather, didnt get that much US stand up a decade or so ago.

By the way, wildly off topic but I've just heard that David Bowie is dead. Fucking shit news.

Solarbabies - 0%

Hell Comes to Frogtown - 40%

The Avengers (1998) - 5%