🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 1704 - Larry Miller

Looking forward to this (havent gotten to Larry getting on mic yet), I've always thought of Larry as a Jimmy type of comedian, who can bring the funny to any conversation regardless of anyone else in the room being funny

Halfway through... this is like a guest lecture. There were a lot of great stories, but I admit that on a few occasions, I said aloud "oh my god, shut up."

• Like 5

Sad to say I found this interminably boring. I really enjoyed the Richard Lewis episode and am generally game for listening to old greats ramble on mic, but there was just so little payoff or humor to it. And unfortunately the guys were too respectful and reverential to bust his balls about it, not that I blame them.

C+

Edit: I was very entertained that Larry now sounds similar to one Robert Parsimony who I'm quite fond of, so that's fun!

• Like 3

NNF remains the only podcast that I've never bailed on before the end of an episode. But man was that streak close to being over with this one.

• Like 3

For those who listened, did Larry go into any history about his head injury at all? I remember when that happened it was super-iffy whether or not he'd be able to do anything afterward.

For those who listened, did Larry go into any history about his head injury at all? I remember when that happened it was super-iffy whether or not he'd be able to do anything afterward.

He did not go into the head injury, nor was it asked. Larry seemed sharp, but he sounded a little frail. His stories were interesting but I was maybe a little over excited for this interview and found it somewhat dull and humorless. The guys were understandably reverential and didn't jack with him as much as they normally would, and when Jimmy occasionally tried, it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It didn't seem to be a great format for Larry Miller.

In their defense, this was following a fantastic episode with Chip Pope!

He did not go into the head injury, nor was it asked. Larry seemed sharp, but he sounded a little frail. His stories were interesting but I was maybe a little over excited for this interview and found it somewhat dull and humorless. The guys were understandably reverential and didn't jack with him as much as they normally would, and when Jimmy occasionally tried, it seemed to fall on deaf ears. It didn't seem to be a great format for Larry Miller.

Thank you for the reply! I don't know much about how Larry's been since the accident, I just remembered it was a pretty grizzly head injury and that's a long road to recovery no matter how you slice it. So when the chatter on the board was about the guys not getting a word in, it piqued my curiosity as to whether that was indicative of a healing brain or Larry just being Larry, who has always been a very talkative guy. Probably a little bit of both, I'd imagine.

Well I really enjoyed this interview. Maybe I would've liked more stand-up stories, but I could listen to Larry Miller talk about anything for hours.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is my least favourite flavour of NNF. The best Never Not Funny is a conversation, a give and take, the show really loses something when Jimmy is too referential towards a guest. This was just kind of dull.

The only thing that really bogged me down was the rambling about "how great comedy is" and "how American the art of stand-up comedy is" and so forth. Because WE KNOW! We're listening to Never Not Funny, so of course we love comedy and stand-up. But Larry had some good stories in there. I wasn't aware of his head injury and the coma, so that might explain why he seemed 20 years older than he actually is.

The guys were understandably reverential and didn't jack with him as much as they normally would, and when Jimmy occasionally tried, it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Watching the video, Larry seemed to enjoy Jimmy's ball-busting, and Larry gave some back. The color of the suit business was good stuff.

• Like 1

Watching the video, Larry seemed to enjoy Jimmy's ball-busting, and Larry gave some back. The color of the suit business was good stuff.

That's actually a good idea- I'll give the video a shot. I did have a lot of expectations going into this one, and that's not the best way to go into a show!

Yeah I agree, and I don't want to say anything bad about Larry himself because I think he's been a legend in the past, but yeah not 'the best' episode ever for sure

Let us also keep in mind that Jimmy explained he had only just found out about losing an old, dear friend and was torn up about it.

Let us also keep in mind that Jimmy explained he had only just found out about losing an old, dear friend and was torn up about it.

I appreciate that Jimmy was having a hard time, but I really think that has nothing to do with it. it falls squarely on the nature of the guest and how familiar the NNF guys were with him.

Yeah, this is my least favourite flavour of NNF. The best Never Not Funny is a conversation, a give and take, the show really loses something when Jimmy is too referential towards a guest. This was just kind of dull.

I did find it funny when Jimmy checked in on Matt with a "Matt? You doing alright?" Because I'm pretty sure Matt had literally not been able to say anything for an hour.

• Like 3

That V-neck is honestly pretty conservative, but maybe Jimmy's not used to that shock of gray chest hair peeking out?

• Like 1

I always appreciate the lower named actors that NNF brings on. I immediately recognize them and enjoy hearing the behind the scenes stuff form a more subdued fame focus point. Larry has been around but never a house hold name.

Sign in to follow this