🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I know you guys, mostly Jason like to joke about 9/11... Constantly. I'm all up for making fun of anything yet I hope you guys will take the time to watch this video:

Watch the fathers, mothers, daughters, sons, etc jumping to their deaths. It happened guys and from a first hand experience it still effects people till this day. All I ask is for a podcast a love to refrain from constant belittling of such a tragic event. I'm sure the Mod will get rid of this before it gets into the right hands, but I hope your team does the right thing.

Thank you

Not QUITE the type of negative response that we're used to seeing after a live episode hits...

I wanted to express my outrage as well, but between Jason abusing the audience and the sound quality being absolute garbage, I couldn't even listen to it.

Does that take us back to a place of normalcy? :)

• Like 3

What do you feel should be the rules for joking about tragedies? Is there a time limit, and distance limit, or should we all just avoid things that you personally care about?

As long as a joke isn't malicious or intended to offend someone, the time distance between a tragedy and joking about it is however long it takes for me to think of a joke I like. I remember telling jokes after my grandfather died... in the hospital room with his dead body surrounded by his children. Because... it was fucking weird, right? What's the appropriate amount of time to stare at someone you loved after he or she died? It's awkward for us all to be standing their talking and planning how to deal with this corpse in front of us, but it would also be pretty fucking weird to be the first person to leave the room. "Excuse me, I gotta pee" or something.

Being an Italian family, of course we planned dinner because the whole family was there. Pasta time, guys!

• Like 4

RedHotBeef. I believe in the South Park ideology of, if you can't joke about EVERYTHING than you can't joke about ANYTHING. Saying that though, 9/11 jokes have become a recurring joke on HDTGM and that's why I just wanted to remind them what happened that day. When an event like 9/11 becomes a gimmick on your show, it's time to take a step back and reevaluate it. It seems like every episode now they make a joke about 9/11, a source for cheap laughs for them. I see where you're coming from and I agree with you for the most part, I just want them to stop using it so excessively. They're comedians, they should be able to come up with new material, not the same shock comedy joke over and over again.

hate to break it to you, but it's a been a recurring joke for just about everybody in comedy for quite awhile now... it was 14 years ago and, although it doesn't mean what happened that day was any less horrible, being able to laugh about it is a sign of acceptance and, ultimately, healing. I'm not disputing the fact that it's somewhat cheap, or even borderline hack at this point... however, creating an account on the forums with the express purpose of being sanctimonious about it is just absurd.

correct me if I'm wrong, but it always seems that the first person in line to admonish someone for making light of a tragedy is the furthest person from actually being effected by it in any tangible way.

• Like 4

The 9/11 references on this show are usually SO broad or ridiculous though that it could almost be a stand-in for ANY big tragedy or historical atrocity, but it just so happens that this is one of the most recent and it happened here in the U.S., so it's going to stand out a little more to most of us. Without looking, I'd guess that something like the Holocaust probably gets brought up more, which was a tragedy on a much larger scale, but it would be silly to blame THAT on "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze". I mean, it didn't even happen in New York...

See? GEOGRAPHY was the punchline.

• Like 2

Yoinks, between this and the guy that thinks Scotty Auk & PFT are Grand Dragons in the KKK...iPod, iPad, iJustdontknowanymore!

• Like 4

Correct me if I'm wrong but Paul and Jason are from NYC or spent a lot of time there. they might have even been in the city that day. I don't thing they need reminding of how awful of a tragedy it was. The jokes are just broad references, it's not like they are personally making fun of people that died that day.

Jason is from Northeast, not NY.

Jason doesn't have a Twitter that would allow me to see where he's from, so he hardly even qualifies as a person, at least as far as the Internet is concerned. He's a citizen of nowhere, which of course is Erehwon spelled backwards.

Wait a minute, people died? Gosh, that changes everything. Funny how nobody bitches about Hiroshima jokes or comparing characters to real life serial killers and such. Nope but we can't dare make jokes about an event that you happen to arbitrarily give a shit about.

Why are you listening to a podcast where they discuss maximum overdrive? Don't you care that so many fathers and mothers were killed in real vehicle accidents?

Jason is from Northeast, not NY.

Northeast isn't a state or a city. Also, new York is in the northeast part of our country. Not saying he's from new York but your comment is just so weird.

It's like there's a glass of 7 up that somebody mistakes for water so you say "that's not water, it's clear liquid."

The sensitivity around 9-11 jokes is what makes 9-11 a prime target for jokes. 14 years after the fact, 9-11 jokes are really more normal than not at this point.