🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
ssrobison

Beowulf (2007)

I know someone else listed the low budget straight-to-video version of Beowulf from 1999, but I think this high budget motion captured animated movie is far superior in how crazy it is. This specific kind of motion capture 3D animation that Zemeckis is known for is so creepy and off-putting. Combine it with the story of Beowulf that is already batshit insane---you have a winner! Let me be clear, this movie is not good and I especially like how it doesn't really appeal to anyone in particular from any age, gender, or class. I'm truly amazed it was ever produced. Just to give you a taste of its lunacy---here is a screen capture of a naked animated Beowulf fighting Grendel. I love how they cover of his cock in interesting ways while he fights. I think this is the perfect movie for "How Did this Get Made" to cover.

twmoat_beowulf.jpg

Weirdly, the best movie version of this story, so far, is Beowulf&Grendel with Gerard Butler and Sarah Polley. The one with Christopher Lambert is just strange in the sci-fi milieu. The semi-animated one is crazy pants.

I think most issues with it would go away if they'd just shot the thing live-action instead of the weird halfway between animation and motion-capture thing.

Its a strange one but I enjoyed it. I am shocked that they havent tried to adapt it again given the success of Game of Thrones and Vikings recently.

Even more crazy than this movie is that the 13th Warrior is based on The Eaters of the Dead which was Michael Crichtons attempt making Beowulf a more interesting story than the poem it was based on.

Sign in to follow this