🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SoundsLikeMLo

Sklarbro Country Episode 72 - The One Where Steve Rannazzisi lies about escaping 9/11

It's under the Howl paywall now, but for those of you who may not have heard, actor/comedian Steve Rannazzisi recently admitted that he made up a story about working in the south tower during 9/11, fleeing the building once the north tower was hit:

Steve Rannazzisi, Comedian Who Told of 9/11 Escape, Admits He Lied

It may or may not be of any interest to any of you, but he told this fabricated story on episode 72 of Sklarbro Country. Pretty unique in that it will always be a part of the Sklarbro backlogs.

I can't imagine Rannazzisi is the first person to embellish a story on a podcast, but the degree to which he is lying and the subject matter of which he is lying about make him seem not all that great at the moment.

Its such a shame, because we've all said stupid shit when we were young which we regret..but...usually not about something so sensitive.

I was just reading about this. I kind of wonder if there's some kind of compulsive lying thing going on, because that Times article also pointed out that he lied about where he went to school. It's all so strange.

I was just reading about this. I kind of wonder if there's some kind of compulsive lying thing going on, because that Times article also pointed out that he lied about where he went to school. It's all so strange.

He used it to have a "cool" story for school and later interviews/podcasts. Doesn't need it now since he's famous, and, not coincidentally, has a standup special coming out.

Also, every New Yorker's 9/11 story is at least 1% embellished. Possible everything he said was true except being in WTC building and working there.

Also, every New Yorker's 9/11 story is at least 1% embellished. Possible everything he said was true except being in WTC building and working there.

That is pretty much the meat of his story, though. The only truth seems to be he worked in an office in New York. I've wondered why he didn't seem to mingle with the comedy world in the way his League costars do. Maybe this provides some insight into the sort of person he is.

• Like 1

He used it to have a "cool" story for school and later interviews/podcasts. Doesn't need it now since he's famous, and, not coincidentally, has a standup special coming out.

Except he's admitted the entire story is made up out of whole cloth. He wasn't there, his wife didn't work there, he didn't work for Merrill Lynch and didn't get a severance from them, he didn't see the 2nd plane hit from the street, etc., etc. I mean he went into heavy detail in that story and none of it actually happened. It's all really weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if CC pulls his special, to be honest.

Its such a shame, because we've all said stupid shit when we were young which we regret..but...usually not about something so sensitive.

It's not even that. He made a story up 15 years ago to tell at parties. It's shitty, but not a huge deal.

Dining out on that lie over and over again on podcasts is something altogether different. Dude clearly has some serious issues that he might only be beginning to face now.

Sign in to follow this