🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 119 - Maximum Overdrive: LIVE!

Also my most important question of the week is who won the Star Wars gif battle in the mini-ep thread.

Ewoks.

Hopefully, this makes up for it.

giphy.gif

I hope the people that that thing was setting out to kill survived!

Why is it anyway?

• Like 2

Ewoks.

I hope the people that that thing was setting out to kill survived!

Why is it anyway?

They survived and they're still survivors.

• Like 4

Just watched Trucks, and i would say it's definitely the better movie, but Maximum Overdrive is the better HDTGM movie.

Although there's still plenty to talk about in Trucks, like how in order to deal with a massive explosion and chemical leak, the government sends 2 guys, and in order to deal with a region wide blackout the power company just sends one guy.

And how when somebody grabs Air Force dad's daughter's arm to hurry her along he says "hey take it easy with the offspring pal."

Rules of vehicular possession is still random too, cars seem to be fine, same with motorcycles, but anything truck like is a target for coming alive, even a toy. Minivans count as cars, but Pickup trucks count as trucks and not cars, and things inside trucks can come alive too, also helicopters.

Better writing, directing, storytelling (not that it was a very high bar to meet) Better ending too. The survivors of Rays, are presumably not still survivors. (shoulda went on a boat, but no, let's trust the heelacopteraerialplane to not be evil.)

• Like 1

Why is it anyway?

Just noticed that I'd typed why instead of what. I meant to ask what the little fella is.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been brought up or not; but, in the uncut version that sceen where that kid gets run over by the steam roller was apparently much more gruesome. They filled this dummy with fake blood and when it crushes his head, blood splattered all over the roller. I guess the MPAA found that too disturbing.

But the level of acting/dialogue was suitable??

Why is it anyway?

Just noticed that I'd typed why instead of what. I meant to ask what the little fella is.

Lol! I thought you were just in a philosophical mood this morning.

Honestly, I didn't make this one. I did have a Lhasa Apso that kind of looked like this guy though. So that would be my best guess.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been brought up or not; but, in the uncut version that sceen where that kid gets run over by the steam roller was apparently much more gruesome. They filled this dummy with fake blood and when it crushes his head, blood splattered all over the roller. I guess the MPAA found that too disturbing.

But the level of acting/dialogue was suitable??

Like most things in this movie, that was actually an accident. They had filled a bag with fake blood and put it beside the dummy. The idea was supposed to be that after the steamroller ran over the kid, the blood would coat the roller (which has always struck me as very cartoon-ish). When they went to film the scene, bag o' blood exploded too early, so it looked like the kid's head blew out.

• Like 1

Like most things in this movie, that was actually an accident. They had filled a bag with fake blood and put it beside the dummy. The idea was supposed to be that after the steamroller ran over the kid, the blood would coat the roller (which has always struck me as very cartoon-ish). When they went to film the scene, bag o' blood exploded too early, so it looked like the kid's head blew out.

It doesn't surprise me at all that possibly the most memorable visual associated with the film was a complete accident.

• Like 3

Lol! I thought you were just in a philosophical this morning.

Ha! I'm way too simple-minded to have philosophical thoughts.

I did have a Lhasa Apso that kind of looked like this guy though.

Aww, cute.

I found the origin of the gif. Turns out, it's not a robot teddy bear photoshopped onto a dog. It's a Shih Tzu dressed in a teddy bear costume. The article left out mention of Munchkin the Shih Tzu's victims.

• Like 1

Correction:

The comet in this movie, is in fact a Hale–Bopp / UFO Comet it looks like a comet to the unknowing eye but is in fact a UFO. and if your heart is pure and brave to a very lucky few that comet will teleport you up and take you to anther world, where a new life will beginning.

Other wise it will just kill you with a truck for not believing.

• Like 7

I have not seen this movie but based on the podcast I had this theory about the bulldozer constantly running over the one car - it's a rapist. Given than there is no sex on screen, but there are perverts, a guy on coke would want to fit in some hardcore sex with their hardcore violence. He hates that one guy in the gas station, so what better way to get back at him than to rape his car in front of him. Also, it's a pedophile because it ran over that kid.

I think I can explain the opening scene, it's Supernan 3:

Richard Pryor hacked the bank sign and ATM.

No human being has any semblance of motor skills.

Every accident is the product of some lethal Rube Goldberg machine.

The only alternative explanation is that the entire opening consists of stock footage from the segment of infomercials where the actor is incapable of doing anything a normal human being could easily do:

"Tired of watermelons murdering you in your car? Get Maximum Overdrive!"

Super funny episode. Andy Daly was a great addition to the team. Wished they had talked more about the draw bridge scene.

The extreme carnanage generated by a partially, and very slow opening bridge that would easily have be avoided by the drivers keeping their foot on the brake is rediculously fun. You would think a bomb hit the bridge. Watermelons rule.

Keep up the great work!

Not sure if this was brought up, but besides the waitress' line, "We made you!" Being incredibly insane... the fact that she rants and raves this twice in the film is even more absurd. If I was stuck with her and she did this the second time, I'd be like... "Please will a machine gun truck just shoot her already!" And thank God that happened.

I heard what that guy said. He clearly said the n-word. I've seen this movie hundreds of times, and I know he said it.

It's "What's wrong there, sweet thing." The line is also in the script. Whatever one can say about King's script-- that it's illogical, messy, filled with broad characters--one can't say that it's ungrammatical. Even though King was under the influence, his grasp of grammar did not leave him. He wouldn't have written "noun modifer + adjective + noun."

• Like 4

Okay, so the machines were brought to life by aliens but why do they know English? We have the ATM at the beginning of the movie calling Stephen King an asshole and the bank telling people to go fuck themselves. That's some pretty high level English. The machine gun jeep thing comes and uses morse code to tell the people of the Dixie Boy to fill them up with gasoline. Then at the end of the movie the speaker/menu of a fast food restaurant actually speaks English! It talks! There is nobody on the other end of it to say something, but because people talk through it it learned how to speak English? If this was the case why not get the ice cream truck to tell the humans to fill them up rather than chance it with morse code? Or get a blimp or something else that could display a message to write it out and tell them. All I'm saying is that these vehicles took a big chance in assuming somebody would be able to understand morse code which is a form of communication that a very small number of the population knows. Also, did they get the machine gun jeep thing to tell them because it's the only machine that knew morse code because it's a military vehicle? The trucks honk at the humans a few times, so why couldn't one of them honk out morse code?

• Like 4

I think that King really missed out on a golden moment. It would have been amazing to see one of the 20 people trap(?) have a pacemaker and it broken out all "Alien" style.

One more thing. Maybe what caused this random selection on machines to come alive was was not a meteor or aliens but because of hearing shitty AC/DC all the time.

vaya con dios, bro

• Like 1

I heard what that guy said. He clearly said the n-word. I've seen this movie hundreds of times, and I know he said it.

There is a phenomenon where once your brain makes sense out of something, it reapplies that same decoding to it over and over. It can be described as "once you hear it, you can't unhear it." This 50 second clip explains it better than I ever could:

https://soundcloud.c...-audio-illusion

Basically once you heard the n-bomb your brain kept decoding it as an n-bomb

(ps does anyone know if there is a way to embed soundcloud links like youtube links?)

• Like 4

One more thing just popped into my brain this morning.

They commented on the lack of reaction the kids gives to seeing the whole town murdered. True for the most part, he kind of just stares blankly at the bodies and continues on his bike. But after he's seen the last body, he gives this reaction shot where he shakes his head in what I can only describe as world-weary anger. Comparable to the end of Planet of the Apes: "You really finally did it. You maniacs! You blew it up!"

That fucking kid knows more than he's letting on.

• Like 2

Comparable to the end of Planet of the Apes: "You really finally did it. You maniacs! You blew it up!"

Spoiler alert!!!!!11!!!

• Like 1

Okay, so the machines were brought to life by aliens but why do they know English? We have the ATM at the beginning of the movie calling Stephen King an asshole and the bank telling people to go fuck themselves. That's some pretty high level English. The machine gun jeep thing comes and uses morse code to tell the people of the Dixie Boy to fill them up with gasoline. Then at the end of the movie the speaker/menu of a fast food restaurant actually speaks English! It talks! There is nobody on the other end of it to say something, but because people talk through it it learned how to speak English? If this was the case why not get the ice cream truck to tell the humans to fill them up rather than chance it with morse code? Or get a blimp or something else that could display a message to write it out and tell them. All I'm saying is that these vehicles took a big chance in assuming somebody would be able to understand morse code which is a form of communication that a very small number of the population knows. Also, did they get the machine gun jeep thing to tell them because it's the only machine that knew morse code because it's a military vehicle? The trucks honk at the humans a few times, so why couldn't one of them honk out morse code?

i said a similar thing earlier and you just got me thinking about it again ... wasn't there a radio in the shack? the waitress used it?

why not just send a voice through that.

i would loved to have heard a "smashie and nicey"esq voice come through (a little enfield/whitehouse humour there)

Smashie-and-Nicey-008.jpg

• Like 1

One more thing just popped into my brain this morning.

They commented on the lack of reaction the kids gives to seeing the whole town murdered. True for the most part, he kind of just stares blankly at the bodies and continues on his bike. But after he's seen the last body, he gives this reaction shot where he shakes his head in what I can only describe as world-weary anger. Comparable to the end of Planet of the Apes: "You really finally did it. You maniacs! You blew it up!"

That fucking kid knows more than he's letting on.

His last reaction can be interpreted so many ways. I thought he was shaking his head like he was disappointed in everyone for dying.