🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 271 — Muskot Love

This week Randy and Jason discuss a costume fueled boxing dispute and hookers that wrestle. Then, Kyle Bornheimer joins the show to talk about the art of making independent films in the 90's, as well as why post game press conferences would be alien even to aliens. Later, the gang discusses why Terrell Owens had good reason to throw coffee at a man, why mascots have poor judgement, and why Curt Schilling was reading into the blood moon too much. Lastly, Jesse Ventura calls in to reveal how he's been making money on the side.

We talkin' about The Cobra, we talking about Dave Parker?

I'm originally from PA, and grew up a Pirates fan. Jump forward in time, the wife and I are at a dog track in Florida and I'm wearing a Pirates cap. I look down the benches, see a big family, and the one guy looks like Dave Parker. I ask the wife, if she thought it could be Dave Parker. My wife looks at me like I'm talking in tongues. She is from Chicago, and has no idea who Dave Parker is.

Every few minutes I look down the bench towards the family, and I swear they are looking back at me. The wife tells me to stop looking, because I'm obviously creeping these people out. With each race that occurs, the guy that looks like Dave Parker walks past me and I turn into a silent munk. Dave Parker walks away, and I scurry down the bench to see if somebody else in his group can confirm that it is Dave Parker. Before I can ask my question, a gentleman in his group says to me, "yeah, it's really Dave Parker, and he's wondering when you are going to come over."

Eventually Dave returns to his family, and I go to meet and talk to him for a few minutes. Nice guy. He was with his family, he could have told me to instantly go away, but he was very gracious.

Another time, because of where I worked at the time, I got to meet Lou Brock. Who was also awesome. But I'll have to wait until Lou is brought up on the podcast to tell my fanboy story about the time I met Lou Brock.

Henderson!

• Like 1

Dear Brothers Sklar,

I thought it was funny that you were talking with Kyle about how so much in your working lives is out of control and in other people's hands (e.g. "Will my show be picked up?"), and how sports can take you away from that, because isn't sports really just another thing in your lives that you can't control? I love watching sports, don't get me wrong, I just hate that when I watch games, my mood for the day is very much dependent on the outcome of the game (with many apologies to my wife). When you guys said you've changed a bit in that respect, did you mean you have not let your lives be affected as much by sports outcomes?

I'm a paranoid sports fan like you guys (although I haven't sacrificed any BBQ chicken yet, I may get to that level someday). I am a die hard Argentina soccer fan, and had to drive home from a road trip during the 2014 #WorldCup final. I thought the game would have been over by the time I got home, but as soon as I turned on the game, Germany scored. I'm still not convinced that wasn't my fault.

Also, as a BYU fan, I am just like you guys as far as negativity goes. After all that national attention for those amazing comeback wins, I couldn't even enjoy those because I just kept thinking "they can't keep this up, we are just getting too lucky, etc etc." Then Michigan had to go and really prove me right, thanks a LOT, Harbaugh (I'm also a 49er fan).

Anyway, keep up the great work, you guys. Love that you've had Adomian these last two eps. Any chance we'll get an update from Richard Branson one of these days?

Great ep, Kyle is awesome.

One of my favorite weird Sklarboro quirks is how often the 1980s Cubs come up. Is Leon Durham secretly sponsoring the show?

Larry Bittner is underwriting a lot of it, FYI. As far as the sports thing, I think we both were realizing how fucking toxic we were to watch games with and it just wasn't fun for people to watch with us and at some point, that's just not cool. We have to learn how to control those emotions while watching. It's hard though. But it's a great lesson. Once again, sports teaches us, in a low stakes way, how to overcome that fear of losing or loss or something catastrophic going wrong. If we can control it while watching or know how to put it in it's proper place, (it's just a game), then maybe we can do it when a show of ours doesn't get picked up or we lose a role in a show.

Kyle totally got it, he's such a great guy and a phenomenal comedic actor. Was a blast working with him on Playing House. If we have anything to say about it, we'll work with him again for sure. Thanks for the comments BTW, love to now be on these boards.

R and J

And Origami Mami: incredible Parker story. You were like a snake charmer on that bench that day. So cool. Keith Hernandez one time, at a chinese restaurant in St. Louis, near our house, the Peeking Inn, waved us over after we had been ogling him over our crab rangoon for a half an hour. Same thing. I think he just wanted the awkwardness to end. Then he offered each of us a bump of cocaine. We were 10.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this