🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 208 — LIVE from Hollywood Improv

Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh join Matt Besser for an improv4humans recorded LIVE from the Hollywood Improv in Los Angeles! They’ll explore how apocalypse survivors believe that Ian's elementary school ability to make crystals will save them, the effects of getting a low star rating from other humans, and the night the two biggest Tom Stoppard fans finally meet him. Make sure to get the Upright Citizens Brigade television show season 3 now available on DVD, the UCB Comedy Improv Manual, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Normally, I'd feel a modicum of shame refreshing a webpage repeatedly before going to sleep just to find out who's going to be on a podcast I'll listen to in the morning, but the decision paid off. What a satisfying reveal seeing Ian Roberts' face pop up.

• Like 1

Fantastic sound for a live episode. Props to whoever recorded it.

• Like 6

Here is a breakdown of the scenes from this episode. All suggestions (from a live audience or online) are called Twitter Suggestions. That's why they're labeled that way.

- Intro Story – Snarky signs reprimand customers who don’t wash hands – 3 men in a single bathroom discuss being forced to wash hands by “the man” (1:42)

- Twitter Suggestion – Confetti – Commander uses long-range confetti canon to convince the enemy the war is over (6:23)

- Question from Listener – “What is the best/worst thing that happened to you at a concert?” – Prosecutor and defendant have no memory of the event but both feel they’re right (12:20)

- Intro Story – Ian won the county science fair as a kid – Apocalypse survivors get excited when they meet the man they think can make electricity (16:47)

- Twitter Suggestion – Autocorrect – Crazy Tom Stoppard fans finally get to meet their playwright hero (26:48)

- Question from Listener – “What happened the last time you were lost?” –Customer’s low rating makes it hard for him to get through a normal day (37:30)

- Question from Listener – “If you could try your hand at any job in the world for a week, what would you be most curious or eager to try?” – NBA players/Fat Albert gang are not happy that competition winner gets to play in a game (45:15)

- Twitter Suggestion – Silver spoon – Two friends brainstorm a story to convince mom that they found her dollar so they can keep it (51:30)

- Twitter Suggestion – Hitchhiking – Deathmobile driver picks up hesitant hitchhikers (57:43)

- Twitter Suggestion – Parachute – Angry farmers accuse man who accidentally parachuted into their field of stealing corn (1:03:50)

- Intro story – Advertising what you love – Ian pursues a hidden camera commercial for wet wipes (1:11:18)

- Kevin The Intern's Intern

• Like 4

Holy crap, when the Cosby kids showed up in that NBA sketch, I started laughing so hard I nearly cried.

• Like 5

Warms my heart to hear Ian talk about his and his daughter's enjoyment of Daniel Bryan. Huge fan of that dude.

• Like 2

Weirdly tepid applause on this, for people watching three masters of 'prov fuck around.

• Like 7

Seriously great episode. You can tell how long these dudes have been crushin' scenes together. And the audience didn't even appreciate the legends at work.

That fucking Tom Stoppard scene was hilarious, and I also had no real idea who Tom Stoppard is, but his work is pretty great.

• Like 2

Came to post that the sound was amazing for a live ep, the audience was weirdly quiet and that this was pretty great.

Beat to it.

• Like 1

wow "did you ever do a science project?" is maybe the best audience question for improv4humans ive ever heard, great job i4h audience guy

• Like 9

Came to post that the sound was amazing for a live ep, the audience was weirdly quiet and that this was pretty great.

Beat to it.

At least you admit defeat.

Mirroring some previous posts in saying great episode with oddly unresponsive crowd. Some of the laughs in this episode had me gasping for breath. The Cosby Kids and Ian doing a sting commercial for wetwipes was some "best of" material.

• Like 1

Here is a breakdown of the scenes from this episode. All suggestions (from a live audience or online) are called Twitter Suggestions. That's why they're labeled that way.

- Intro Story – Snarky signs reprimand customers who don’t wash hands – 3 men in a single bathroom discuss being forced to wash hands by “the man” (1:42)

- Twitter Suggestion – Confetti – Commander uses long-range confetti canon to convince the enemy the war is over (6:23)

- Question from Listener – “What is the best/worst thing that happened to you at a concert?” – Prosecutor and defendant have no memory of the event but both feel they’re right (12:20)

- Intro Story – Ian won the county science fair as a kid – Apocalypse survivors get excited when they meet the man they think can make electricity (16:47)

- Twitter Suggestion – Autocorrect – Crazy Tom Stoppard fans finally get to meet their playwright hero (26:48)

- Question from Listener – “What happened the last time you were lost?” –Customer’s low rating makes it hard for him to get through a normal day (37:30)

- Question from Listener – “If you could try your hand at any job in the world for a week, what would you be most curious or eager to try?” – NBA players/Fat Albert gang are not happy that competition winner gets to play in a game (45:15)

- Twitter Suggestion – Silver spoon – Two friends brainstorm a story to convince mom that they found her dollar so they can keep it (51:30)

- Twitter Suggestion – Hitchhiking – Deathmobile driver picks up hesitant hitchhikers (57:43)

- Twitter Suggestion – Parachute – Angry farmers accuse man who accidentally parachuted into their field of stealing corn (1:03:50)

- Intro story – Advertising what you love – Ian pursues a hidden camera commercial for wet wipes (1:11:18)

- Kevin The Intern's Intern

You are awesome dude.

That Ass Wipes scene was totally brilliant. I had the thought; Yep, these are definitely the creators of Ass Pennies.

• Like 1

As someone who genuinely loves Tom Stoppard (and his 3rd wife, Sabrina Guinness etc), that scene was an unexpected delight - but really the whole episode was ridiculously on point!

what the butt is wrong with this audience? Are they not aware that they're watching 3 improv masters? Did Jamie Flam open for them or something and kill the vibe? (he still does the Hollywood Improv, right? I'm behind on my LoShoPo's)

• Like 2

This podcast was done in the "lab room" at The Improv for some pre-fest shows for LAPodfest. There was barely anyone in the small room, and I think for many of them they might have been watching improv for the first time. They actually were pretty cool considering the environment. Also the audiences aren't really mic-ed that well on shows outside the UCB.

That being said i4h is looking to tour more in 2016 to support some upcoming projects!

• Like 3

did you guys get a load of how quiet that audience was? jeesh! it's like a lot of em never saw improv b4.