🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 274 — Tie Up Your Horse and Tie One On

Randy and Jason discuss why Johnny Manziel is officially all grown up and why you know you're flopping in soccer when you help yourself into the stretcher. Then, the Sklars welcome Andrew Santino who talks about his new show I'm Dying Up Here, why comedy is one of the key ways to deal with tragedy, and America's greatest ball parks. Later, in Quick Hits, the gang discusses why Jay Glazier probably won't get drafted, newlywed diehard football fans, and why the life of Bully Beatdown star Jason Miller has taken an ironic turn. Lastly, Nic Cage calls in to discuss the potential of hockey in Las Vegas.

I'm liking the sports talk. Seems like a lot of podcasts shy away from it, glad you guys don't. Andrew was a great guest. If I'm not mistaken, he was on the Meltdown this passed season and he did a bit that was funny, but you could tell it had most of the crowd frozen in politically-correct awkwardness. I'm not going to spoil it. It was like Mr. Santino wanted the laugh, but he also welcomed that awkwardness from the audience.

Stopped in Pittsburgh earlier this year, so I'm glad you all brought up PNC Park. Usually you see it from the inside the park looking out onto the city - it's a great view! (The last time I saw the Pirates play in Pittsburgh it was in the Three Rivers Stadium. Think Barry Bonds, Andy Van Slyke...) Anyhoo back to this year, the outside of the stadium has Pirate legends in bronze statues, Stargell, Clemente... Along the river side of the stadium, they leave the walkway open, it's so great! It's like being a kid looking through a knot hole. Nothing going on this day, just stopped by as I was flying out of Pittsburgh.

https://flic.kr/p/usQdkZ

(hopefully that link works)

Walk a little further along the river, and you come upon Heinz Field. If you haven't done one of your videos of the city of Pittsburgh, you really should. Forget about the cliche steel mill and sandwich shots, MNF has done that to death. There is so much sports history within just couple blocks.

Henderson!

• Like 1

I hate to defend Murphy (and yes, I'm a Mets fan), but I'm not crazy about the "This guy hit a bunch of home runs, so let's talk about something stupid he said 8 months ago" approach. If it's worth talking about, talk about it when it happens, not because he's suddenly more famous. He's openly a devout Christian, hence not taking the "no comment" approach, and within those parameters, I think what he said was reasonably subdued. There are plenty of athletes and other people connected to pro sports who say much more intolerant things under the guise of religion.

Anyway, good ep, wasn't really familiar with Andrew but he seems cool.

Fair enough on the Murphy comments. See your points. We did speak about it when he came out with those comments, and at a time when the Mets weren't really relevant though. And yes, there are plenty of athletes who are way worse in terms of being intolerant under the guise of religion. That's a great point. But we would argue that religion has NO place in sports. There's nothing religious about them and therefore shouldn't exist in answers to questions. Maybe he could say something like, "I'm a deeply religious person and therefore conflicted on this issue. It's something I prefer to talk about and deal with personally and since it's an abstract idea now, it's hard for me to answer." Who could argue with that?

• Like 2

We did speak about it when he came out with those comments, and at a time when the Mets weren't really relevant though.

Cool, I didn't remember that. I didn't say this very well (or I guess at all), but more than "don't talk about this" (which I obviously don't have any right to say even if I thought it), I meant that I'd rather think about the amazing thing that's happening now rather than something that's pretty much been forgotten since it was relatively innocuous and long ago.

And yes, there are plenty of athletes who are way worse in terms of being intolerant under the guise of religion. That's a great point. But we would argue that religion has NO place in sports. There's nothing religious about them and therefore shouldn't exist in answers to questions. Maybe he could say something like, "I'm a deeply religious person and therefore conflicted on this issue. It's something I prefer to talk about and deal with personally and since it's an abstract idea now, it's hard for me to answer." Who could argue with that?

I agree! I think that whatever media member is asking that question is putting (some) guys in an impossible situation. I'd rather not have religion serve as an excuse, but I guess I prefer it to someone just being backwards on their own without having been taught it their whole life. And that answer is great, but 99.9% of athletes could never come up with that on the fly.

Coincidentally enough, Torii Hunter, who was probably the most well-known and extreme case of this exact phenomenon, retired today.

Can I just say that I love the back and forth that is going on on the forums now? So glad the Sklars are part of it.

All we're missing now is DVK showing up asking "we good here?"

Amazing Article!!! Holy shit that said it so well. And from someone who is gay and a Mets fans. That's just the best. We really want to know what a person like that is thinking. What are the issues they are grappling with and reading the article, we totally get how complicated an issue it is. I loved how that person said, "maybe religion has to evolve more." Hold on a second, religion is the one force that tries it's hardest to suppress evolution. Creationists? Hello!!! But I like the hope in the article. I still think that person is giving Daniel Murphy too much of a pass. Just our humble opinions. And how sweet would it be if Daniel Murphy at some point in the near future, reversed his statements? That would be incredible. We can only hope. So glad about the discussions of the episodes. It's so fun to talk with you guys post episode.

R and J

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this