🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 121.5 - Minisode 121.5

Yeah, and I'm hoping they don't use it again. Not to start a whole "Why did they change the theme?!" discussion again, but I wasn't a big fan. Then again, it's better than anything I could come up with, I'm sure.

It sounds like a rejected demo from Kanye West's 808's & Heartbreaks

• Like 1

About Paul's point about a murder being on that tape, there is an infamous case in Canada about that very thing.

Paul Bernardo was implicated/thought to be involved with around 30 horrific sexual assaults, a few later known as the Scarborough Rapes. His girlfriend, Karla Homolka was also charged in relation to 4 of these crimes, with one of the victims being Homolka's sister. Bernardo made tapes of himself and Homolka raping and assaulting 4 different girls, later murdering them (again one being Homolka's teenage sister). Crown prosecutors cut a deal with Homolka and she'd testify against Bernardo, greatly reducing her sentence, with her alleging that she wasn't an active party to the offences.

Bernardo told his lawyer to go to his house and retrieve these tapes (and not to view them), after the police had already searched it. The lawyer held onto the tapes for over a year eventually withdrawing from the case and turning them over to Bernardo's next lawyer.The tapes showed that Homolka was a rather active participant in the crimes.The original lawyer stated he planned to turn over the tapes eventually to use in Bernardo's defense.

It's a huge case in law school and it is referenced in many classes like Criminal Procedure, Evidence and Legal Ethics/Professional Responsibility.

• Like 4

In regard to Paul's Force Awakens theory, I have to say, although I think it is highly likely (not as Kylo Ren, but as an Emperor type figure), I sincerely hope that's not what happens in the movie. According to the rumor I saw, this theory is based on the fact Mark Hamill hasn't been seen in any of the promotion materials for the movie so it will be a huge shock when he is revealed to be the bad guy. I can't think of that coming off as anything but derivative--his father was a noble Jedi Knight, but grew up to be evil; he was a noble Jedi Knight, but grew up to be evil; Finn and Rey were noble Jedi Knights, and in thirty years, guess what happens...

It just seems so nihilistic.

My hope is Mark Hamill's absence in the promotion of the film is that a big part of it will be about the mystery of "Where's Luke Skywalker?" I would rather, when they find him, for Luke to be dead then for him to be evil--maybe all they find are recordings or something.

But who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll love it! It's still more Star Wars, and that's never a bad thing. I even like the prequels for what they are, even though I feel the Clone Wars cartoon did a much better job of telling the story of Anakin Skywalker. For my money, cartoon Anakin will always be my Anakin.

4057300-egdfgfdg.gif

• Like 1

Although, it doesn't make sense that one of the reasons that Anakin was easily drawn over to the dark side was because he enrolled in Jedi school so late and yet Luke was much much older, and got far less training when he learned to use the force and stayed good. At least he turning to the dark side would inject some much needed consistency into the official canon.

• Like 1

Would love for Paul, June and Jason with guest (and STAR WARS fan) Matt Gourley to do an episode on THE PHANTOM MENACE in tandem with the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. ATTACK OF THE CLONES is the worst film but punishingly boring where there's fun to be had with TPM.

Here's a poster I whipped up this aft. Things get pretty rough with Jason's Qui-Gon beard.

ketGquq.jpg

• Like 4

Although, it doesn't make sense that one of the reasons that Anakin was easily drawn over to the dark side was because he enrolled in Jedi school so late and yet Luke was much much older, and got far less training when he learned to use the force and stayed good. At least he turning to the dark side would inject some much needed consistency into the official canon.

My opinion might not count for much as I've never watched Episodes IV, V, or VI but here's as I understand it:

Anakin joined when he was too old after having a connection with his mother (learning impulsive emotion over measured detachment and diplomacy) and that was further exacerbated by his infatuation with Padme. I've always assumed he displaced his feelings for his mother on to Padme, as the one female constant in his life.

Luke on the other hand, while still too old by old Jedi standards, grew up relatively well-adjusted and more importantly, alone. He had Obi Wan after his uncle and aunt were killed, keeping him on an even keel (? Again not sure about this). Then he had Yoda to finish out his crash course in Force Training imparting further wisdom. By the time VI is over, I'd wager Luke is old enough to see Vader's trajectory and avoid it like the dickens. Luke still has his sister, Han and a (presumably) solid support network to get through any lingering anger over Vader's death.

• Like 1

I agree with you, but that more or less undermines and negates Luke's journey in RotJ. A huge part of that movie is Luke's struggle between the Light and the Dark. He wants to be good, but now that he knows Vader is his father, how much of that Darkness is in him? A part of this struggle can be seen in Lucas' heavy-handed shirt symbolism. Throughout the movie, Luke is dressed in black, but once he definitively chooses the Light Side, his shirt is revealed to be white underneath--right across his heart (awwwwwww).

luke24.jpg

Yes, he was too old, but that just makes his journey all the more impressive. He faces his Temptation, and despite all the odds against him, he comes out clean on the other side. If Luke turns evil in FA, it would be like after all the training and growth Daniel LaRusso underwent during the Karate Kid, he used it to supplant Billy Zabka as the biggest bully in school.

I really do recommend The Clones Wars (and Rebels) as supplemental entities. Yes, they can be kiddie and cheesy, but so can the movies. It just makes Anakin's heel-turn seem much less abrupt when you realize that a) unlike Luke, he's always been kind of a dick (but in a likable way), b ) his problem is he cares about EVERYONE too much, even the clones under his command, and c) the Jedi Order was pretty broken, and were kind of asshats to him--he earned a spot on that council dammit!.

Would love for Paul, June and Jason with guest (and STAR WARS fan) Matt Gourley to do an episode on THE PHANTOM MENACE in tandem with the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. ATTACK OF THE CLONES is the worst film but punishingly boring where there's fun to be had with TPM.

I love the poster, I agree with you about AotC, and I would love Matt Gourley to come on again, but I just feel that TPM has been done to death. Maybe they should do Caravan of Courage or The Battle for Endor...they are both horrible and terrifying.

My opinion might not count for much as I've never watched Episodes IV, V, or VI

200.gif

Actually though, for having never seen them, you're right on point.

• Like 2

Wow, I finally got a comment read out on a minisode, I can die happy. And of course the best witch hunter is clearly Vincent Price.

• Like 4

I have been mulling over some more Earwolf Avenger choices but I still want to think on those a bit more. In the mean time my two cents on Episode VII Luke.

The only things we know for a fact is that a Luke like figure puts a robotic hand on R2D2 and he is missing from the poster. The Luke like figure probably is Luke. The background surroundings to that scene look similar to the background in the scene where Kylo Ren is coming out of a shuttle with some troopers. So those two scenes are probably connected. I think that the scenes in question are connected and happening at the beginning of the movie. Kylo Ren is hunting down Luke, finds him hiding on a planet, they fight and Ren and wins. This establishes the threat and skill of Ren early in the film as seals his place as a new Darth Vader like character. However, much like Obi Wan, Luke is able to appear again as a sort of "force ghost" to guide the new Jedi whether that be Rey or Finn or both. This would explain his absence from the poster because if he's a ghost most of the time that would be a big spoiler on the poster, and it could explain the scene of Leia crying. This also echos A New Hope with Luke becoming like Obi Wan in that film. Too old to fight, but still guides and trains the new Jedi.

• Like 1

The only things we know for a fact is that a Luke like figure puts a robotic hand on R2D2 and he is missing from the poster. The Luke like figure probably is Luke. The background surroundings to that scene look similar to the background in the scene where Kylo Ren is coming out of a shuttle with some troopers. So those two scenes are probably connected. I think that the scenes in question are connected and happening at the beginning of the movie. Kylo Ren is hunting down Luke, finds him hiding on a planet, they fight and Ren and wins. This establishes the threat and skill of Ren early in the film as seals his place as a new Darth Vader like character. However, much like Obi Wan, Luke is able to appear again as a sort of "force ghost" to guide the new Jedi whether that be Rey or Finn or both. This would explain his absence from the poster because if he's a ghost most of the time that would be a big spoiler on the poster, and it could explain the scene of Leia crying. This also echos A New Hope with Luke becoming like Obi Wan in that film. Too old to fight, but still guides and trains the new Jedi.

I like it, but how about this?

The movie opens with Kylo Ren chasing a mysterious hooded figure. Cornered, this figure lays his hand on his R2 unit and records the message, "Leia Organa Solo, you're my only hope." He then sends the droid away, his fate is uncertain. Leia gets this message, and since she is tied up with Republic stuff, she can't go after him. Han volunteers to go find him but she's "got a bad feeling about this." Han teams up with Rey and Finn and goes after Luke. It turns out Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son who has a hard on for Star Wars Collectibles--specifically anything Darth Vader related. He wasn't trying to kill Luke, he was trying to get a ultra-rare action figure. Han tries to reason with him, but he is struck down (since there's no way Ford is coming back to do another one). Finn and Rey escape with Chewie. The last shot of the movie is them entering a temple on a strange planet and out of the shadows steps Luke Skywalker.

End of movie.

• Like 3

I like it, but how about this?

The movie opens with Kylo Ren chasing a mysterious hooded figure. Cornered, this figure lays his hand on his R2 unit and records the message, "Leia Organa Solo, you're my only hope." He then sends the droid away, his fate is uncertain. Leia gets this message, and since she is tied up with Republic stuff, she can't go after him. Han volunteers to go find him but she's "got a bad feeling about this." Han teams up with Rey and Finn and goes after Luke. It turns out Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son who has a hard on for Star Wars Collectibles--specifically anything Darth Vader related. He wasn't trying to kill Luke, he was trying to get a ultra-rare action figure. Han tries to reason with him, but he is struck down (since there's no way Ford is coming back to do another one). Finn and Rey escape with Chewie. The last shot of the movie is them entering a temple on a strange planet and out of the shadows steps Luke Skywalker.

End of movie.

I like it and the Indian Jones nod at the end. Is the figure he's trying to get the double telescoping light saber Darth Vader?

Also, how disappointed are CBB fans going to be when not once is BB-8 ever referred to as "ball droid" and never says his classic catchphrase?

• Like 2

I'm so confused about who is who in the new Star Wars? I thought Kylo Ren was Mr Grumpypants from Girls? I'm a fan of the original three, but this shit is getting out of hand...

I'm so confused about who is who in the new Star Wars? I thought Kylo Ren was Mr Grumpypants from Girls? I'm a fan of the original three, but this shit is getting out of hand...

Poe Dameron the X-Wing pilot was Llewyn Davis and Kylo Ren was "uh oh!" guy from Llewyn Davis(also grumpypants from girls). Finn once Attacked the Block, Captain Phasma is Brienne of Tarth, the new head of the Empire is General Hux and he's the unloved programmer from Ex Machina, female 12 Years a Slave is a pirate named Maz Kanata and Rey is that new girl who nobody really knows much about. Hope that clears things up a bit.

• Like 3

Character wise, no one really knows at this point--it's all speculation.

The rumor going around is that Kylo Ren isn't--as we've been led to believe--Mr. Grumpypants, but actually Luke Skywalker. As far as everyone else is concerned, the only person to have a confirmed first and last name is Poe Dameron. Since the studio is keeping Rey and Finn's surnames a secret at this point, it's safe to assume they are related to somebody significant, but otherwise, everyone is just as in the dark as you.

• Like 1

My opinion might not count for much as I've never watched Episodes IV, V, or VI but here's as I understand it:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING POSTING ON THE INTERNET WHILE THERE ARE STAR WARS MOVIES TO BE SEEN?!

My theory about Luke is that he's going to intervene in the fight between Finn and Kylo Ren. We aren't going to know where he is, and he's going to show up to fight off Ren so that Finn can escape. In that scenario, though, I really hope Ren doesn't kill Luke, because it would just feel totally derivative of Obi-Wan in Episode IV and Qui-Gon in Episode I.

• Like 6

WHAT ARE YOU DOING POSTING ON THE INTERNET WHILE THERE ARE STAR WARS MOVIES TO BE SEEN?!

My theory about Luke is that he's going to intervene in the fight between Finn and Kylo Ren. We aren't going to know where he is, and he's going to show up to fight off Ren so that Finn can escape. In that scenario, though, I really hope Ren doesn't kill Luke, because it would just feel totally derivative of Obi-Wan in Episode IV and Qui-Gon in Episode I.

I can see that.

I also hope they don't kill Luke off, in this Episode at least, as I think that would do nothing but cause a bunch of problems and piss a lot of people off. Not only would they be banking too much on the Worf Effect, but you'd be killing off the last prominent Jedi. Also, since I'm 90% sure Han is going to die, you'd be killing off two of the original trilogy's main characters in one film. That's just hubris. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if they die, I would just prefer they don't die in the same movie.

Honestly though, I hope we are all wrong and are all super surprised how it all plays out. I cannot wait!

ETA: I'm going to wrap these posts in "spoiler" tags. I'm not trying to be so cocky as to suggest I'm 100% right, but if I am, I'd hate to ruin it for anyone. I'm sorry that I didn't think to do so initially.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people tweeted Paul about the Avengers/X-Men thing:

https://twitter.com/...005249655435264

Aw, man! That really disappoints me that he admitted he was wrong. Just to fuck with people, I would have liked him to double-down and say he's Robotman, June is Elasti-Girl, and Jason is Negative Man.

On the bright side, Cam Bert-san nailed Wonder Man, so good for him!

• Like 5

Here's a poster I whipped up this aft. Things get pretty rough with Jason's Qui-Gon beard.

ketGquq.jpg

That close to Christmas, they may as well do the holiday special! Pantom Menace is the deadest, most uninteresting horse there is.

• Like 1

I love the poster, I agree with you about AotC, and I would love Matt Gourley to come on again, but I just feel that TPM has been done to death.

Very true. If you guys really want a solid deconstruction of TPM, I'd highly recommend We Hate Movies' TPM episode.

• Like 2

I actually don't want to read/hear anyone's theories on Force Awakens cause if they're right I want to be surprised lol. Soooo I know that main one about Luke and my friend keeps throwing his at me unwarranted but I refuse to read this lol.

im-not-listening-stephen-colbert-gif.gif

• Like 5

I actually don't want to read/hear anyone's theories on Force Awakens cause if they're right I want to be surprised lol. Soooo I know that main one about Luke and my friend keeps throwing his at me unwarranted but I refuse to read this lol.

That's my bad. I brought the discussion to the table. I would never do anything to hurt you.

11_zpsz1lax7sk.gif

• Like 4