🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
greentower

In Search of a Storyline

Hi all!

I love the podcast and have been listening from the beginning. I've donated to support it, and I like everyone who has been on the show and everyone currently on it. What's better than dick jokes and wizards and shit? Nothing, really.

I preface this with my love for the show, and that this is just some asshole's opinion.

But I'll get right to it - lately the story has been bland, going from one set of crayola-giants to another just to have the same repetitive encounters. No one is an ally and no conversation leads to even the most remote understanding of what the hell's going on. I'm not sure why no story seems to be coming together, even when Dan has fought so mightily to find one.

Sark's story telling always surprised me, and I actually felt like I was experiencing a very odd and vulgar fantasy novel. More recently, I was surprised at how fun the Moon Festival episodes were. I looked forward to each of those. (Brendan Small is also a welcome addition to any show!)

I think the issue for me is that Blane is hilarious, but also a human segue machine. He makes a great character, and I never want him to leave the podcast... but with him as a DM things have been stale and hard to follow.

I haven't bothered to write this in the past because I realize it may come across as mean or ungrateful; the podcast is fuckin' free. But since even the damned fish robots have proven not to be allies, I decided to share my opinion. Anyone share my view?

I mean all of this only as constructive feedback - I just want this podcast to live on for years and get better and better. Feel free to disregard it if no one else feels similarly.

Nerd Poker is never not funny. Let me be clear about that. There is not one person that hasn't been awesome. Dick jokes, pranking on the mics, it's all great, but you have a point. When Hug (née ken) wanted to use the Ring Of Wishing just to get back to the beginning because he was so tired of fighting mute giants all the time; it was obvious that this giant scenario wasn't really going anywhere. And Dan's Moon Festival was a great change/break from the 'Just Kill All Giants' routine.

I think you are right about Blaine. I am not knocking him, he's an awesome entertainer and makes me laugh the most with his references. But now I have to admit he plays better as a character. Sorry, I do not want to start a war, no butt hurt intended. This podcast is a constant on my ipod and I really want it to continue.

• Like 1

I'm honestly getting really tired of this Dan fanfiction every week. Clearly what Blaine does works for the group or they wouldn't continue playing the campaign, it's not like they signed big league contracts and the format of the show is up for review with Scotty Aux and the big dogs at scripps. Jesus just calm your dicks down is all I'm asking.

While I do think the quality of the podcast isn't what it has been, it is too easy and unfair to blame it all on Blaine as a DM. Dungeons & Dragons is a co-operative game, the DM creates the world with the players. Want to stop fighting giants? Turn around. Want interesting NPC's? Go into town to look for them. Sure, Blaine has not created the most memorable campaign, but the players are just not making interesting choices. Only Dan is trying to make things happen, so when he is the DM AND also has Brendon Small playing a real character you get that synergy that propels the story forward.

Even Sark had trouble keeping his campaign fun and streamlined (the party searching that collector base was boring), until he had Sir Richard and Damian to play off of. Those characters made the story way more fun and when those strong characters (and Blackie Green) were gone, the story suffered. Try to describe Dag, Hug and Winter without using physical descriptors or the word 'weird'. It's pretty hard. They don't have strong personalities, goals, backgrounds or behaviors that shape their decisions.

Whatever they decide to do with these characters, just have everyone sit down with the DM to discuss who their characters are and what they want out of the journey.

• Like 3

Whatever they decide to do with these characters, just have everyone sit down with the DM to discuss who their characters are and what they want out of the journey.

I do like that idea. It could make a big difference without taking much of their time.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this