🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 33 - TV News Control Room

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes you, him, her, and it back to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is Paul Scheer of The League and How Did This Get Made! They chat about who Paul Scheer would want to switch bodies with for a day, the reason why you shouldn't see a friend's baby right away, and how pregnancy books do not prepare you for taking care of a baby. The Pauls are then joined by Erinn Hayes, Marc Evan Jackson, and Hal Lublin to improvise a story set in a TV News Control Room. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

LA: TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW FOR the DECEMBER 5th SPONTANEANATION LIVE AT LARGO, FEATURING IMPROVISERS HAL LUBLIN, ANNIE SAVAGE AND JANET VARNEY, WITH SPECIAL GUEST RON FUNCHES! ALL PROCEEDS GO TO CHARITY. TICKETS

Paul (Scheer) is all over this episode.

• Like 4

The best part of the show is always PFT rambling at the beginning

• Like 2

PFT talking about Woody Guthrie is also super weird cause just yesterday I found about him and his sticker, and today I'm listening to him talking about it woah whaaaaaaat

Paul: "What a fun chat we had with Paul Scheer! Does the fun end there? *long pause* No. What the fuck? What's wrong with you? Why would we come back from a commercial to end the show? Ugh...guys...I'm not the only one who's rusty, I guess."

I don't know exactly why but Paul's delivery of the above had me laughing so hard, I had colleagues come over to see if I was okay. So...that happened.

"I'm gonna DET da news".

This was a fantastic episode through and through. Baby Erinn, Paul Scheer REFUSING to be the silent guest while the improv happens and taking LEAD roles throughout? It was just crazy. Thank you!

• Like 4

Man, Paul really wants a machete...

Also love it when Paul calls out Eban for a song he is playing.

• Like 1

As a real life news photog named Chuck, I've spent a lot of time looking at studio cameras today.

cosplay-starwars-darthvader-bobafett-pimps.jpg

Disco Boba Fett is all over google, and he seems to enjoy hanging out with Pimp Vader

• Like 3

That Charlie Sheen lifestyle discussion was fantastic.

So was Ken the intern briefly turning into Miss Piggy. HIIII-YA!

Also, the triumphant return of Mitch & Dolores!

• Like 3

The Pauls need to do more things together. They work off each other so well.

Those are probably my favorite Earwolf ads that aren't from Hollywood Handbook. The fact that PFT just doesn't care and shoehorns it in to a ridiculous bit reminds me of stuff Conan used to do.

• Like 2

I think my favorite birthday present to myself was when I used to work at California Pizza Kitchen in Westlake, CA in 2002 or so, and I got to serve Charlie Sheen. I told him I loved him in The Mighty Ducks. Surprisingly, I just got a confused, yet somehow hateful look. If it was today, he probably would've stabbed me right there.

• Like 3

And the greatest Leesa ad ever with an impression that I hope becomes a recurring character!

• Like 3

Laughed when Eban played The Piano Man.

And later, when he plays the Terminator theme, that was awesome!

• Like 2

I'm getting worried Paul (FT) is starting to crack from having to repeat the premise of the show and button explanations every episode.

• Like 2

I'm getting worried Paul (FT) is starting to crack from having to repeat the premise of the show and button explanations every episode.

I think if they just jumped into the improv, new listeners would be able to follow along just fine after a couple minutes. I used to find the flashback/jump forward sounds a little too similar (They could use the cut-to sound for everything, to be honest. It's the same sound they use in 30 Rock for cutaways and flashbacks and flashforwards) but I quickly got used to it. I think in a way the explanation makes it more confusing sometimes, actually.

• Like 2

I don't know anyone who does the meat/fish thing all-year round anymore. Probably old people. The only days my parents were ever strict on it were Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Avid Tompkins Spotters may be interested to know that Speakeasy, the talk show hosted for three years by Mr. Tompkins, is being rebooted with new host Russell Peters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbgPy_QSCAo

At first, I worried that this was being done without Paul's blessing, but I am an idiot because Paul is back as a guest! What other dumb assumptions have I made that will now force me to rethink my life?!

• Like 1

you guys stop the presses the most important news is that season 6 of the venture bros is coming in february!

also why is there not more pft's tommy wisauoea in the world?

The part where PFT breaks and loses it over the fact that one of the characters was discovered to having worked there for 75 years killed me...