EPISODE 123 - Lifeforce

127 replies to this topic

#21 liebot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:10 AM

Omission; Nobody talked about the Choose Your Own Adventure books about space vampires which clearly inspired this movie. I own both and they are the best books I've ever read. The covers are also great too, particularly how the first artist seemed to have forgotten the fact that the sun kills vampires.

If anyone wants to go through either book, pick one and I'll give very condensed descriptions of each page for you to choose the next path

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Monsoir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:21 AM

Now... i might be very European (which i am... greetings from Milan btw), but to me it does not seem such a long jump from disaster to: 'de', a prefix for everything bad and 'astra' -meaning star?
The word disaster really means: bad star and i am confused nobody on the show gets that... you are all educated people no?

Next to that i am confused that nobody knows the ESA? It is the European equivalent of NASA and launches rockets in space since 1975! Hundreds of satellites have been launched from Guyana... (french territory)
How can you be so oblivious?

all in all i am confused about the general knowledge about the hosts of HDTGM

#23 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:31 AM

View Postliebot, on 15 November 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

Omission; Nobody talked about the Choose Your Own Adventure books about space vampires which clearly inspired this movie. I own both and they are the best books I've ever read.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I can't tell if you find these books to be the best you've ever read because they are legitimately awesome, or because the only books you have read are these two and the first half of a Dan Brown novel.

I very familiar with the European Space Agency, but then again, I am a huge nerd... which kind of goes without saying because I am posting on a podcast message board.
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#24 Ludachris325

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:29 AM

After hearing a movie called, "The Tit and the Moon" mentioned I had to pause the podcast and lookup that movie. Not only did a find a movie, that is described on Wikipedia to be about, "a young boy named Tete who goes on a personal mission to find the perfect pair of lactating breasts to feed on," I also found this picture.... yikes.
Attached File  It's not what it looks like: I can explain.png (242.01K)
Number of downloads: 24
But the review for the movie they chose to pair with this tit-ular image says it all because bonkers is really the only word to describe everything about this movie.

#25 liebot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 15 November 2015 - 04:31 AM, said:

I can't tell if you find these books to be the best you've ever read because they are legitimately awesome, or because the only books you have read are these two and the first half of a Dan Brown novel.

I very familiar with the European Space Agency, but then again, I am a huge nerd... which kind of goes without saying because I am posting on a podcast message board.

They're greater than Moby Dick and Gravity's Rainbow combined and say a lot about humanity (in particular, how it would interact with a space-vampire).

#26 Camberf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:29 AM

The space vampires in this movie were less vampire-like than I was hoping, but I did like how the door to the astronauts' ship was shaped like a coffin: http://imgur.com/gqF2H7M.

Also, was anybody else really distracted by how much Carlsen looked like Sam Rockwell? http://imgur.com/ucM79ER

#27 AstronautDown

5th U2 member.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

View Postwyldride, on 14 November 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

The etymology of disaster is based on ill-starred. It's not exactly what they said in the movie, but described as a calamity derived from an unfavorable position of a star or planet.

Just want to add that "disaster" is not latin but greek (shout out to my fellow greeks, Zouks, Herc and the 12 gods!). Comes from the greek word "dysastria" (emphasis on "tri", greek spelling: δυσαστρία) which literally means bad stars. I also remember Carl Sagan mentioning this on an episode of Cosmos but unfortunately I can't remember which one...

P.S. Solidarity to English people and all Europeans. As a european myself, I was, literally, flipping out when they didn't know what ESA stands for! :P
What exactly is a Highlander?

#28 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostMonsoir, on 15 November 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

Now... i might be very European (which i am... greetings from Milan btw), but to me it does not seem such a long jump from disaster to: 'de', a prefix for everything bad and 'astra' -meaning star?
The word disaster really means: bad star and i am confused nobody on the show gets that... you are all educated people no?

Next to that i am confused that nobody knows the ESA? It is the European equivalent of NASA and launches rockets in space since 1975! Hundreds of satellites have been launched from Guyana... (french territory)

In fairness to the hosts the ESA never had a shuttle program so they didn't have anything like what appeared in the movie.

#29 Quasar Sniffer

Elitist Prick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

View Postliebot, on 15 November 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

They're greater than Moby Dick and Gravity's Rainbow combined and say a lot about humanity (in particular, how it would interact with a space-vampire).

Space Vampires on whaling ships sucking the life-force, blubber, and/or blood out of whales is a book I WOULD READ.
"What about rubbing it with butter, sir?"
"You blasted fool! You can't rub a girl with butter!"
- Top Hat (1935)

"I love that the demographic for this podcast is, like, college professors." - Rob Huebel

#30 Sly Sanders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

Man, the beginning of this podcast is a roller coaster of emotions!

Lennon Parham as guest: Yay
Boob Talk (should be a new segment, tbh): Heck yes
Not knowing that "ESA" stands for "European Space Agency": ... *sigh* c'mon guys. It's pretty basic stuff for us Americans to know (unless you're, like, a High School drop-out/Trump supporter), along with, like, MI6 (and we all know you're Bond fans). I'm chalking that one up to just a collective slip of the mind ;)

lol

Awesome episode! Loving it - and the write up on Slashfilm is amazing!
To embed clips, use "[xxmedia] [xx/media]" (remove the xx) tags, and chop off the 's' from "https://" at the beginning of Youtube URLs. Thanks @Vince_Frost. And thanks signature, so now I won't forget it!

Also, favorite HDTGM moment: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1BTk9pesr5V

#31 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostSevenDollarsWorthofHoobastank, on 14 November 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

Can someone please Photoshop a picture of a cereal box with the name of it being "Shriveled Raisin Tits"? Jason mentioned it at about 9:13 and I cannot get the image out of my head.
Neither can I not hear that being said to the tune of the old school 80's "Kellogg's Honey Smacks" jingle:

Posted Image

ENJOY!

Posted Image

#32 SevenDollarsWorthOfHoobastank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

View Postjarrycanada, on 15 November 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

ENJOY!

Posted Image

haha!!!!!
OOOOOOOH MY GAWD!
Thank you sooo much lol!!

#33 Rothchilde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostAstronautDown, on 15 November 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

Just want to add that "disaster" is not latin but greek (shout out to my fellow greeks, Zouks, Herc and the 12 gods!). Comes from the greek word "dysastria" (emphasis on "tri", greek spelling: δυσαστρία) which literally means bad stars. I also remember Carl Sagan mentioning this on an episode of Cosmos but unfortunately I can't remember which one...

P.S. Solidarity to English people and all Europeans. As a european myself, I was, literally, flipping out when they didn't know what ESA stands for! :P

Thank you so much for saving me the trouble of putting this in. I got so momentarily angry when that part of the conversation came up.

Word up to my etymology homies-- pun intended.

#34 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

After seeing this I'm honestly amazed that they put 25 million into it.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#35 EllenM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, Saskatchewan

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostMonsoir, on 15 November 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

View PostSly Sanders, on 15 November 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Not knowing that "ESA" stands for "European Space Agency": ... *sigh* c'mon guys. It's pretty basic stuff for us Americans to know (unless you're, like, a High School drop-out/Trump supporter), along with, like, MI6 (and we all know you're Bond fans). I'm chalking that one up to just a collective slip of the mind ;)

Well I'm going on record in defense of the HDTGM crew. I didn't know that the ESA was a thing either. I'd argue that it isn't terribly common knowledge, especially of late when all the space news (at least that I hear) is from NASA or Canadarm-related. Even if you learned it in high school, there's a ton of science related stuff (and other subjects too) that I've forgotten in the 5 years since I've graduated high school. Like Thomas said, he'd guessed the crew to be late 30s to early 40s. Plenty of time to have something that has no effect on your everyday life fall out of your mental periphery.

I'd argue that after the moon landing, the news/broadcasters weren't interested in just rockets anymore so there would be less media coverage. If peoples' or a dog's lives are not at stake, it probably wouldn't make international news. At the very least, 1975 was Watergate, Bobby Fischer refusing to play chess and Vietnam. It was a busy year.

On the equivalency to MI6, I'm going to disagree. James Bond has been an international phenomenon for over 50 years, therefore it has had time to permeate pop culture and into an average movie buff's memory. If there was a series of films that were about space exploration over the course of 50 years and the ESA was involved, then your comparison may hold water but otherwise you're comparing vampires to Space Vampires.

Also the only other thing I know about Guyana is that it was where Jonestown took place. You'd think they'd want to hype up a space program more.

#36 Servo Academy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationStone Mountain, GA

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

View Postjarrycanada, on 15 November 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

ENJOY!

Posted Image

That English is Fuller than Full!
Lovely.

#37 wyldride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

"Two shriveled raisin tits in Vampire Raisin Bran."

#38 superhotpickle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 15 November 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

After seeing this I'm honestly amazed that they put 25 million into it.

Adjusting for inflation, that puts it at about $55 million (in todays dollars).

Not astronomical by any stretch, but considering Forest Gump, Captain Phillips and the Kill Bill movies were all made on budgets of approximately $55 million, you'd have to think that the investors might feel a little short changed by the results.

It's listed as grossing $11.6 million at the box office.

#39 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

The more I think about it the more I'm confused about the curious case of Dr. Fallada.If we go back to the middle of the movie when the two male vampires awake from their pods they are immediately shot by the security guards. The spirits of those vampires makes it's way into the bodies of the guards that killed them. Then one of those guards goes to Dr. Fallada in his office to try to turn him. Luckily earlier that day he happened to be delivered a sword from the Amsterdam Museum and was able to kill the guard. However, based on when Caine confronts him at the end of the movie we know that he too is a space vampire. What I find curious is when did this happen? If like the original male vampire the spirit left the body upon death and entered him, why did that spirit not enter Caine when he killed Fallada? For that matter after killing the guard if he was possessed by the spirit why would he message Carlsen and Caine and tell them in very specific detail how to kill the vampires? We know that he was a thanatologist, was he so obsessed with the drive for death that he told them how to kill himself so he'd have a greater understanding? Or did he get turned by some random vampire after killing the guard and then decided to just chill in his lab until the end of the world? Also if Caine could just shoot and kill a vampire why did he grab the large and clunky sword? Surely he could have just shot the doorman vampire.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#40 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostCam Bert, on 15 November 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

Also if Caine could just shoot and kill a vampire why did he grab the large and clunky sword? Surely he could have just shot the doorman vampire.

I think the 3 vampires from the ship are fundamentally different. I don't think any of the victims on Earth became space vampires. It is more like they turned into energy zombies. But they were not and would never be the same as the vampires from the ship. In many vampire stories a vampire has to choose to make their bite victim a vampire. Otherwise they are just food.