127 replies to this topic

#41 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

I guess we are just supposed to assume that Caine got in touch with NATO in time. But I think there is a pretty good chance a nuke was hitting London as the credits were rolling.

#42 Torontosaurus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

If I travelled from Chicago to sit in on a taping, and June was not there, my brains would end up splattered all over that shoe wall.

#43 babyoilbandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:54 AM

View PostLudachris325, on 15 November 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

After hearing a movie called, "The Tit and the Moon" mentioned I had to pause the podcast and lookup that movie. Not only did a find a movie, that is described on Wikipedia to be about, "a young boy named Tete who goes on a personal mission to find the perfect pair of lactating breasts to feed on," I also found this picture.... yikes.
Attachment It's not what it looks like: I can explain.png
But the review for the movie they chose to pair with this tit-ular image says it all because bonkers is really the only word to describe everything about this movie.

You know I came here to recommend the film The Tit and the Moon. It's a legit fun film, sure it's weird as hell but that's the appeal of it. I'd say Paul should watch it and make it a Scheer's Pick, I've not seen it in years but I seem to remember there's a lot of projectile milk expressing (you know having typed that it doesn't look like the right way to phrase it but there you go). So don't be put off by the weirdness of the title and the idea, it's definitely worth checking out. Oh and there's a weird subplot about simulating blowjobs on stale bread, I've got to rewatch this.

#44 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostChunkStyle, on 14 November 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

And now to turn the criticism to Paul himself for a second. June couldn't make the episode because she was filming. Check. But that is also why the episode dropped late? This is Lifeforce level reasoning.

Maybe, because she was filming, they postponed the episode to give her time to be there, but filming ended up running over, so rather than delaying any longer, they just decided to do it without her...Just a shot in the dark.

BTW-Lifeforce is 100% reasonable.
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#45 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 November 2015 - 06:53 AM

View PostCameron H., on 16 November 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

Maybe, because she was filming, they postponed the episode to give her time to be there, but filming ended up running over, so rather than delaying any longer, they just decided to do it without her...Just a shot in the dark.

BTW-Lifeforce is 100% reasonable.

Yeah I assume it was something like that. I just thought the explanation was funny.

#46 pepperjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

This is bit of a tangent but a Lifeforce being a movie about space vampires reminded me of stumbling across a netflix movie called 'Teenage Space Vampires.' It had a rating of PG for 'mild alien vampire violence,' which I always thought was someone at netflix having a laugh. But it's on the imdb page:

http://www.imdb.com/...g#certification

#47 DarkeSword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:09 AM

Can I just say that I've long been a fan of Henry Mancini's score to this movie, before ever actually even seeing the film? I heard "Main Title" on satellite radio once and just had to track down the entire soundtrack. It's kind of amazing that Mancini, a legendary film composer (famous for scoring "The Pink Panther" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's") did a movie like this, but apparently he did a lot of horror/sci-fi movies for Universal.

It's also interesting to note that a lot of Mancini's score was cut from the final print of the movie. From the movie-wave review:

Disaster struck as far as Mancini's score was concerned, though, when the film's producers decided to take it away from director Tobe Hooper and chop nearly a quarter of the film out. Mancini was either unwilling or unable to rescore it, and so his carefully-constructed score just didn't fit some of the time any more, so the young Michael Kamen was brought in to rescore some sections. Kamen took a decidedly different approach, under orders to write more scary music, and his selections (which run for twenty minutes or so, and replaced Mancini's masterpiece "The Discovery" and even meant the great main theme wasn't heard at all in the film until the end titles) are more electronic in nature, and decidedly less impressive. Kamen was a wonderful composer who was never given his due, but his contributions to Lifeforce could only be considered as a footnote not only to his glorious career, but to Lifeforce itself.

And in an interesting twist, Michael Kamen was the composer for the original X-Men movie, which of course starred Patrick Stewart as Professor X!

#48 pepperjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

Ooh, and just for June. Patrick Stewart was in I, Claudius with hair as the bastard Sejanus but it was a wig!

#49 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

So let me get this straight...

Space Vampires are, in fact, not naked people, but rather intersteller space bats that have developed the technology to travel long distances in space and have also evolved to a point where they can telepathically determine what form is most desirable to a specific individual and subsequently project that image onto any sentient organism to whom they have bonded. Furthermore, the only guaranteed way to kill these Space Vampires is by a "leaded metal shaft...through the energy center." Is that correct? If so, I have a question.

So basically, if my reading of this movie is correct, it's telling me that these highly evolved, technologically advanced creatures don't have the wherewithal to wear some kind of body armor to protect themselves from the one thing that can kill them? If they are just projecting whatever image they want into the mind of whoever is held in their thrall (for example, when Carlsen is interrogating Patrick Stewart, Stewart is fully clothed, but Space Girl is not), why not just be wearing full body armor all the time, but just appear to be naked?

Fuck--even during the Dark Ages, when humans honestly believed that hiccups were brought on by elves and fairies routinely kidnapped children, we were smart enough to know "stabby weapons cause owies" so I better strap some metal to my chest.

Bonus question: If Space Girl is Carlsen's idealized female form, whose "idealized" forms are the two male space vampires projecting? Was there supposed to be a concurrent story line involving a heterosexual female or homosexual man being seduced by these two vampires that we're not privy too? I mean, as far as we can tell, the Space Vampires are genderless (see: Space Girl can possess both women and men), so by including them in the story they are, at least tacitly, setting that story line up. Where's the payoff? Jesus! It's like they didn't put any thought into this movie...
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#50 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

View PostCameron H., on 16 November 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

Bonus question: If Space Girl is Carlsen's idealized female form, whose "idealized" forms are the two male space vampires projecting? Was there supposed to be a concurrent story line involving a heterosexual female or homosexual man being seduced by these two vampires that we're not privy too? I mean, as far as we can tell, the Space Vampires are genderless (see: Space Girl can possess both women and men), so by including them in the story they are, at least tacitly, setting that story line up. Where's the payoff? Jesus! It's like they didn't put any thought into this movie...

You know I thought about that too when they said she scanned his mind for ideal beauty. However, based on the other creepy astronaut she was his idealized woman too. Maybe she was a composite of the two straight men that entered that part of the ship and they just have very similar types. The one male space vampire was from the woman's mind, and the third from the forth member out on the space walk who may have been homosexual. However, like you said this does not really play a part in the movie overall. In fact the other two space vampires could have been written out of the movie completely and it would make just as much sense! What exactly do they do to advance the plot? One gets killed by Fallada so he can explain to the heroes how to defeat them. That's about it. A conclusion that could have come naturally to one of the many scientist characters in this film.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#51 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 15 November 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Space Vampires on whaling ships sucking the life-force, blubber, and/or blood out of whales is a book I WOULD READ.

This is what that "In the Heart of the Sea" movie is about, right? The TRUE story behind "Moby Dick"?
Child of the Eighties. Man of the Nineties. Man-Child of the Twenty-First Century.

www.facebook.com/RobBrown78

#52 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

View Postliebot, on 15 November 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

Omission; Nobody talked about the Choose Your Own Adventure books about space vampires which clearly inspired this movie. I own both and they are the best books I've ever read. The covers are also great too, particularly how the first artist seemed to have forgotten the fact that the sun kills vampires.

If anyone wants to go through either book, pick one and I'll give very condensed descriptions of each page for you to choose the next path

Posted Image

OMG! I LOVED that one. Choose your Own Adventure was totally my jam. I had this one in my collection, and it was one of my favorites. I gave them all to my next door neighbor when their son was about 7, and he loved them just as much as I did.

But, can we talk about that vampire's space suit? I love how the other two look like they're in 80s-style spacey jumpsuits, but this dude is rolling in with khaki pants and an ugly sweatshirt (for those of you that weren't alive in the 80s, this is how EVERY sweatshirt looked in the 80s).

View PostPlanBFromOuterSpace, on 14 November 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

I'll have more to add later, but as I sit here closing up at my movie theater job, I just wanted to throw in a quick "Fandango can go fuck itself". Great episode so far though!

I'd usually agree, but they were one of the first ticketing systems to recover during the Star Wars ticketing fiasco. That doesn't make up for them being generally shitty, but I was at least impressed by that.

View PostOoofMaGOOF, on 14 November 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

Uhhhhh....has an ep ever ben released on a Saturday?

Yeah. There have been a couple. Over the summer, they were all over the place.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#53 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

In thinking about my last comment another glaring question popped into my head. Was it even the space vampire's plan to come to Earth all along? They wouldn't be on Earth if this very special first of its kind space shuttle hadn't made it's way out to Halley's Comet and decided to go aboard their ship in the first place. However, when they awake on Earth somehow they know that their ship will be coming by Earth in Halley's Comet's wake, and that they must transfer life force energy to the ship. Did these space vampires place their ship behind Halley's Comet as not to be detected until it was too late, and did they have some system to awake them when the approached Earth? This makes little sense as Halley's Comet orbit is basically around the Sun, out past the outer orbital path of Neptune and pack around again. An orbit that only takes it past Earth once every 75 years or so. They'd have to fly all the way to our solar system, hide, and wait 50 years, give or take on where in its orbit it is, just to happen by Earth. What a horribly inefficient plan.

It also begs the question why are they collecting life force energy in the first place. Their ship has hundreds of those crystals aboard but only three of them are filled. In fact when the crew of the Churchill first enters their ship it is full of dead vampires. Are they unaware that their fellow comrades are dead and are collecting all this precious life force in vain? Is anyone even piloting the ship because at the end of the film the ship is no longer behind Halley's Comet and is in fact not heading to it perpendicularly which means it would have had to leave the tail down a loop around the Earth at a high speed.
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#54 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

To respond to the people shocked that the gang weren't aware of the ESA, my issue was less that they didn't know it existed (I confess, I've never really thought about it, so it was news to me as well), but in their shock that it could exist. I mean, we're all in agreement that this movie takes place in the future, right? If I were to hazard a guess, I would say this movie takes place in 2061--the year Halley's Comet is scheduled to return. Optimistically, even had the film makers created the ESA out of whole cloth, that would be ample time for Europe to develop a space program and create a state of the art shuttle craft that could potentially mimic gravity.

View PostCam Bert, on 16 November 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

It also begs the question why are they collecting life force energy in the first place. Their ship has hundreds of those crystals aboard but only three of them are filled. In fact when the crew of the Churchill first enters their ship it is full of dead vampires. Are they unaware that their fellow comrades are dead and are collecting all this precious life force in vain? Is anyone even piloting the ship because at the end of the film the ship is no longer behind Halley's Comet and is in fact not heading to it perpendicularly which means it would have had to leave the tail down a loop around the Earth at a high speed.

Here's my theory:

The Space Bat's only appear to be dead, but once enough life essence is harvested, it will re-invigorate them. Hence, the spaceship doesn't erupt into flames at the end, but seems to be absorbing all of the blue "essence" light. My guess is the Vampires got enough essence to sustain them for a few decades or until they arrive at another inhabited planet.

I mean, it really is a Pyrrhic Victory for our heroes in this movie. Everyone in London seems to be either infected or already dead. Just because Carlsen was able to fuck staple himself and Space Girl together doesn't mean that everyone is cured. The final shot of Caine is just him staring up into the sky surrounded by piles of corpses. This is why I still can't wrap my head around why Caine went into the city after Carlsen in the first place. All he really accomplished was help save the actual city, not the people in it. Even after stabbing Space Girl, the Space Vampires still appear to get a bunch of life essence--their ship even sucks Carlsen and her up into it. You could probably argue that dropping a nuke on the city could potentially have prevented the Space Vampires from getting the life force they needed, thereby preventing them from ever returning in the future.

I mean, seriously. Fuck, Carlsen.

And, as a request to someone more tech savvy than me, if someone could please create a music video that intercuts shots of Jason Mantzoukas, Space Girl, and other scenes from this movie to Davy Jones' "Girl," I would be eternally grateful. I just kind of really want to see that. Thanks!

Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#55 ChunkStyle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostCameron H., on 16 November 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

I mean, we're all in agreement that this movie takes place in the future, right? If I were to hazard a guess, I would say this movie takes place in 2061--the year Halley's Comet is scheduled to return.

It never dawned on me that this was supposed to take place any time other than 1986. They gave the ESA a shuttle and made up the Nerva engine but that was it. No other indication that it wasn't the mid-80s.

Also Halley's Comet coming in 1986 was a big deal. People were excited about it and I am sure this movie was made purely to cash in on that excitement.

Edit: I thought about this some more and I wonder if the original script even had anything to do with Halley's Comet. It may not have but then when they were actually getting ready to film it was getting close to the comet coming and they figured they could take advantage of that. So initially maybe it was supposed to be more in the future but when they decided to include the comet they got locked into 1986.

#56 Cockney Mackem

Ninja Cum Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:02 PM

The original novel is by Colin Wilson, a British writer who was associated in the fifties and sixties with a fairly highly-regarded literary movement in the UK known as the Angry Young Men. He didn't entirely fit in to the rest of the writers though because they were mostly associated with political and social themes and plays starring Olivier, while he was more interested in philosophy, religion and supernatural stuff as well as science fiction. He actually wrote a lot of philosophy and other material that pretty serious academics got involved with, but at the same time he liked writing about wild, occult, horror sci fi stuff as well. He was kind of like a cross between one of these new young writers with crazy visionaries like William Blake and HP Lovecraft.

He didn't think HP Lovecraft was much of a writer but he was influenced by some of his ideas which led to an absolutely amazing book called The Mind Parasites, which is really thought provoking as well as one of the most frightening and disturbing things I've ever experienced. Totally freaked me out. The Space Vampires was his fifty-first book, if you count everything he did like philosophy, theology as well as sci fi novels, and had a real cult following. They changed it a lot for the film, because the original didn't have quite as much full on giant muff nudity and cheesy B movie tropes, and they weren't quite so literally like vampires with stakes through the heart and that shite. It was also set over a hundred years in the future.

View PostCameron H., on 16 November 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

I mean, we're all in agreement that this movie takes place in the future, right? If I were to hazard a guess, I would say this movie takes place in 2061--the year Halley's Comet is scheduled to return.

I thought it was set in much more like 1986 London. Are you sure modern doesn't look like it's a hundred years in the future because you're expecting it to look like Downton Abbey? :P
Your mission is to take the uranium to Atlantis, use this weapon to destroy the Nazi monsters, and for the love of God, damn well KILL HITLER!

#57 Cockney Mackem

Ninja Cum Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

This is definitely not a 2061 London bus, that's a bus from the 80s

Posted Image
Your mission is to take the uranium to Atlantis, use this weapon to destroy the Nazi monsters, and for the love of God, damn well KILL HITLER!

#58 Torontosaurus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 November 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostCockney Mackem, on 16 November 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

This is definitely not a 2061 London bus, that's a bus from the 80s

Posted Image

YOU'RE a bus from the 80s

#59 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

View PostCockney Mackem, on 16 November 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I thought it was set in much more like 1986 London. Are you sure modern doesn't look like it's a hundred years in the future because you're expecting it to look like Downton Abbey? :P/>

You're probably right...

Let's face it, considering this movie neglected to have a single gray-bearded wizard drinking tea on the back of a dragon with a Time Lord and John Cleese, I can't say with 100% certainty that this movie even took place in England.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#60 Kowalski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Did anyone notice the British news announcer mispronounced "Halley" when he mentioned Halley's Comet? Surely in Britain they would know it's not pronounced Hay-lee, but instead Hall-lee. I haven't seen this movie but I assume (silverback alpha nerd that I am) I would find many more nerdy reasons to be offended. Harrumph! In spite of the extraordinary female attributes of Mathilda May, harrumph!