🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 34 - Parking Garage: Live from Largo

Paul F. Tompkins once again welcomes the wonderful real people of Los Angeles AND the internet to a LIVE episode of Spontaneanation recorded at the world-famous Largo at The Coronet! This week, Paul’s special guest is Kristen Schaal of Flights of the Conchords, Bob's Burgers and The Last Man on Earth. They chat about what event Kristen would change in her life, the aftermath of her recent bike accident, and watching The Hobbit with Bret and Jemaine of Flight of the Conchords. Paul is then joined by his Superego colleagues Matt Gourley, Mark McConville, and Jeremy Carter to improvise a story set in a Parking Garage. And as always, Eban Schletter (only the best) scores it all on piano!

Photos by Liezl Estipona

LA: TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW FOR the DECEMBER 5th SPONTANEANATION LIVE AT LARGO, FEATURING IMPROVISERS HAL LUBLIN, ANNIE SAVAGE AND JANET VARNEY, WITH SPECIAL GUEST RON FUNCHES! ALL PROCEEDS GO TO CHARITY. TICKETS

PFT's EPISODE NOTES:

- During the break before the improv, all four Superegos sang

for the live audience, marking the second time this song has come up in one of my Largo shows!
  • Like 1

Great ep, possibly my favorite interview segment yet.

When the show started I was expecting the interviews to be something to slog through to get to the fun part but they've really been entertaining. Paul's got a gift for interesting conversation.

• Like 4

Loved the improvisers (Jeremy or Matt, I think?) getting at the pesky timey-wimey sound effects during the intro section - and PFT's reaction. Adds a whole new wrinkle to proceedings...

And apropos of nothing - Matt and Paul's sock games were on-point!

• Like 3

Finally, a guest shows up dressed in a manner truly befitting SPONTANEANATION!

• Like 5

Finally, a guest shows up dressed in a manner truly befitting SPONTANEANATION!

You're not kidding! That dress is really something, I'd wager Paul appreciated it.

I'm commenting before starting the improv, but that monologue and interview were fantastic! I think Paul always shines even more when he's in front of an audience.

• Like 1

Loved the improvisers (Jeremy or Matt, I think?) getting at the pesky timey-wimey sound effects during the intro section - and PFT's reaction. Adds a whole new wrinkle to proceedings...

And apropos of nothing - Matt and Paul's sock games were on-point!

Hey, I see what you did there!

PFT really brought his sock game too, and it was really heartening to see him and Kristen doing the Walk of Life in that one photo. Makes me want to pull on my pair of Knopflers and join the Sultains of Swing!

But seriously, this podcast is awesome! I love when the Superego guys get together :)

Cheers!

-Dire Straits

• Like 4

When the show started I was expecting the interviews to be something to slog through to get to the fun part but they've really been entertaining. Paul's got a gift for interesting conversation.

Proved that with Speakeasy

• Like 2

Proved that with Speakeasy

I came here to basically say the same thing. I am always impressed how well Paul can converse well with virtually all types of people.

Paul is a great interviewer. When Kristen initially struggled to find an answer to the question, Paul did a wonderful job of taking the pressure off of her. He gave an example of how he might answer the question and this seemed to relax KS and progressed the conversation along easily.

Great episode of course but how could it not be with the remaining living members of Superego. (RIP Jeff Crocker)

• Like 2

I'm ashamed to say I saw Attack of the Clones six times in the the theatre. I sometimes reflect on that and think ' What the fuck was wrong with me??'

• Like 4

Does anyone know what show Jeremy Carter was talking about? The bald Donald Trump with the hand puppet hair?

I assume it hasn't come out yet, that shave looked fresh! Maybe someone will have an answer, though. I just can't think of any shows that feature people talking to puppets...

• Like 1

I assume it hasn't come out yet, that shave looked fresh! Maybe someone will have an answer, though. I just can't think of any shows that feature people talking to puppets...

I see what you did there...dammit.

In response to the new host of Speakeasy, "JESUS WEPT!!!" I'll probably still watch it though, I like Russell Peters. Since he was a previous guest, I wonder if he was like "hey I really like this, I should be doing this" and then contacted Made Man. I'd hate it if this decision was made by anyone other than Paul, but sometimes that's the reality of it.

Also Tyres I have no idea if that's true, just the first show that popped into my head when I imagined Jeremy Carter as Donald Trump talking to a puppet hairpiece. I didn't mean to sound rude, I'm just as curious as you and I'd like to see that show, whatever it is!

Since he was a previous guest, I wonder if he was like "hey I really like this, I should be doing this" and then contacted Made Man. I'd hate it if this decision was made by anyone other than Paul, but sometimes that's the reality of it.

What? By Paul's own account, he retired from Speakeasy on good terms with all parties involved, to consolidate his attention on (numerous) other projects.

What? By Paul's own account, he retired from Speakeasy on good terms with all parties involved, to consolidate his attention on (numerous) other projects.

That and what I said are not mutually exclusive, but I sarcastically appreciate an Earwolf mod's attempt to pick a fight.

Sign in to follow this