🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 123.5 - MINISODE 123.5

In a completely unrelated topic, I think there are people out there who redraw action pictures from DC and Marvel comics with male characters in the poses that are normally drawn for the female ones. It leads to some preposterous poses and suggestion butt action and is a very witty way of showing how the depiction of male and female characters differs.

Yeah, just google The Hawkeye Initiative. There's also people who try to replicate in real life the poses from comics covers, to see how impossible they are anatomically, since turns out comic characters don't have organs they need to worry about, or some/a lot of artists don't know how bodies work.

• Like 5

Yeah, just google The Hawkeye Initiative. There's also people who try to replicate in real life the poses from comics covers, to see how impossible they are anatomically, since turns out comic characters don't have organs they need to worry about, or some/a lot of artists don't know how bodies work.

I have no idea what you mean...

liefeld-cover-4.jpg

• Like 5

Okay, I really enjoyed that movie-maybe the most enjoyable HDTGM movie to date. I know the hacking seems hacky (pardon the pun) and it seemed laughable in parts, but the characters saved it for me. They were really funny but oddly real, even Cereal Killer.

Will be curious if any of our hosts really liked it too...

Correction for the Minisode:

The video game Life Force is NOT based on the 1985 movie.

Also, Paul is wrong - this game is widely considered to be one of the best 8-bit shoot 'em up games of the 80s.It has excellent graphics, music, and gameplay.

Yes, this game kicks ass. Any kid who played NES in the 80s would agree.

I'm not going to commit to reading everything in the canon but I do like reading a good comic book series now and again (got some of the classic Daredevil story collections on my wishlist). I tried some New Avengers storylines but got hopelessly confused by the constant references to other events that weren't in the collection I was reading.

Any recommendations for good self-contained collections I could read from the Marvel universe? Any character(s), any era. Also DC actually, I'm guilty of not looking past Batman when it comes to their stable.

In a completely unrelated topic, I think there are people out there who redraw action pictures from DC and Marvel comics with male characters in the poses that are normally drawn for the female ones. It leads to some preposterous poses and suggestion butt action and is a very witty way of showing how the depiction of male and female characters differs.

As far as recent stuff goes, I fell off keeping current around the time of AvX, so I can't really speak to any of the new stuff. But I'd be happy to list some of my favorite runs of the past ten years or so!

(These are in no particular order as they probably change depending on when you ask)

1) Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, and friend of the show, Ed Brubaker.

2) Nova by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (It would be ideal if you started with Annihilation and worked your way forward, but I didn't when I initially read it so it's not crucial.)

3) Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (Again, you can start with Annihilation: Conquest, but you don't really need to.)

4) X-Factor by Peter David

5) Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan

I'm sure there's a lot more I could suggest, like Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, but I'm sure someone else will bring it up. :)

I don't read any DC anymore, because anytime I would get into a run of whatever, after a few issues, it would end up shitting the bed. I hope some of these suggestions are to your taste!

• Like 4

Ooooh if we're doing top 5 comic runs then I am 100% down for that.

I didn't start really diving into this shit until 2012 and before that I was such an art nerd that I literally only ever bought stuff for the artist and the cover art and never actually read them. Now I got so into Fraction's Hawkeye that I kinda started only picking things that Clint was featured in hahaha, but I started branching out based on what I've heard from others so I have a ton of recommendations! Also a ton of writers have clearly been a fan of Fraction and have started writing Clint in the same way, which I absolutely love!

1) Hawkeye by Matt Fraction (Taking the bullet for this because it's still my favorite series ever)

2) Black Widow by Nathan Edmondson

3) Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConnick

4) Hawkeye vs Deadpool by Gerry Duggan (Short run but hilarious and worth it)

5) Secret Avengers by Ales Kot (I don't think they got to wrap this series up the way they wanted to because Marvel is dumb but I fucking loved this run a lot)

• Like 4

I'm not going to commit to reading everything in the canon but I do like reading a good comic book series now and again (got some of the classic Daredevil story collections on my wishlist). I tried some New Avengers storylines but got hopelessly confused by the constant references to other events that weren't in the collection I was reading.

Any recommendations for good self-contained collections I could read from the Marvel universe? Any character(s), any era. Also DC actually, I'm guilty of not looking past Batman when it comes to their stable.

Friend of the show Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America was phenomenal, and he also brought back the one character that no one thought would EVER come back, while making it all make sense.

Also, Garth Ennis on Punisher is gold. He did a 12 issue mini and then a 35+ issue monthly that was pretty funny for the most part, but then relaunched the book under Marvel's MAX imprint, where it became a super serious adults only book for five years, which also included a couple other mini series and specials. After that, you can check out Jason Aaron's Punisher MAX, which carried on Ennis's vision very nicely.

• Like 4

Or basically ANYTHING by Brian K. Vaughan.

Have you read Paper Girls yet?

I love it so much!

I know it's only 2 issues in, but I am hooked!

• Like 2

Ooooh if we're doing top 5 comic runs then I am 100% down for that.

I didn't start really diving into this shit until 2012 and before that I was such an art nerd that I literally only ever bought stuff for the artist and the cover art and never actually read them. Now I got so into Fraction's Hawkeye that I kinda started only picking things that Clint was featured in hahaha, but I started branching out based on what I've heard from others so I have a ton of recommendations! Also a ton of writers have clearly been a fan of Fraction and have started writing Clint in the same way, which I absolutely love!

1) Hawkeye by Matt Fraction (Taking the bullet for this because it's still my favorite series ever)

2) Black Widow by Nathan Edmondson

3) Captain Marvel by Kelly Sue DeConnick

4) Hawkeye vs Deadpool by Gerry Duggan (Short run but hilarious and worth it)

5) Secret Avengers by Ales Kot (I don't think they got to wrap this series up the way they wanted to because Marvel is dumb but I fucking loved this run a lot)

I second Fraction's Hawkeye run (PIZZA DOG!) & Kelly's Captain Marvel.

I'm a huge House DeFraction fan, so maybe I am biased?

• Like 3

I thought I was biased as well because they are the best people ever!

I also recommend Sex Criminals and Bitch Planet because House DeFraction can basically do no wrong!

• Like 2

I thought I was biased as well because they are the best people ever!

I also recommend Sex Criminals and Bitch Planet because House DeFraction can basically do no wrong!

I also read Sex Criminals & Bitch Planet. I have yet to start Pretty Deadly, but I own the first trade & hope catch up soon. I will basically read anything Matt or Kelly write. It's so silly, but I adore them.

• Like 2

Fraction also did a good run on Punisher War Journal, which was finished up by Rick Remender. Lots of ridiculousness involving B and C-level villains in that one.

• Like 2

Have you read Paper Girls yet?

I love it so much!

I know it's only 2 issues in, but I am hooked!

I haven't yet. I stopped buying standalone issues a while back, and I just do TPBs now for the most part. It's definitely on my list!

• Like 1

Just found this podcast this month. Love it. But you are ruining shows and movies I currently watch and enjoy. I am much more critical of mistakes I see than I use to be. It literally makes my head explode.

• Like 1

As far as recent stuff goes, I fell off keeping current around the time of AvX, so I can't really speak to any of the new stuff. But I'd be happy to list some of my favorite runs of the past ten years or so!

(These are in no particular order as they probably change depending on when you ask)

1) Immortal Iron Fist by Matt Fraction, and friend of the show, Ed Brubaker.

2) Nova by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (It would be ideal if you started with Annihilation and worked your way forward, but I didn't when I initially read it so it's not crucial.)

3) Guardians of the Galaxy by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (Again, you can start with Annihilation: Conquest, but you don't really need to.)

4) X-Factor by Peter David

5) Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan

I'm sure there's a lot more I could suggest, like Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, but I'm sure someone else will bring it up. :)/>

I don't read any DC anymore, because anytime I would get into a run of whatever, after a few issues, it would end up shitting the bed. I hope some of these suggestions are to your taste!

Tremendous, thanks

• Like 1

Just found this podcast this month. Love it. But you are ruining shows and movies I currently watch and enjoy. I am much more critical of mistakes I see than I use to be. It literally makes my head explode.

tumblr_inline_n04jo4oLcl1qfmspd.gif

Welcome to our Forum Family!

I hope you like comic books, Star Wars, stupid gifs, movie posters Photoshopped with either the hosts' or Nic Cage's image superimposed, and thinking way too much about shitty, shitty movies!

P.S. Watch out for, taylorannephoto. She's a real crackerjack.

• Like 5

Especially if it's the right Star Wars...

You're absolutely right, Fister.

We really shouldn't be letting people in here all willy nilly. From now on, all new forum members should be subjected to a rigorous vetting process. How do we know if some new person isn't going to come in here and make all our eyes explode with crazy, obnoxious fonts? We also need to establish if they have sufficient gif/photshop game and thoroughly test their reading comprehension.

Maybe we should write up quick quiz to determine their forum aptitude?

For example:

Q: What do you think of the new HDTGM theme song?

A: Who cares? It doesn't fucking matter, dumb-dumb. Just don't be a douche about it.

• Like 5

P.S. Watch out for, taylorannephoto. She's a real crackerjack.

She's the gif that keeps on gifing...

Thanks for all the recommendation everyone, any DC recs also welcome

• Like 3

She's the gif that keeps on gifing...

Thanks for all the recommendation everyone, any DC recs also welcome

Preacher by Garth Ennis! One of my favorite books ever, and it'll be interesting to see how the TV show turns out. That's a Vertigo title, but DC also recently reprinted all of Hitman, also by Ennis, which tells the comedic tale of a super powered hitman in the DCU.

• Like 3

I always feel left out during this part of the thread because I don't read comics. I'm a fiend about reading TV Tropes/Wikipedia to learn about the characters and their arcs, because I do really enjoy that aspect. I can't afford to spend any extra time reading anything other than caselaw. Any spare time I have goes to drinking, complaining about work and dreaming about all the expensive scotch I'm going to buy once I get real clients to bitch about.

giphy.gif

Anybody watch Jessica Jones yet?

• Like 3