🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 35 - The Moon Landing Taping, 1969

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes everyone back in three different tones to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul’s special guest is Natalie Morales of Parks and Recreation and The Grinder! They chat about their thoughts on conspiracy theories, Donald Trump as "decoy," and the ins and outs of jury duty. Paul is then joined by Bob Dassie, Rich Talarico, and Craig Cackowski of the improv collective Dasariski to improvise a story set at the Moon Landing Taping, 1969. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

PFT's EPISODE NOTES

- When Bob asks about the “bite and chew,” he was most likely thinking of this famous commercial technique!

- Everyone was supposed to look “serious” for the photo!

- Something very strange happened towards the end of recording!

THE NEXT SPONTANEANATION LIVE HAPPENS SATURDAY, DECEMBER 5th, FEATURING IMPROVISERS HAL LUBLIN, ANNIE SAVAGE AND JANET VARNEY, WITH SPECIAL GUEST RON FUNCHES! HURRY! IT'S ALMOST SOLD OUT!

ALL PROCEEDS FOR THIS SHOW WILL GO TO CHARITY.

TICKETS

Such a shame when people who obviously haven't thought about a "conspiracy" subject by thinking outside of their preconceived notions decide to talk about their opinions on the topic publicly. I don't ever normally think of Paul as foolish but he definitely showed his misinformed or underinformed side today.

Such a shame when people who obviously haven't thought about a "conspiracy" subject by thinking outside of their preconceived notions decide to talk about their opinions on the topic publicly. I don't ever normally think of Paul as foolish but he definitely showed his misinformed or underinformed side today.

You saying there might be some truths in this conspiracy?

• Like 1

This is the best improving I've seen on the forums yet. Very authentic.

• Like 4

So, are you a moon landing truther, a Trump supporter, or a shill for Big Vacuum?

• Like 4

I had the same experience with Halo. Every friday until about 5am my friends and I would hook up 4 xboxes and play, and I was regularly one of the best. I tried playing online when that whole things started, and got my ass handed to me so bad it ceased to be fun.

• Like 2

"I don't like satires, give me some happy-tires...lay on those jokes" is one of my favorite quotes from this podcast ever.

• Like 10

"Happytire" and Paul's explosion of laughter at it was one of my favorite Spontaneanation moments to date.

Edit - Yeah, what he said!

• Like 4

I was totally thinking Eban should play When I'm Sixty-Four when Paul was talking about aging to 200, and then he did! Either I'm psychic, or this show is getting in my head.

I had always thought, because I'd been told by people I thought I could trust, that jury duty selection had nothing to do with voting and it was only a myth that they were connected, but when I looked it up today so I could be "that guy" who needs to correct everything, it turns out they do draw from voter lists, but also other places like driver's licenses and tax returns. So not voting doesn't guarantee no jury duty, but voting can put you on the list if you're not already. You've proved me wrong again, show!

I was as happy to hear PFT as Santa as an actual child encountering Santa!

Happy tires cracked me up too!

Anyone else reminded of this sketch?

• Like 1

Was that Bob Dassie doing the General? I don't know the non-Cackowski voices well enough to tell them apart (a situation I should clearly rectify as soon as possible because these are some ridiculously hilarious dudes).

Anyway, I ask because I had to take a break partway through the improv portion for some real life shit, and when I came back, the general was talking. He sounded so much like Marc Evan Jackson at parts that it took me, like, 15 minutes before I thought, "Wait! MEJ isn't in this? Who the fuck is talking right now?!"

That confusion notwithstanding, this episode was amazing. Natalie Morales is wonderful, and the improv was so silly and fun. Plus, Cackowski.

• Like 1

i havent missed an election since i turned 18.

never been called for jury duty ....

Same here (almost). I've voted in all elections (local, state, and federal) for 16 years now. I got called for jury duty once, and it was in a city I wasn't living in anymore, but my voter registration was still from that city. I was able to get out of it because I had moved about 5 hours away. That was after the very first election I voted in, and I haven't been called again.

That said, the state of Texas will probably send me a notice tomorrow out of spite.

• Like 1

In addition to Tim E. Powers, someone must have had the ability to see into the future because they were talking about Clint Eastwood's directing in 1969 but he didn't start directing until 1971.

Oh, man, I loved all the deliberately inaccurate impressions in this one.

And in the two episodes since he debuted, I somehow forgot how hilarious the name "Roger News" is. Thanks for the reminder, ad!

• Like 2

It took me a depressingly long time to figure out the Tim E. Powers thing.

• Like 4

Whaaat PFT!! I loved Room 237! I think you're supposed to take it all with a grain of salt but there are things that are pointed out in the film are really mindblowing. I don't necessarily think there is one single theory out there about what The Shining is supposed to be about but it's hard to ignore some of the things they point out in the film! I found it fun to think about.

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought it was good because some of the stuff is genuinely interesting, and most of the rest is entertainingly crazy.

• Like 1