🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 124 - Hackers

Correction

It turns out LOVE is a more popular password than you think. On a podcast called We Have Concerns, Episode entitled Past Word Passwords they discuss a Russian hacker who posted 32 million passwords from a company called Rockyou. The fifth most used password was "iloveyou." The word love appears many more times in different iterations in the top one hundred and in some instances in spanish.

http://reusablesec.b...d-list-top.html

Something you left out was how insane it is that Matthew Lillard's character Cereal, outs the villain by simply accusing him of a crime on TV. His accomplice is immediately arrested and he soon after without any sort of preliminary investigation. So all I have to do to get someone arrested is say that they committed a crime on television? Come on.

• Like 1

I would just like to point out a few things.

1. I believe there is at least two Easter eggs. The first being the character name of Penn Jillette ,Hal. This is a reference to the super computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey. The other, which I may be looking too deep, has to do with the pay phone hacking. If I'm not mistaken, this may have came from a man that went by the name Captain Crunch. Back in the 70's he found a way the hack the phone system similar to that in the film. He did this to help blind people to make phone calls but also got a hold of the White House. I think that the writers should have given him a bigger nod being that he sold his share of Apple before it became big in the 80's and to see that there is product placement throughout the move.

2. The 2nd opening song of the film is the 2nd to the last song in Mortal Kombat. Both movies that were released in 1995 just about a month apart.

3. Lastly Marc Anthony is in this movie. He plays one of the agents that is staking out the kids. This leaves me with a question. Will Nicolas Cage be a great as one of the agents?

I really really hope that they do Short Circuit 2 some time to explore June's feelings on Johnny 5

tumblr_inline_nmbisfCz4s1seskow.gif

• Like 6

Hackers that use their skills to find flaws in software for 'good' call themselves 'white hat hackers'.

From Wikipedia:"

The term "white hat" in Internet slang refers to an ethical computer hacker, or a computer security expert, who specializes in penetration testing and in other testing methodologies to ensure the security of an organization's information systems."

I couldn't find any evidence of the Google being hacked the way that Jason described. There was a private firm that was contracted by the government to see if a driverless car could be hacked. It was, hacked, but under test conditons, not on the open road and the car was not a Google car.

When the internet finally attains consciousness and takes over our phones, cars and flying police drones, you don't want to be on it's shitlist for sloppy reporting of information so...just a heads up.

This movie might be a prequel to the birth of Anonymous, because those guys still do crap like that from time to time, such as doxxing people that they don't like or bullying people on the internet. The only reason they seem to be getting an out from people is because they are going after a worse group in ISIS, but they tend to forget that they harassed a teen girl and posted her personal information online for people to send hate mail and prank call her, or that they attacked Sony who had the gal to press charges against hackers who were exposing root keys on the PS3.

Does anyone know what the deal is with Penn Jillette's credit in the very beginning of the end credits?

The pool sex scene starts and the credits roll. First credit is Associate Producer and it appears alone on screen. Second credit, also appearing along center screen over the pool sex, is "Penn Jillette as Hal". Next is a solo credit for the casting director. Several credits later, the rest of the cast, including Penn is listed in the normal style: a scrolling column.

Does Penn Jillette just have an amazing agent? I have never seen that before.

I don't know that it accounts for him being credited so early, but Penn was probably better known than most of the cast (except Lorraine Bracco) at the time. He and Teller had been doing their shows for over a decade at that point. He was also well-known in computer geek circles for his monthly column in PC/Computing Magazine.

On another note that I forgot to mention earlier, Cereal Killer's real name is supposed to be Emmanual Goldstein, which is the name of the alleged leader of the Brotherhood in Orwell's 1984. He's the one that's supposed to be a threat to the Party. And Cereal Killer is the one that brings down The Plague.

However, Goldstein may or may not exist and could be just a fabrication of the Party created to identify their enemies. Maybe that means that Cereal Killer was actually working for Bunk the whole time, and the Secret Service is about to bust in and arrest Crash and Burn from the pool (which would fit into how they operate in the rest of the movie).

Or maybe it's just an analogy that's as poorly thought out as everything else in this movie.

I really don't remember bondage pants being a thing when I was in college. jnco's sure, but not that nuttiness they had on.

I was in high school when this movie came out, and in the punk scene, bondage pants were pretty commonplace (and had been since the late 70s).

Not sure if I overlooked any talk about 90s hacker culture yet, so I'd like to throw in some extra information here from personal experience.

The books the kids were naming during the club scene are old US DoD manuals for telephone and computer infrastructure standards. I always thought it was funny the movie would throw in some legit stuff around all the crazy 90s make-believe stuff.

The importance of understanding telephone infrastructure in the 90s is akin to understanding current internet and web infrastructure today. The internet was accessed nearly only through analog telephone, there were people only interested in phone hacking called "phreakers".

The strange place with people selling old computer parts and software makes me think of monthly 2600 hacker meet-ups. 2600 was a quarterly magazine devoted to hacking, phreaking, and general security. The meet-ups would often involve people selling hardware along with the usual exchange of information and discussions.

I still love this movie because I still love all things ridiculously 90s, especially the soundtrack. I keep it on my ipod and listen to it for the early Prodigy and Orbital tracks.

I hope to see more love for the soundtrack on the forums :)

hackers10.jpg

• Like 1

Hackers that use their skills to find flaws in software for 'good' call themselves 'white hat hackers'.

From Wikipedia:"

The term "white hat" in Internet slang refers to an ethical computer hacker, or a computer security expert, who specializes in penetration testing and in other testing methodologies to ensure the security of an organization's information systems."

White-hat/black-hat are terms commonly used to describe ethical/non-ethical hackers. I don't know the history around who first coined those terms, but they reference the old "Spy Vs Spy" comics from Mad Magazine.

White-hat/black-hat are terms commonly used to describe ethical/non-ethical hackers. I don't know the history around who first coined those terms, but they reference the old "Spy Vs Spy" comics from Mad Magazine.

It's originally from old back and white westerns. The hero would always wear a white hat, and the villain would wear a black one. It's a pretty well-known trope of early cinema and where Spy vs Spy borrowed the idea from.

• Like 1

I really really hope that they do Short Circuit 2 some time to explore June's feelings on Johnny 5

tumblr_inline_nmbisfCz4s1seskow.gif

And of course the team's reaction to Fisher Steven's brown face. PS: Everyone should check out Master of None. Besides a great series, Aziz tackles this issue really well.

65dhyp.png

There is ZERO difference between this and the Robots from Halloween 3 who wanted to kill everyone, amirite people? IT'S US OR THEM! CHOOOOOOSE!

:D

(This ep went to some delightful places)

• Like 3

You guys are missing the point repeatedly in this episode. "Hackers" comedically stylizes the look of hacking and the culture, but it actually captures the subjective thrill and subjective experience of hacking VERY ACCURATELY. This film is very well structured and shot, not at all like some of the truly bad films you cover. Isn't it possible that it was intended as a stylized expression, not as a true representation of the interest or of the methods of hacking?

You make fun of hackers and act like they are evil criminals, when it is actually the U.S. government that breaks its own laws to spy on you. Why make fun of the concept of a 12 year old hacker? What were YOU guys doing at age 12? I was breaking into computer systems because people made fun of me in real life-- just like you guys make fun of the hackers in the movie. Here's some really young hackers in real life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristoffer_von_Hassel

When the Plague gives his speech about "We are Samurai... the Keyboard Cowboys..." the film is clearly making fun of him and showing how he's a delusional loser- a black hat hacker (rather than a non-malicious white hat). This is NOT the ethos professed by hackers. The true "hacker manifesto" from The Mentor in 1986 IS shown in the film:

The full text is here:

http://www.phrack.org/issues/7/3.html

Also, why are you making fun of Angelina Jolie's outfit and haircut? She is literally one of the sexiest, hottest characters ever depicted in film, certainly for my generation. You can trivialize the style but if it makes her sexy then you are the ones in the wrong.

Why make fun of "gender fluidity" in the movie? A lot of hackers are marginalized in real life for being different. Stop making fun of them.

Whatever, I can take a joke and I love making fun of bad movies but you guys missed the point -- you can joke about anything but the jokes would be funnier if you understood the movie you were making fun of.

CK

You guys are missing the point repeatedly in this episode. "Hackers" comedically stylizes the look of hacking and the culture, but it actually captures the subjective thrill and subjective experience of hacking VERY ACCURATELY. This film is very well structured and shot, not at all like some of the truly bad films you cover. Isn't it possible that it was intended as a stylized expression, not as a true representation of the interest or of the methods of hacking?

You make fun of hackers and act like they are evil criminals, when it is actually the U.S. government that breaks its own laws to spy on you. Why make fun of the concept of a 12 year old hacker? What were YOU guys doing at age 12? I was breaking into computer systems because people made fun of me in real life-- just like you guys make fun of the hackers in the movie. Here's some really young hackers in real life: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristoffer_von_Hassel

When the Plague gives his speech about "We are Samurai... the Keyboard Cowboys..." the film is clearly making fun of him and showing how he's a delusional loser- a black hat hacker (rather than a non-malicious white hat). This is NOT the ethos professed by hackers. The true "hacker manifesto" from The Mentor in 1986 IS shown in the film:

The full text is here:

http://www.phrack.org/issues/7/3.html

Also, why are you making fun of Angelina Jolie's outfit and haircut? She is literally one of the sexiest, hottest characters ever depicted in film, certainly for my generation. You can trivialize the style but if it makes her sexy then you are the ones in the wrong.

Why make fun of "gender fluidity" in the movie? A lot of hackers are marginalized in real life for being different. Stop making fun of them.

Whatever, I can take a joke and I love making fun of bad movies but you guys missed the point -- you can joke about anything but the jokes would be funnier if you understood the movie you were making fun of.

CK

I think there is clear evidence that the filmmakers didn't even understand the movie we're making fun of. Even if the stuff about the hackers and their culture was 100% accurate, there is so much more, like even common sense stuff, that is so, so ridiculously wrong. I'll apologize though if I step out of the shower and half the local police force is waiting right outside my door just waiting for me to open it. That is, if one of them doesn't hand me a towel first.

• Like 1

I think there is clear evidence that the filmmakers didn't even understand the movie we're making fun of. Even if the stuff about the hackers and their culture was 100% accurate, there is so much more, like even common sense stuff, that is so, so ridiculously wrong. I'll apologize though if I step out of the shower and half the local police force is waiting right outside my door just waiting for me to open it. That is, if one of them doesn't hand me a towel first.

I guess I'd find it funnier if myself and several of my teenage friends hadn't been literally arrested (admittedly without the ass shot and the towel) in our own homes by armed law enforcement. This was because the police couldn't tell the difference between dumb kids playing with computers and domestic terrorists. Several non-violent hackers did serious time and were made examples of, like Kevin Mitnick, whose crimes were GROSSLY exaggerated by the mainstream media, claiming he had access to nuclear missiles etc. Bernie S (Ed Cummings) did time for "possession of technology which could be used in a fraudulent manner" rather than a real crime. One day it will be illegal to possess the Anarchist's Cookbook, which is mostly just an excuse for kids to try to smoke banana peels.

This film depicts hackers as the heroes against corporate greed and the scapegoats of government idiocy, so it deserves credit for that.

CK

hardest working people on the whole film... and the nurse after everyone fell off the blades

2uhs5f5.jpg

Damn, Cereal is such a legit hacker they even broke the boundaries of the fourth wall and consulted with him about it. Yo, no wonder he feels like god at the end.

• Like 1

Just wondering if we need to consider inducting Fisher Stevens into the HDTGM Hall of Fame/Shame. So far he's been in:

• Super Mario Bros
  • LOL
  • and now, Hackers.

That's a quality acting reel.

• Like 1

Funniest moment ever.

2mpln68.jpg

That was spot on...

All that is missing is she needs to be holding a rolling pin in her hand.

Btw, later that night June gave that BB8 a mission, to seek out new life in the basement.

It's too bad we can't make a t shirt out of that because disney will sue them.

Can we start a collection of money to get Jay Marks to make a cartoon of this.

• Like 4

Usually I love the podcast. Plenty of belly laughs.

But there was a lot of reaching to be outraged in this episode and more than a few instances of what sounded like wilful ignorance.

Outside of a crappily fantastical representation of the internet and using technology that already seems ridiculously primitive, Hackers is a pretty good 'teen' movie.

Parts are outlandish but it's clear that the makers acknowledged that. The lead characters are designed to be a cooler version of regular hackers. The 100% accurate version of this film would be a very dull, very quiet experience.

The dress sense fits with the era, if a little after the fact. It's more a early 90s West Coast style - Jane's Addiction ish. You know, before grunge came in and turned it all plaid and jeans. But given that these characters are meant to be cliquey and set apart from the regular kids, criticising them for dressing weird - especially when it's set in New York. - makes no sense.

I have to add that convincing people that a large building they are new to has a swimming pool is incredibly easy. I don't know about going so far as convincing them to go up through a fire escape to the roof, but say something with enough confidence, people will buy it.

The soundtrack is great. Possibly the first time a Hollywood film got the music right for 90s youth culture (okay, apart from the Squeeze track).

Still, the episode was worth it for "What's its mission?"

• Like 1

The soundtrack is great. Possibly the first time a Hollywood film got the music right (okay, apart from the Squeeze track).

100% onboard with you on this one. Loved the music. Especially Massive Attack, and that song playing during the "spinning phone box" hack scene.

The Matrix totally ripped this off.

matrix_phone.jpg

• Like 1

I think some people need to take Hackers a lot less seriously. I know it's a cult movie, but it's also a really ridiculous movie, which is part of what makes it enjoyable to watch.

There are some things about the 90s hacker culture that the HDTGM crew clearly doesn't know about (and which they freely admit). However, it's obvious that they had a good time watching it and that most of the points and jokes they made about the movie were in good fun. There's a lot of shit that just doesn't make sense in this movie, but it's still one of the more fun movies they've done. I felt the episode had a similar vibe to it as the ones for movies like Con Air, Face/Off, Deep Blue Sea, or Demolition Man.

Personally, I'd rather they did more movies like this and far fewer like Perfect.

• Like 7

Hackers was one of the life-shaping movies of my youth. As a kid who was into computers but who had no social circle to share that interest with, Hackers was the lifestyle fantasy that I dreamed of: a diverse bunch of computerite counterculture friends, going to a school that valued intelligence and achievement, and socializing at awesome arcade/restaurant/rollerblading hangouts. Plus, Angelina Jolie. For these reasons, it will always hold a special place in my heart. That said:

Why would Joey hang out with people who constantly shit on him without offering any help? I always wished that Joey would end the movie telling Dade et al. to go fuck themselves.

Kate easily won the hacking contest. She did real, longterm damage to Bunk's life and career in fairly creative ways. Dade just inconvenienced him for a bit. Total bs that they called it a tie.

Speaking of Kate, even as a 12 year old who was happy to see as many boobs as I could, I still felt bad for Angelina Jolie and her obviously gratuitous nude scene.

The overly elaborate start up graphics of the hackers' laptops would have eaten up half the memory of mid-90's PC technology and slowed their performance to a crawl.

Kate easily won the hacking contest. She did real, longterm damage to Bunk's life and career in fairly creative ways. Dade just inconvenienced him for a bit. Total bs that they called it a tie.

Sorry but being declared legally dead is far more damaging than your credit card being cut.