🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 37 - Saltwater Tuffy Shoppe: Live from LA Podfest

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes the beautiful people of Beverly Hills AND the internet to a LIVE episode of Spontaneanation recorded at the 2015 LA Podfest! This week, Paul’s special guest is Andy Daly of Comedy Central's Review! They chat about Andy's on-camera experience with lizards, how Andy learned to tell time, and his mistrust of the ocean. Paul is then joined by Matt Gourley, Craig Cackowski, and Janet Varney to improvise a story set at a Saltwater Tuffy Shoppe. And as always, Eban Schletter (only the best) scores it all on piano!

LIVE episodes of SPONTANEANATION return to Largo on The Coronet on Saturday, February 6, 2016! Get your tickets now: bit.ly/SPONT0216

PFT's EPISODE NOTES:

- The episode begins with me falling off the stage!

- During the monologue, Andy Daly was checking his hair in his phone and I accuse him of “Jeff Garlin-ing” me, a reference to Andy’s appearance on this episode of

!

- I completely forgot that I had seen the newsman/lizard video Andy describes!

- This is the

that I described!

- Thanks to the audience for the live photos!

Ooh, it's like a Marvel movie in you have to stay past the end Earwolf bits for more!

• Like 5

I thought July had made a typo when this showed up this morning. I was extremely happy to find out that wasn't the case because it started off the improv with a perfect level of silliness for them to build off of.

Also, good on Paul for calling out the person recording. That's some inconsiderate shit.

• Like 1

I thought July had made a typo when this showed up this morning. I was extremely happy to find out that wasn't the case because it started off the improv with a perfect level of silliness for them to build off of.

Also, good on Paul for calling out the person recording. That's some inconsiderate shit.

I must step in and say that after the show I spoke with that person and he explained he was merely trying to take a photo. I apologized! But how long do you need to frame a photo for Xenu's sake!

• Like 12

Not sure if the video of this is still available anywhere, but if it is, I'd really recommend watching it (legally, of course). I was having a bum day, and it really brightened it, and not just because Paul falls out of a chair, which happens to THE BEST of us.

The series of Andy Daly's characters' marriages is maybe my fave mome in the hist of this sh (show)

• Like 2

I must step in and say that after the show I spoke with that person and he explained he was merely trying to take a photo. I apologized! But how long do you need to frame a photo for Xenu's sake!

Fair enough. I still find it distracting when people need to take pictures during the middle of a show, but it's a lesser sin that trying to record the whole thing.

Not sure if the video of this is still available anywhere, but if it is, I'd really recommend watching it (legally, of course). I was having a bum day, and it really brightened it, and not just because Paul falls out of a chair, which happens to THE BEST of us.

The series of Andy Daly's characters' marriages is maybe my fave mome in the hist of this sh (show)

One of my favorite things on SPONT is whenever anyone gives a specific quantity of something. Paul almost always asks them to list the things. My previous favorite was Paul and Sarah Burns naming the seven dimensions in the Savannah, GA episode.

The tuffy size discussion was pretty great, but the wife one was incredible. I had to listen to that section twice because I started laughing so hard when Gourley jumped in as wife #3 that I couldn't even keep up with everyone else escalating the other wives.

• Like 2

I actually read it as "taffy" in the title and episode description until I heard them say it in the podcast. It made me feel very unobservant.

This episode made me laugh many times, but most of all it made me realize that I really want to get drunk with Andy Daly.

• Like 1

I believe that the gentleman who took that photo posted it in the SPONT facebook group, looking for it now...

I love the fact that Eban committed to playing the theme from John Carpenter's "The Fog" everytime the salt water tuffy kids came up, just because he did it once.

• Like 6

I love the fact that Eban committed to playing the theme from John Carpenter's "The Fog" everytime the salt water tuffy kids came up, just because he did it once.

Even though I don't always catch his allusions, Eban is such a fantastic part of this podcast.

Ah, it was the earwolf subbreddit, not facebook.

here is the album of photos the guy took during the show,

http://imgur.com/a/nUoxO

"Paul saw me taking a picture (which was allowed during Podfest, but video was prohibited). Since I held the camera steady for a few seconds, he thought I was recording and after this picture got snapped, he scolded me with a "are you FILMING?" I panicked and turned the camera off for the rest of the show. I met Paul after the show and explained I was only taking a photo, and he took back his scoldings. He is seriously the most polite, awesomest guy ever."

• Like 1

Ah, it was the earwolf subbreddit, not facebook.

here is the album of photos the guy took during the show,

http://imgur.com/a/nUoxO

"Paul saw me taking a picture (which was allowed during Podfest, but video was prohibited). Since I held the camera steady for a few seconds, he thought I was recording and after this picture got snapped, he scolded me with a "are you FILMING?" I panicked and turned the camera off for the rest of the show. I met Paul after the show and explained I was only taking a photo, and he took back his scoldings. He is seriously the most polite, awesomest guy ever."

I had no idea all the suggestions and questions were written in a book until I saw the picture accompanying the episode. That's really awesome!

Ooh, it's like a Marvel movie in you have to stay past the end Earwolf bits for more!

This happened to be one of the ~5% of Earwolf podcasts where I listened through the Earwolf sting. Sweet reward!

Also, the first 82 minutes were great.

• Like 1

I had no idea all the suggestions and questions were written in a book until I saw the picture accompanying the episode. That's really awesome!

Yea I really like how it looks like an old timey leather book with the string wraps.

• Like 1

Also because Paul's assembled his own set of Improvengers (Eh? No? Alright).

• Like 4

I watched the video of this episode twice back in September, but I was still eager to hear the podcast version because this episode is so delightfully insane, definitely one of the best episodes. I'm glad they included the ad break time discussion, and at the end of the episode to avoid disrupting the flow of the inprov.

If you're wondering why the audience giggled as Matt was introduced, it's because Paul reached out and patted the side of Matt's face without looking at him, and Matt kind of kissed the hand. If you're wondering why Matt thought he'd already talked about sanding off his fingerprints and engaging in "crime time" on the show, it's because he actually talked about it on Pistol Shrimps Radio that week.

The Paul falling off the stage gif is great! I hope there's one of Andy's reaction to the watch hitting him, because it was hilarious.

I enjoy when a sound effects mistake becomes part of the story, in this case Janet's confusion about "When are we?" when Maura Tuffy flirted with Dr. Nedermeyer leading to them having been married and him being the boys' father. Like everyone else here, I loved the Dr. Nedermeyer's wives sequence. You'd think they were going in forward chronological order, because they keep getting weirder and Andy got more freaked out, but it was the flashback noise every time, so they were in reverse order. So the marriages just got more normal, and he learned to chill out about all his wives drowning? It's hilarious either way!

• Like 4

As soon as the episode ended, I started over from the beginning to confirm that Craig's character did indeed turn into Vinnie Barbarino over the course of the show.

• Like 5

Yea I really like how it looks like an old timey leather book with the string wraps.

I think it's been established as Forum Canon that it is also a book of Dark Magic. Or at least Secrets.

• Like 1

This was a great episode with tons of gems. "We're the Callback Kids... Gotcha!"

And yet, somehow, my heartiest laugh seemed to be at the sincerity with which, "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" was delivered in the midst of the Cher ad.

Not looking for redemption. Just confessin'.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this