🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 40 - Inside a 40 Year-Old Woman's Purse

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all, the many, the few, the high, and the low back to SPONTANEANATION! This week, Paul's special guest is comedian/improviser/writer Eliza Skinner of Turnt Up! and The Late Late Show with James Corden! They chat about the glamour of entertainment seen through a child's eyes, having conversations with sleeping people, and feeling frustrated by TV/movie characters in frustrating situations. Paul is then joined by Hal Lublin, Mark McConville and Jean Villepique to improvise a story set Inside a 40 Year-Old Woman's Purse. And as always, Eban (only the best) Schletter scores it all on piano!

LIVE episodes of SPONTANEANATION return to Largo on The Coronet on Saturday, February 6, 2016! Get your tickets now: bit.ly/SPONT0216

"Take THAT, Mildred and Patty Hill!" feels like a wonderful culmination to a years-long rivalry.

• Like 3

Can you remove the non-breaking space from the RSS feed at line 31. It is causing the feed to fail in RSS parsers.

"What?! Abraham Lincoln!"

"I may be trapped here on the side of this penny-"

"oh"

Paul sounded so genuinely dis-heartened!

Edit: ya BURNT!

• Like 2

this felt like the sequel to the Brave Little Toaster I never knew I wanted

• Like 3

I sincerely hope someone's working on a fully produced version of Eliza Skinner's song about not touching black people's hair or pregnant women's bellies.

• Like 2

Well that's the greatest location ever

Definitely. I really hope more guests opt for locations that pretty much force the improvisers to be something out of the ordinary. I feel like both Sarah Burns and Chris Tallman (among others) would've been an amazing addition to the inside of that purse. This whole episode was wonderful, I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Sidenote: evidently Ravi Patel is fucking obsessed with Mario Lopez.

The comments about the location made me wonder something. Does anyone who listens to this podcast try not to look at the episode title/location so that it comes as a surprise in the middle of the episode, as it does to the actual Spontaneanation improv players whenever they do a show? I've never tried it myself because it's so hard not to see an episode title before listening to the episode, but it reminds me of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" where the episode title is usually a joke that closes out the show's cold open. Watching "Sunny" on a streaming service means having to avert your eyes as you select an episode to watch so as not to spoil the joke.

• Like 1

Does anyone who listens to this podcast try not to look at the episode title/location so that it comes as a surprise in the middle of the episode, as it does to the actual Spontaneanation improv players whenever they do a show?

I've tried that. Doesn't work particularly well. But I usually AM able to avoid seeing who's in the episode until I hear them announced, because for some reason I enjoy that being a surprise as well.

The comments about the location made me wonder something. Does anyone who listens to this podcast try not to look at the episode title/location so that it comes as a surprise in the middle of the episode, as it does to the actual Spontaneanation improv players whenever they do a show? I've never tried it myself because it's so hard not to see an episode title before listening to the episode, but it reminds me of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" where the episode title is usually a joke that closes out the show's cold open. Watching "Sunny" on a streaming service means having to avert your eyes as you select an episode to watch so as not to spoil the joke.

Scott Aukerman makes his personal assistant download all the mp3's from earwolf's soundcloud page, rename them so they have random alphanumeric titles, strip them of ID3 tags, and then upload them to a 2005 model iPod (the U2 model). Scott then listens to these podcasts all night long. the next day, Scott throws the iPod into the garbage and the PA's job begins yet again.

And yes, he's always surprised and delighted by the location.

(source: i made it up)

Sign in to follow this