🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Top 10-15 Movies of the Year

After completing the Doug Loves Movies challenge with 375 movies watched this year, I figured it would be the best time to list my top 15 movies of the year. I limited it to films released this year since I saw a wide range of movies. Also wanted to know what everyone else's rankings were.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. The Hateful Eight

3. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

4. What We Do In the Shadows

5. Kingsman: the Secret Service

6. Jurassic World

7. Creed

8. Avengers: Age of Ultron

9. Sicario

10. Straight Outta Compton

11. Ex Machina

12. The Final Girls

13. It Follows

14. Legend

15. Turbo Kid

• Like 3

Good on you for finishing the challenge man! I've been trying to hit 365 new ones in a year for about 5 years now and it's still impossible with my schedule to complete lol. I got to 133 this year but I swear one of these times I'm gonna make it!

With that here is my top 15 (that I'm still having a hard time narrowing down and putting into a definitive order)

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

2. Dope

3. Love & Mercy

4. Creed

5. Mad Max: Fury Road

6. Ex Machina

7. Straight Outta Compton

8. The Martian

9. Crimson Peak

10. Beasts of No Nation

11. Jurassic World

12. Unexpected

13. Woman in Gold

14. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

15. Spy

Honorable mentions:

16. Trainwreck

17. Ant-Man

18. Tangerine

19. Brooklyn

20. About a Girl

• Like 3

See the DLM challenge was just watch 365, which is what I did. I didn't included movies I watched more than once in a year, was slacking by June but made up for it in October when I binge watch horror movies and watched about 120 during that month alone.

I think my top 3 for the year are:

Sicario

What We Do In The Shadows

Creed

The rest of my top 10 in no particular order:

Hateful 8

Ant-Man

Mad Max: Fury Road

The Peanuts Movie

Star Wars: Force Awakens

The Martian

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

I've been sitting on Ex Machina for a while, having picked it up for cheap on Blu-Ray on Black Friday, so it could knock something off the list once I see it, as well as The Revenant, which I'll see in a week. Looking at what came out this year, I see that I skipped a lot of stuff and have already forgotten a lot of movies.

• Like 2

Aw man, I would love to do this but the downside to living in Japan is that a lot of these movies haven't been here yet. There are a few that I really want to see like Sicario, The Martian, The Hateful 8, Crimson Peek, etc. but aren't here yet and other like Creed just came out and I haven't had a chance yet to go see. I also try to watch a new movie as often as possible, but because I want to see new things I spend more time watching older movies than current ones.

• Like 2

yeah, i stopped the dlmchallenge at #365. i tried to use it to watch movies i should have watched years ago or ones i never even heard of .. i made some bad choices .. i watched so many awful movies this year ... so i am now way behind on 2015 movies but if i was to list a few:

Mad Max: Fury Road

John Wick (only came out here in April)

Fast 7

What We Do In the Shadows

Kingsman: the Secret Service

Straight Outta Compton

Ex Machina

It Follows

Inside Out

Spy

still waiting on hateful 8 and creed to be released and the person who im supposed to go see star wars with is sick so ive promised to wait till shes better to go see it with her. im not sure how much longer i can wait though

i did watch alot of documentaries this year so heres a quick list of my favs:

Road

I know that voice

The Dog

The Act of Killing

Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The battered bastards of baseball

Tig

Electric boogaloo

• Like 2

Yeah I saw some truly shitty movies in October when I binged horror movies, Crazy Murder being the worst, though the good definitely outweighed the bad. Hateful Eight was amazing, and the Roadshow version was really an interesting experience since it had a musical overture before the movie started and an intermission, though the movie didn't feel like it was over three hours at all. I did want to beat the shit out of the family behind me who was discussing what was happening in the movie while it was playing and trying to figure out who each character was.

Tig was a great doc and I haven't gotten around to Electric Boogaloo, but ones like Game Over and Indie gamer were also really good. And as far as history docs go, Never Sleep Again and Crystal Lake Memories are fantastic documentaries on the Nightmare on Elm St. and Friday the 13th series that cover each movie or TV show in the for both and interviews not just main actors but also side characters who had bit parts but were memorable or had a memorable part, be warned though they are long, Never Sleep Again is around 4 hrs and Crystal Lake Memories is just under 7 hrs.

1-The Martian

2-Chappie

3-Fury Road

4-Krampus

5-Room

6-Trumbo

7-Ex Machina

8-Spy

9-Antman

10-Age of Ultron

11-Kingsman Secret Service

12-Sicario

13-MI5: Rogue Nation

14-Me and Earl and the dying girl

15-The Big Short

Honorable mentions:

Southpaw

The Night Before

Green Inferno

Spotlight

The Overnight

Biggest disappointments:

Jurassic, Terminator, Furious 7, Star Wars, Legend, Spectre

Best Hate-watches:

Fantastic Four(by a mile)

Last Witch Hunter

Pixels

The Visit

No Escape

Paranormal Ghost dimension(loud drunk haters in the audience + bonafide shhh-ing war)

Edit: Entourage, so mind boggling

• Like 2

Edit: Entourage, so mind boggling

I am curious, were you a fan of the show?

I am curious, were you a fan of the show?

Not even remotely a fan, no. Hence the hate-watch. Figured it would be at least semi-decent just for the never-ending cameos and maybe even pleasantly surprise me. But it left me feeling sick and shedding tears for humanity.

Like if Trumbo was a movie about hollywood's redeeming qualities, entourage was a movie about its worst qualities.

So yeah, wasn't a fan. Take this with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

I've been wanting to respond to this thread for days... :)

Honestly, most of my movie watching these days are the HDTGM movies, but I did manage to watch a surprising amount 2015 movies--many of which are due to me renting a bunch over the New Year's Holiday. Unfortunately, this means I have not yet seen Creed, Hateful 8, Ex Machina (on Netflix now, just have to find the time), or The Martian yet. I suspect once I see those, it could alter my list dramatically. But from what I've seen so far...

1) Inside Out (Not gonna lie--I probably started crying at about ten minutes in and then it was a battle to fight back the tears for the rest of the movie. That's right, I'm nothing if not a sentimental lunkhead.)

2) Love and Mercy

3) Ant-Man

4) Hunger Games (Not really great as a stand alone, but a satisfying wrap up to the series.)

6) Jurassic World

7) Star Wars

8) Mission Impossible 5

9) Furious 7

10) What We Do in Shadows

11) Spy

12) Tomorrowland

13) Jupiter Ascending (Guys, I've come to appreciate it.)

14) Home (Rihanna did a surprisingly good job, but the gratuitous use of her songs was nearly unbearable.)

15) Mad Max

Biggest Surprise likes (in no particular order):

1) San Andreas

2) The Scorch Trials

3) Strange Magic

Most disappointing:

1) Avengers: AoU

2) The Kingsmen

3) Trainwreck (To be fair, I think I only gave this about 15 minutes. I've heard it gets better. I just get impatient with movies these days. Maybe I'll give it another go...

Worst (again, no particular order):

1) Fantastic 4 (I went into it with an open mind, but it's even worse than what they say. Not even good on an ironic level.)

2) Insurgent

3) Minions

4) Cinderella (Couldn't even get through it. So worthless.)

5) Terminator

I'm still not sold on my "best of" list. I'm second guessing some placements, but I guess this will do for now.

• Like 5

3) Trainwreck (To be fair, I think I only gave this about 15 minutes. I've heard it gets better. I just get impatient with movies these days. Maybe I'll give it another go...

Worst (again, no particular order):

1) Fantastic 4 (I went into it with an open mind, but it's even worse than what they say. Not even good on an ironic level.)

2) Insurgent

3) Minions

4) Cinderella (Couldn't even get through it. So worthless.)

5) Terminator

I'm still not sold on my "best of" list. I'm second guessing some placements, but I guess this will do for now.

I thought Trainwreck was okay, but in the end it was a cookie cutter Apatow movie:

1. Independent person meets someone through their work or because of their work, usually after their is an awkward meeting with a oddball/dickish boss (Alan Tudyk, Diddy, Tilda Swinton) and an underling who is uncomfortable in the situation (Kristen Wiig in Knocked Up, Nick Kroll in Get Him to the Greek, Vanessa Bayer in Trainwreck).

2. Sparks fly and main character and other person start relationship.

3. Their differences tear them apart, briefly.

4. Sudden depressing/downer moment helps bring them together.

5. Main character ends up losing job or getting demoted.

6. They uneasily get back together.

7. They realize that they are perfect for each other, the end.

I will say though that the performances in Trainwreck from John Cena, Tilda Swinton, and Colin Quinn, were especially funny and Schumer was pretty good for a first time lead.

I'm surprised about your listing of Minions, that one I liked quite a bit, though I felt Sandra Bullock was kinda phoning in her performance.

As for Fantastic Four, I just was buying some DVDs at Walmart and on the display they have for new movies, that has already been bumped to the section with straight-to-DVD dreck and whatever Tyler Perry or the WWE is releasing this month. I knew that this movie was going to fail, but not THIS bad.

• Like 1

Not even remotely a fan, no. Hence the hate-watch. Figured it would be at least semi-decent just for the never-ending cameos and maybe even pleasantly surprise me. But it left me feeling sick and shedding tears for humanity.

Like if Trumbo was a movie about hollywood's redeeming qualities, entourage was a movie about its worst qualities.

So yeah, wasn't a fan. Take this with a grain of salt.

I'll probably hate watch it too. I was also never a fan, I watched the first season and thought it was really bad and have been in disbelief at how well received it has been.

Didn't see a ton of the movies released in 2015, but I'll give it a shot.

1) What We Do in the Shadows (Probably the most repeat-watched movie I've seen in years)

2) Mad Max: Fury Road

3) Ex-Machina

4) The Lobster

5) Star Wars: TFA

6) MI: Rogue Nation

7) Imitation Game

8) Slow West

9) Train Wreck

10) Inside Out

• Like 2

I could only manage 13, but here are my favorites of the year:

1. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

2. Ex Machina

3. Phoenix

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. What We Do In the Shadows

6. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

7. All Things Must Pass

8. The Hateful Eight

9. Furious 7

10. Electric Boogaloo: The Wild Untold Story of Cannon Films

11. Morphine: Journey of Dreams

12. Room

13. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

And my least favorites:

1. Spectre

2. Fantastic Four

3. American Ultra

4. Terminator: Genisys

5. The Avengers: Age of Ultron

6. Cinderella

7. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 2

8. The Kingsmen:The Secret Service

9. Entourage

10. 50 Shades of Grey

• Like 2

1. Mad Max: Fury Road

2. The Martian

3. Spotlight

4. Ant-Man

5. Star Wars: The Force Awakens

6. Imitation Game

7. Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

8. Black Mass

9. Crimson Peak

10. Kingsman Secret Service

• Like 1

I just saw Tig and The Big Short and both will probably change up my list too.

I usually make one list for the end of the year and then one again just before the Oscars as I try and catch up on things so I'll probably post an entire new one around that time.

I liked The Big Short, especially how it handled portraying things in lay terms using celebrities and the performances of Bale and Carell were great. I didn't like that they glossed over a lot of stuff concerning who all was involved in the crisis, but did appreciate that they were at least honest enough to show that the main characters really weren't well intentioned people themselves, but rather guys looking to make a buck just as much as the people on the other side of the coin.

Stuff I'd like to mention:

- The Final Girls, because of how it pays hommage but also parodies slasher flicks

- Ex Machina, because Alex Garland is the man

- Bone Tomahawk, because staches & cannibals

• Like 1

Stuff I'd like to mention:

- The Final Girls, because of how it pays hommage but also parodies slasher flicks

- Ex Machina, because Alex Garland is the man

- Bone Tomahawk, because staches & cannibals

Interesting thing, I review I read about The Final Girls in Rue Morgue Magazine, which is all about horror movies, and they absolutely hated it. Unfortunately, the review wasn't anything more than a slash piece because the movie had the gall to give honest satire about the slasher film genre. The reviewer and the magazine, takes itself way to seriously in regards to the genre which is unfortunate because while they hated this movie, they gave glowing reviews to some of the worst looking straight-to-DVD dreck I've ever seen, mainly because it was gory and used practical effects.

I saw the Revenant last night, and while I really enjoyed it, I thought it was about 30 minutes too long, as it lingered on the flashbacks and visions. It was a beautifully shot movie and the acting was great, to the point I think Leo might finally get his Oscar, but in the end I'd have it in the back five of my top 10.

I didn't see enough (good) movies in 2015 to warrant a list, but the best movie I saw last year is "Amy."

Interesting thing, I review I read about The Final Girls in Rue Morgue Magazine, which is all about horror movies, and they absolutely hated it. Unfortunately, the review wasn't anything more than a slash piece because the movie had the gall to give honest satire about the slasher film genre. The reviewer and the magazine, takes itself way to seriously in regards to the genre which is unfortunate because while they hated this movie, they gave glowing reviews to some of the worst looking straight-to-DVD dreck I've ever seen, mainly because it was gory and used practical effects.

I saw the Revenant last night, and while I really enjoyed it, I thought it was about 30 minutes too long, as it lingered on the flashbacks and visions. It was a beautifully shot movie and the acting was great, to the point I think Leo might finally get his Oscar, but in the end I'd have it in the back five of my top 10.

This is why it's so hard for me to take most critics seriously (with any kind of media). I've seen way too many people give things that are great bad reviews just because it makes them seem hip and cool. And then a few vice versa because they like to make all the negative reviews seem overly negative and they're really the shining beacon of light.

Art is subjective and therefore can truly only be reviewed by you for yourself.

Now with that being said lol did you notice any sound issues with The Revenant? The most complaints that I've heard is that the sound mixing is terrible and some of the adr just screams last minute addition. I haven't seen it yet but I've actually never really been a fan of the music/sound mixing in Inarritu's films so it doesn't surprise me that this one would have the same complaints.

• Like 1

That's always been a big thing with horror movies, if they are loved by horror fans, for the most part critics hate them except for rare instance, and if a bunch love a horror movie (which is an average of 60% on RT), then "true horror fans" almost always hate them in a weird punk rock kinda way where they feel their territory encroached on. Most critics I ignore, especially the high level ones who are just snobs (AO Scott, Rex Reed, Siskel & Ebert), because for the most part they just look down on most of what comes out. Ebert in particular is weird because he gets lauded as this great critic and this show has proven that he had HORRIBLE taste in movies as he was the only one giving out thumbs up reviews to movies that were hated by everyone else. Yet great movies like The Raid or the first Kick-Ass get 1 star reviews because there is one minute thing he doesn't like or one thing he makes up in order to not like a movie, like when he said they were sexualizing Hit Girl in Kick-Ass when that was nowhere near the case.

The sound really isn't an issue for me, though I can see where some might be complaining as the fights really push a theater's surround sound because so much is happening, especially in the first scene. I think with how the director was using the natural light gimmick for this movie, there might have been a smaller crew all around to create the perceived issue, but I don't know. Hardy's accent can also be off putting a bit because it swings from Southern to his natural one every once in a while.

Sign in to follow this