๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Top 10-15 Movies of the Year

Interesting thing, I review I read about The Final Girls in Rue Morgue Magazine, which is all about horror movies, and they absolutely hated it. Unfortunately, the review wasn't anything more than a slash piece because the movie had the gall to give honest satire about the slasher film genre. The reviewer and the magazine, takes itself way to seriously in regards to the genre which is unfortunate because while they hated this movie, they gave glowing reviews to some of the worst looking straight-to-DVD dreck I've ever seen, mainly because it was gory and used practical effects.

ย 

It's weird, even though The Final Girls has so many ties to the horror genre; it's too meta to be considered pure horror. Does that make any sense? Anyway, I dug it. I liked that Thomas Middleditch is in it because I like Silicon Valley and his sense of humor. I liked the tone of the self-aware comedy, and how it was riffing on some of my favorite movies growing up (the Friday the 13th series in particular, but not limited to).

Yeah it really wasn't a horror movie because the comedy was at such the forefront, particularly with the the slutty counselor who almost ripping her skin off in order to get naked. Unfortunately some slasher fans are way too into the forest in order to appreciate the trees. Having watched quite a few documentaries on the big series, Friday and Nightmare, in particular, the fans really take it WAY too seriously. I love slashers and those involved with them, my profile pic as proof, but some of the people I saw at these conventions have made it so much a part of their lives, that they were literally shaking and sweating in fear before meeting these actors.

Hahaha, yeah a huge part of me loving them is definitely the part that makes them impossible to take serious. They're just dumb, campy fun.

Yeah it really wasn't a horror movie because the comedy was at such the forefront, particularly with the the slutty counselor who almost ripping her skin off in order to get naked. Unfortunately some slasher fans are way too into the forest in order to appreciate the trees. Having watched quite a few documentaries on the big series, Friday and Nightmare, in particular, the fans really take it WAY too seriously. I love slashers and those involved with them, my profile pic as proof, but some of the people I saw at these conventions have made it so much a part of their lives, that they were literally shaking and sweating in fear before meeting these actors.

Those horror documentaries are almost a genre in and of themselves now, and they sort of retroactively add new layers of entertainment to those original movies. It's funny to hear the stories, especially from people that barely or never worked again about working on those things that thought they were really going to make it, because in some cases you can see where they were really swinging for the fences or at least THOUGHT they were. I guess it just wasn't your time, "fourth guy to get machete'd in the back in Friday the 13th Part 7". There's also a lot of crossover between the different docs too, as I remember seeing some people in "Never Sleep Again" that were like "This was the greatest thing ever! Greatest moment of my life! I love doing appearances!" about being killed in Part 5 or whatever that then look completely embarrassed to be at the conventions when the dad from "Troll 2", who found success outside of movies, starts ribbing them on it in "Best Worst Movie".

ย 

Oh, speaking of meeting actors and top movies of the year, I haven't seen it yet, but I met an HDTGM alum while working on "Concussion"...

ย 

734905_10100809904117926_7639377492095848245_n.jpg?oh=255fbf7dfa1e3831a86707b0d2a8a042&oe=573EEA8F

ย 

...right after he did this...

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc_mZ23-WJQ

ย 

Seemed like a pretty good dude.

ย 

Cheap plug: Feel free to subscribe to my channel on YouTube if you'd like. I work on a lot of independent wrestling shows as a cameraman and then also link to other projects I'm associated with, such as a web series I work on that features some girls that used to be on "Dance Moms". Man, I'll bet that those are watched by the WRONG people...

• Like 2

See when I watched Best Worst Movie, the convention scenes came off like Troll 2 doesn't have the cult following as it would appear, unlike The Room. I remember seeing a lot of confused faces of people when the dad was describing the movie and his role.

ย 

On a side note, I know Heather Langenkamp released a documentary about her life in the shadow of Robert Englund, despite her being a huge part of the franchise, yet the saddest thing I saw when meeting Englund was right next to him was the actress who played Heather's mom in the first Nightmare movie and the difference between his line and her non-existent one was incredibly sad. The only line that was more sad was when I met Malcolm McDowell at Wizard Con, who had no line, and on either side of him was the main line and then overflow line, for Danny Trejo, who was AMAZING to meet in person.

• Like 1

See when I watched Best Worst Movie, the convention scenes came off like Troll 2 doesn't have the cult following as it would appear, unlike The Room. I remember seeing a lot of confused faces of people when the dad was describing the movie and his role.

ย 

On a side note, I know Heather Langenkamp released a documentary about her life in the shadow of Robert Englund, despite her being a huge part of the franchise, yet the saddest thing I saw when meeting Englund was right next to him was the actress who played Heather's mom in the first Nightmare movie and the difference between his line and her non-existent one was incredibly sad. The only line that was more sad was when I met Malcolm McDowell at Wizard Con, who had no line, and on either side of him was the main line and then overflow line, for Danny Trejo, who was AMAZING to meet in person.

That's the thing with cons, and they kind of get into that, like what kind of guests do well at which shows. A high B-level horror guy could kill it at a horror con, but nobody might give a shit at a comic or sci-fi show. You would THINK that being set up by the big guest would be good because of all the traffic that it generates, but it could totally backfire, with you instead having to sit there uncomfortably while you're surrounded by people that just don't give a shit who you are.

That's the thing with cons, and they kind of get into that, like what kind of guests do well at which shows. A high B-level horror guy could kill it at a horror con, but nobody might give a shit at a comic or sci-fi show. You would THINK that being set up by the big guest would be good because of all the traffic that it generates, but it could totally backfire, with you instead having to sit there uncomfortably while you're surrounded by people that just don't give a shit who you are.

That was the case with McDowell who was on all of the promotional material for the event but you could literally walk up to him because that's how small his line was. He was also kinda grumpy because of that and left early, just walking through the crowd, and only my buddy and me along with one other chick knew who he was.

I remember that you posted the pic of the line of McDowell and it just surprises me that there isn't a huge Clockwork Orange following.

I remember that you posted the pic of the line of McDowell and it just surprises me that there isn't a huge Clockwork Orange following.

Not to mention he's just a terrific actor! That just really surprises me but also I shouldn't be considering the kind of people I've seen at cons.

It was surprising because McDowell has done a lot of B level stuff and video games, so it was surprising to see how non-existent his line was, it also didn't help his cause that he wasn't taking pictures with anyone. On the opposite end was Henry Winkler who was AMAZING in person. Not only was he in front of his table and talking with people while not hassling people to get them through the line or buy a bunch of stuff

1533868_10206666076468040_7621358863091906514_n.jpg?oh=c97a2d2952b205939d820251c81bfabd&oe=570E292B

• Like 2

It just seems so weird that a man that appeared in a lunchables commercial dressed like this takes himself so seriously

tLHiSm7.jpg

Stuff I'd like to mention:

- The Final Girls, because of how it pays hommage but also parodies slasher flicks

ย 

carlofornia_raisin... Have you seen "The Cabin In The Woods" and/or "Detention" ??? If so... What did you think??? ( This question is also for everybody in the forum :D )

• Like 1

ย 

ย 

carlofornia_raisin... Have you seen "The Cabin In The Woods" and/or "Detention" ??? If so... What did you think??? ( This question is also for everybody in the forum :D/> )

"Cabin in the Woods" is great, and I own and really like "Detention", but I haven't had much luck getting others turned on to it and don't really hear it talked about very much.

• Like 1

"Cabin in the Woods" is great, and I own and really like "Detention", but I haven't had much luck getting others turned on to it and don't really hear it talked about very much.

ย 

I also own Detention on BluRay and I have the Clapton Davis Tshirt that I won via a Facebook contest...1461695_10152018573207559_377262355_n.jpg?oh=1d91836a8778b9bb5e3a05b92a841af9&oe=573E459B&__gda__=1459644482_562781e8cba055424857b276458b2487

ย 

That's me rocking the T-shirt and Noah Hathaway from "The NeverEnding Story" at a Comic Book Convention in Venezuela a couple years back...

My top 15 movies of 2015

ย 

1. Ex Machina

2. Time Lapse

3. Coherence

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. Ant-Man

6. The Martian

7. Star Wars Ep VII: The Force Awakens

8. The Infinite Man

9. Turbo Kid

10. Inside Out

11. The Final Girls

12. Anomalisa

13. John Wick

14. Sicario

15. Jurassic World

ย 

Bonus Entries ( In no particular order ): Sucker, Being Evel, What We Do In The Shadows, Search Party, The Babadook, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Furious 7, Burying the Ex, Trainwreck, Cop Car, Kill Me Three Times, Sleeping With Other People, Back In Time, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, Youth, The Revenant, The Hateful Eight

ย 

Worst of 2015 IMHO: Predestination, Taken 3 (Or Tak3n), Muck and The Transporter Refueled

• Like 1

My top 15 movies of 2015

ย 

1. Ex Machina

2. Time Lapse

3. Coherence

4. Mad Max: Fury Road

5. Ant-Man

6. The Martian

7. Star Wars Ep VII: The Force Awakens

8. The Infinite Man

9. Turbo Kid

10. Inside Out

11. The Final Girls

12. Anomalisa

13. John Wick

14. Sicario

15. Jurassic World

ย 

Bonus Entries ( In no particular order ): Sucker, Being Evel, What We Do In The Shadows, Search Party, The Babadook, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Furious 7, Burying the Ex, Trainwreck, Cop Car, Kill Me Three Times, Sleeping With Other People, Back In Time, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, Youth, The Revenant, The Hateful Eight

ย 

Worst of 2015 IMHO: Predestination, Taken 3 (Or Tak3n), Muck and The Transporter Refueled

ย 

Overall I think 2015 was a bad year for movies, I'm very excited about 2016 and 2017

ย 

My top 10:

ย 

1.Whiplash

2.Selma

3.Sicario

4.The Martian

5.Creed

6.The Revavenant

7.It Follows (even if just for the satire, good movie)

8. Mad Max

9. Steve Jobs

10. Still Alice

ย 

Mostly in order

• Like 2

Oh last thing, Honorable mention Time Lapse amazing sci-fi film

ย 

Damn one more sci fi movie Circle, great movie, a little stereotypical at times, but great

• Like 1

Damn one more sci fi movie Circle, great movie, a little stereotypical at times, but great

I found Circle by chance on Netflix when I was doing my yearly horror marathon last October. I liked the idea of basically exaggerating the stereotypes in order for this "game" to play out and the audience has to learn along with the players what they are actually dealing it. Another great one that was on Netflix last I checked is called Exam and like Circle is made up of character actors or extras, I think Colin Salmon is the biggest name in the cast, but it works well as a single room movie. It basically involves a handful of people who are competing for a job, the audience doesn't know what the job is, and the interviewees really don't either to an extent, and they are tasked with answering a single question in order to try and get the job. The trick though is they don't know what the question is, they can't leave the room or ask the armed guard in the room for help, and they can't alter the test paper that they are given in any way whatsoever. The chemistry between the actors is great because it builds the story through dialogue and some actions, rather than the other way around.

• Like 2

I found Circle by chance on Netflix when I was doing my yearly horror marathon last October. I liked the idea of basically exaggerating the stereotypes in order for this "game" to play out and the audience has to learn along with the players what they are actually dealing it. Another great one that was on Netflix last I checked is called Exam and like Circle is made up of character actors or extras, I think Colin Salmon is the biggest name in the cast, but it works well as a single room movie. It basically involves a handful of people who are competing for a job, the audience doesn't know what the job is, and the interviewees really don't either to an extent, and they are tasked with answering a single question in order to try and get the job. The trick though is they don't know what the question is, they can't leave the room or ask the armed guard in the room for help, and they can't alter the test paper that they are given in any way whatsoever. The chemistry between the actors is great because it builds the story through dialogue and some actions, rather than the other way around.

ย 

I will certainly gal a look at the exam, thanks.

Sign in to follow this