🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 268 - Slime Wrestling

Businessman and "Just Jillian" executive producer Giancarlo Chersich comes bearing gifts for Ku and H. Michael Kre on this week's Who Charted? They discuss modern music legends and Generation Z being "alone together" during the Billboard's Hot 100 music chart. The Top 5 Movies chart inspires conversation about the Oscar-nominated films, making "Just Jillian" and hosting a slime wrestling event in high school. Later, Howard recaps his San Francisco tour and Kulap updates us on "Bajillion Dollar Propertie$" during The Bugle.

Oh boy... learn how to pronounce the product before you promote the company.

Anyone else not as enthused about this guest as Howard is? I feel like I'm being sold a used car.

Understandable @FUCK! But you can definitely tell how he's so successful - his energy, enthusiasm and intelligence drew in all 3 other people in the room. Almost instantly they all wanted to impress him and learn from him.

I really admire someone like Giancarlo and I think it's a fun change from the normal "working creative"-types who are the normal Whooch guests.

Having said that if we're gonna have some one on who knows Howard then I want Brody Stevens 100 times out of 100.

• Like 2

Anyone else not as enthused about this guest as Howard is? I feel like I'm being sold a used car.

If you listen to the show, you'd know it's one of his close friends. ;)

• Like 1

While I found Giancarlo an interesting and fun guest, his dismissive comment when asked by Kulap about seeing the Danish girl was a little bothersome. Perhaps I am just too sensitive, but, "No, I won't go see that." sounds like he ight have issues with Transgender folks. Coming from a smaller town, that sort of answer usually has undertones of "because I don't think we should promote that sort of thing."

I'm probably wrong, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

• Like 2

While I found Giancarlo an interesting and fun guest, his dismissive comment when asked by Kulap about seeing the Danish girl was a little bothersome. Perhaps I am just too sensitive, but, "No, I won't go see that." sounds like he ight have issues with Transgender folks. Coming from a smaller town, that sort of answer usually has undertones of "because I don't think we should promote that sort of thing."

I'm probably wrong, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

I agree, you're probably wrong

this is just like people reacting to Whitney Cummings on CBB with "lets just say I skipped to the first commercial break", great... that's mature of you

You can assume anything you want to about people from hearing a sentence they spoke on a podcast, but at the end of the day you should remind yourself that it came from your brain, not theirs. A guy reacted quickly to someone mentioning a movie that probably was not up his alley. If he was asked if he saw Inside Out and he responded the same way, what mean conclusion would you then draw?

I agree, you're probably wrong

this is just like people reacting to Whitney Cummings on CBB with "lets just say I skipped to the first commercial break", great... that's mature of you

You can assume anything you want to about people from hearing a sentence they spoke on a podcast, but at the end of the day you should remind yourself that it came from your brain, not theirs. A guy reacted quickly to someone mentioning a movie that probably was not up his alley. If he was asked if he saw Inside Out and he responded the same way, what mean conclusion would you then draw?

If he said anything about Inside out, I wouldn't give a shit as it has nothing in it that would be controversial/make people uncomfortable (his "No, I won't see that" would be construed as him saying, "I don't go see animated films."). I'm not sure if you know this or not, but when you deal with a lot of discrimination/are very close to people who deal with a lot of discrimination on a daily/weekly basis, you kind of pick up on the way people will dismiss something. The way in which Giancarlo dismissed it seemed to be a value judgement on his part, a way of saying "No" that also says, "and I don't want to discuss my reasons for not wanting to see it." However, it may simply be the case that he doesn't go see any movies that deal with dramatic themes. Whatever, it bothered me. Sorry I've gone and offended you so dearly. Go back to complaining about the new format or whatever.

• Like 1

If he said anything about Inside out, I wouldn't give a shit as it has nothing in it that would be controversial/make people uncomfortable (his "No, I won't see that" would be construed as him saying, "I don't go see animated films.").

It wouldn't surprise me at all if your overall point is right, but I took it as this exact scenario, but with "period dramas" swapped in for animated films. A lot of people have the idea that those movies are all boring and just dismiss them out of hand. (And, for what it's worth, most of what I've hear about The Danish Girl is that the two leads are great but that it's still boring.)

• Like 2

I won't see THE DANISH GIRL because it looks like pure Oscar-bait trash.
p.s. really enjoyed sam on this ep
  • Like 2

p.s. really enjoyed sam on this ep

Me too, aside from his blatant case of false advertising in using the "and Stard!" version of the theme.

• Like 5

As always, I enjoyed this episode and it was packed with great energy. I did want to comment and say that Howard's "nailed it!" response to the question about why Vietnamese women are great at manis and pedis made me laugh and I think diffused the situation well. I know Giancarlo didn't mean to be offensive, but it was an offensive question (obviously) and I always appreciate Kulap's ability to laugh about it as well.

Sam was great!

I know Giancarlo didn't mean to be offensive, but it was an offensive question (obviously)

Why is it an offensive question though? It's reality. There's tons of nail salons run by Vietnamese women. It's a legitimate question, and seemed like a cultural thing to him. It makes no sense that if a certain ethnicity has a proclivity toward something we can't even talk about it without being labeled as offensive.

The reality is, there is an actual reason for it, and it involves actress Tippi Hedren and Vietnamese refugees. She helped them find an industry, find work and find homes in America, and you're claiming it's offensive to ask how it happened.

http://www.takepart....s-nail-industry

@NameThatPunky It's offensive because he asked Kulap about Vietnamese women, basically assuming that she would know the answer just because she's Asian. But she has no familiarity with the culture or anything like that, he's just basing it on the fact that she's "from that sector" as Howard likes to jokingly say. I mean, there's a reason why Howard often jokes about that and Kulap will say, "oh geeze". Just because Kulap is Asian doesn't mean that she would know everything about other Asian cultures or people. He's not in any way asking about the history of how Vietnamese people came to America. (And if that were the question, it wouldn't be offensive.)

Also, it is actually pretty offensive that you're saying that Vietnamese people have a proclivity towards things like manis, pedis, and massages, lol. That is what we would call a stereotype. No race has a proclivity towards any occupation. Vietnamese immigrants were brought into this industry because they had no choice. By the way, this is why Howard said, "out of necessity they went into those jobs..." it's not because they "have a proclivity" toward salon work haha.

Btw, I do want to add that I really did like Giancarlo as a guest. I just think that one part was a bit of an awkward moment that was very quickly made humorous, and I think that was really awesomeof both hosts.

• Like 1

LOVED this ep! Giancarlo rules! Really enjoyed his energy and all that he said, If he had a podcast I would totally tune in.

Also I have definitely heard Kulap say, "Your energy is electric" or she may have even said "electric energy" before on a previous episode, those phrases, "electric energy" , "your energy is electric" I connect with, so I figured i'd attach this song

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

I found this guy completely deplorable last time he was on.

Namely his "Don't get too big, girl," comment regarding Kulap's workout routine.

Honest question - should I bother?

• Like 1

I found this guy completely deplorable last time he was on.

Namely his "Don't get too big, girl," comment regarding Kulap's workout routine.

Honest question - should I bother?

Honest answer - no. You're not going to like him anymore than his last appearance.

Sign in to follow this