🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 128 - Streets of Fire: LIVE!

Speaking of "Renegade"...

39414_front.jpg

And just for comparison sake here is the game as it originally came out in Japan.

casnekketu1.jpg

And for fun this is River City Ransom, which was a sequel to this game.

002.jpg

• Like 2

I was looking to see if I could find out how much money Streets of Fire made in Japan. I couldn't find the exact figure but I did find a release schedule for movies released in 1984. In the last weekend of May saw the release of Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom. Then a week later Streets of Fire was release alongside Star Trek III The Search for Spock (arguably the best of the odd numbered Star Trek films). The following week Ghostbusters and Gremlins were released, and the week after that saw the release of The Karate Kid and HDTGM favourite Rhinestone. Ghostbusters, Temple of Doom, Gremlins and Karate Kid were all among the top five highest grossing films of 1984 and Star Trek was in the top ten. I guess it's no surprise that this film just kinda got missed and overlooked.

• Like 3

Two notes about the music that I don't think I've read yet:

"Countdown to Love" was the best part of this movie. Hands down. I found myself thoroughly entertained by that scene. Best possible way to prove you're a good band: whip out those harmonies.

Did anybody else think they were having a stroke when "I Can Dream About You" happened? That's a song that makes its first appearance IN THIS MOVIE, with the guys from the band lip syncing to Dan Hartman's performance (why? You have a perfectly good group up there! Get them in the studio and re-do the vocals!) Also, the series of denoument dialogue exchanges involved here required lengthening the song, such that you hear the "moving sidewalks" verse an insane amount of times.

Great episode -- I am way too excited for the Apple!

Oh, and one more thing:

Don't fables have morals?

• Like 1

Oh, and one more thing:

Don't fables have morals?

The moral of the story is don't steal Tom Cody's ex-girlfriend. And I really took that to heart.

• Like 5

In happier news, "Outsiders" debuted tonight on WGN. In that show, I appear as a cop that somehow manages to work at every desk in the police station at one point or another during the course of the season. My shining moment will be when one of the main characters hands a prisoner off to me in the eighth episode or so.

Congrats!

The woman credited as "Subway Motorwoman" - Lynne Thigpen, would later go on to play "The Chief" on the TV show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego."

Carmen_zps8ierjk9j.jpg

Also for another Walter Hill connection, she was "The Voice" in The Warriors.

• Like 2

I am glad The Renegades because it gives me an excuse to share the greatest TV intro of all time.

Also, Michael Pare was not in The Renegades, but a young Patrick Swayze (also mentioned in the episode) was.

I didn't expect much, but I was quickly grinning at the length of it all - the face shots, the walking feet. Totally lost it when the first cop shook his head, everything after that (the 'eh-I'm-making-like-I'm-a-funny-guy-and-vaguely-italian' 2nd cop, and the overlong we-look-like-enemies-but-we're-bros grin exchange) was just a bonus. Can't believe that's only 1:47min, it felt like my life drained away while watching...

• Like 1

So, they asked what’s a Sorel? and came up blank. Well, I’ll throw this out there.

Walter Hill likes myths and heroes and violence (see The Warriors)..

I did some searching and found out that Georges Sorel was a French philosopher.

Wikipedia sez:

“His notion of the power of myth in people's lives inspired Marxists and Fascists.[4] It is, together with his defense of violence, the contribution for which he is most often remembered.”

This source sez:

http://www.encyclope...rges_Sorel.aspx

“Reflections on Violence is the work of Sorel‘s which aroused by far the greatest response. This book is chiefly a philosophical commentary on revolutionary syndicalism, a commentary strongly inspired by Bergson‘s thought. In it Sorel developed the notions of “myth” and “violence.” “

And this source doubles down and sounds a bit familiar…

“Sorel believed that the Proletariat, properly motivated, had all of the necessary traits to become what Nietzsche had called “the blond beast.” Sorel was referencing the archetypal Roman legionnaire or Homeric hero whose disciplined bravery had “cleared a path for [them] on land and see, everywhere erecting imperishable monuments for good or evil.” He equated this momentous bravery with what he called a “heroic mentality.” Sorel saw the acquisition of this mentality as essential for the proletariat’s ultimate destiny: the accomplishment of feats of glory.

This philosophy was so alluring because it advocated immediate violent action…Sorel’s doctrine allowed individuals to take the course of history into their own hands.”

http://www.joejerome...ments/sorel.pdf

I think if you read this, it is clear why this movie had to end in a sledgehammer battle.

Sorel also means a “Young buck (deer) in its third year” or a yellowish or reddish brown color. I'm gonna guess the color reference is not intended, but "young buck"? Maybe.

If either of those are true, it is the most obscure, elliptical band name ever.

I think it's important to mention that Ry Cooder was responsible for all the music in this movie... Yes Ry Cooder; the guy who brought us Buena Vista Social Club.

Apparently the now legendary James Horner, known for such films as Star Trek III (to which the box office gross is compared to this film on wikipedia), was tapped originally to score the film, and after he made three complete scores for the film, was ultimately sacked for the aforementioned.

Seriously though; considering his rock credentials, Ry does seem a better choice.

I haven't played a GTA game in years, but I think I would play this one.

If you want a game that's kind of similar then try Sleeping Dogs, it's basically every John Woo film distilled into a game.

Calling out Cameron H.

I think your assessment is almost perfection... But for one crucial element. Raven Shaddock isn't merely a poser; he is the ultimate anti-hero. A villain who wants nothing (a kiss). Think about it, his motivation is pure chaos in the face of unrivaled malaise. Why... Why I ask you would he be the villain in this picture:

- Because he's ugly inside

- Because he wears rubber pants.

NO

He is a greaser!

This film is a battering ram against greasers; the ultimate anti establishment symbol of the times.

The only problem? Greasers have the only interesting story to be tolled, no one wants a reverse Outsiders story!

The writers knew they'd chosen the boring side, and wrote any way... And write they did, WROTE AWAY, as if they could escape their insane premise.

They chose the wrong side when they started this screenplay, and payed the ultimate price: Boring characters with no purpose.

Raven is the clear hero... At least he kissed Diane Lane instead of punching her directly in the face.

• Like 1

Calling out Cameron H.

giphy.gif

I think your assessment is almost perfection...

giphy.gif

Raven Shaddock isn't merely a poser; he is the ultimate anti-hero. A villain who wants nothing (a kiss). Think about it, his motivation is pure chaos in the face of unrivaled malaise. Why... Why I ask you would he be the villain in this picture:

- Because he's ugly inside

- Because he wears rubber pants.

NO

He is a greaser!

This film is a battering ram against greasers; the ultimate anti establishment symbol of the times.

The only problem? Greasers have the only interesting story to be tolled, no one wants a reverse Outsiders story!

The writers knew they'd chosen the boring side, and wrote any way... And write they did, WROTE AWAY, as if they could escape their insane premise.

They chose the wrong side when they started this screenplay, and payed the ultimate price: Boring characters with no purpose.

Raven is the clear hero... At least he kissed Diane Lane instead of punching her directly in the face.

This is a lot to process, and I may need to come back to it later when I'm a little more awake. I see where you're coming from, but I don't know if you're given Cody his due. To me, Cody is very Tom Joad-ish (hmmm...Tom Joad. Tom CODE-Y? Interesting...) which should have made him very compelling, and I don't think it's necessarily the character's fault that Pare couldn't deliver the goods.

But I agree, nobody wants a reverse Outsiders story. The thought of Johnny and Dallas raising from the grave just so they can see a movie at the drive-in would be downright ghoulish.

• Like 4

I love the thought that this movie was big in Japan and I could totally see that. Some geniuses put these together and it would be amazing if they actually did an anime like this.

It really is like Tokyo.

• Like 1

And...can I ask the obvious question that Paul needs to think hard about.

WOULD THIS MOVIE BE BETTER WITH NICHOLAS CAGE IN IT?

Before you answer, consider these options:

-Cage as Cody

-Cage as Raven

-Cage as Fish

Discuss.

And...can I ask the obvious question that Paul needs to think hard about.

WOULD THIS MOVIE BE BETTER WITH NICHOLAS CAGE IN IT?

Before you answer, consider these options:

-Cage as Cody

-Cage as Raven

-Cage as Fish

Discuss.

I think Paul retired the Nic Cage question a month or two ago. I know he was looking for new segments, but I think he was getting tired of it.

The opening song is actually Bonnie Tyler not Pat Benatar. She also did "I Need a Hero" from Short Circuit 2. I also thought it was Pat Benatar. They have a similar sound.

http://www.last.fm/m...Streets+Of+Fire)

It is neither. It's a blend of Laurie Sargent and Holly Sherwood.

• Like 2

It is neither. It's a blend of Laurie Sargent and Holly Sherwood.

Yeah, the only connection to Tyler is that Steinman wrote most of Tyler's songs and Nowhere Fast.

• Like 2

As another poster pointed out some of the songs sounded like lost Meatloaf songs. Well at least one of them was.

Wikipedia says: "Nowhere Fast" is a song, performed by Fire Inc. in 1984 for the rock movie Streets of Fire. An alternate version of the song was recorded by Meat Loaf the same year.

The reason the sound like Meatlof songs is because they are Jim Steinman songs. He's the one responsible for the vast majority of songs Meatloaf did. Also, Air Supply's "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All," Bonniw Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart' and "Holding Ot For A Hero." even Sister's Of Mercy's "This Corrosion."

He has a VERY distinctive musical and lyrical style. He also tends to use what I like to call the "Steinman Reverse" where he uses a lot of opposites in the lyrics: I would do anything for love... But i won't do that;

You and me we're goin' nowhere slowly...but we should be goin' nowhere fast; Once upon a time I was falling in love, but now I'm only falling apart; etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say, I love the guy. :)

-PIZmeyre

• Like 2

The thing about this movie is that, like was said, it's "Another Time And Place." That's why you have the 50s look mixed with 80s stylings. Also, Cody has returned from "The War" that has been going on for some time. I think the idea is to imagine if WWII hadn't ended and is still going strong.

And you know, Dottie from "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" was also the singer at the big dance in "Better Off Dead." She also had a small but memorable role in the Jon Cryer/Demi Moore vehicle "No Small Affair" as Jon's character's soon-to-be sister-in-law.

I am just gonna keep assembling bits of the sequel movie until I get a full cut. It is totally bonkers this even exists. Ellen and Tom have a daughter (also named Ellen, also a rock star). She also returns home for a gig after hitting it big. Nuttiness. But Singer Roxy Gunn looks cool in the clips, she looks like she really could be their kid.

Here's the clips of her and her band performing the main songs from Streets Of Fire:

Nowhere Fast:

and Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young:

REALLY good performances.

-PIZmeyre

• Like 1

The reason the sound like Meatlof songs is because they are Jim Steinman songs. He's the one responsible for the vast majority of songs Meatloaf did. Also, Air Supply's "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All," Bonniw Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart' and "Holding Ot For A Hero." even Sister's Of Mercy's "This Corrosion."

He has a VERY distinctive musical and lyrical style. He also tends to use what I like to call the "Steinman Reverse" where he uses a lot of opposites in the lyrics: I would do anything for love... But i won't do that;

You and me we're goin' nowhere slowly...but we should be goin' nowhere fast; Once upon a time I was falling in love, but now I'm only falling apart; etc. etc. etc.

Needless to say, I love the guy. :)/>

-PIZmeyre

Man, I love Sisters of Mercy and that song. I did not know Steinman produced that! Now that you say it, it is obvious. Wow. Cool trivia!

Also since I mentioned her several posts back, here's Laurie Sargent's band face to face. Not the punk band face to face.

You can hear echoes of Ellen Aim's voice in hers. This song was a minor hit in the 80s around the same time as Streets.