#41 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:38 PM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 25 January 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

i only saw the warrirors for the first time last summer and i bloody loved it. it was part of the DLMChallenge. that same weekend i watched near dark for the first time (had a bit of an 80s cult movie weeked) and the great bill paxton was in it,

I'm doing the DLM Challenge this year, so I'm probably going to check out The Warriors as part of it. And now I'll probably add Near Dark to it as well.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#42 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

I'm doing the challenge again to see if I can beat my last tally, since I wasn't really trying until 6 months in last year. Already got a good pace going and I keep finding insane things to watch on Amazon or Netflix so it shouldn't be too hard.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#43 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:47 PM

Speaking of challenges I highly recommend that while completing the DLM challenge that you work in the 52 films by women. I'm find that easier to complete than any other film challenge and it's a great way to support female directors!
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#44 Mathey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:50 PM

I loved this movie, un-ironically. I don't know if its particularly good, mind you, but the visuals, music, and style really hit me hard as a kid when I saw it on local TV. There's little to no logic to the plot and essentially 0 character development - sort of trademarks of Walter Hill, honestly - but the mishmash of B-movie nonsense hit my subconscious in a good way.

#45 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

View Posttaylorannephoto, on 25 January 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

Speaking of challenges I highly recommend that while completing the DLM challenge that you work in the 52 films by women. I'm find that easier to complete than any other film challenge and it's a great way to support female directors!

But what if I don't like women?

#46 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 25 January 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

But what if I don't like women?

Then you've been doing a good job at hiding your disdain of me
"Taylor doesn't comment often, but when she does, she burns the whole fuckin' place down." - CakeBug Tranch

#47 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

i posted this in the mini thread but for those who dont partake in those heres a great video someone put together with the best bits (well, most of the best bits) of the movie and the first song, nowhere fast. i think it makes the movie look amazing. so if you dont want to watch the movie or cant find it ....

#48 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

View Posttaylorannephoto, on 25 January 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

How have I been doing? My irrational, seething rage for you is the food from which I nourish myself... :)

Posted Image
Violet: I've never failed to complete.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#49 nthurkettle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostVulcanBrainMelt, on 25 January 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

We got drinks at a bar, he said, "Want to go back to my place and play Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers on NES and watch Streets of Fire?"

Rescue Rangers NES Game:Duck Tales NES Game::This Movie:The Warriors

#50 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostCameron H., on 25 January 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

How have I been doing? My irrational, seething rage for you is the food from which I nourish myself... :)

Posted Image

#51 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

The one line in this movie that gave me pause was when Ellen Aim said to Cody, "I hate you for taking money [for rescuing me]." Based on my previously posted theory, I guess it makes sense in terms of "selling out," but in terms of the literal plot of the movie, why shouldn't he take money for rescuing her? Their split was acrimonious, she's with another man, and he seems to have moved on. Under those circumstances, if he's going to put his life on the line to rescue her, why shouldn't he be compensated for that? At least he's cares enough to do something. He could have just said, "Not my problem" and peaced the Hell out.
Ultraviolet (2006)

Lecturer: Children smoke - a reefer stick! Thinking it to be an ordinary, perfectly harmless cigarette.
Reefer Madness (2005)

#52 Cameron H.

Neil Diamond Super Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationChâteau D’If

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

View Posttaylorannephoto, on 25 January 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Ultraviolet (2006)

Reefer Madness (2005)

#53 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

View Posttaylorannephoto, on 25 January 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's only to lull you into a false sense of security so that I can more easily destroy you when the time comes.

#54 taylor anne photo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostCameron H., on 25 January 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image
You'll see the power eventually.

View PostFister Roboto, on 25 January 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

It's only to lull you into a false sense of security so that I can more easily destroy you when the time comes.

I can't tell which one of us is the true Sith lord now. Well done.

#55 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Possible Omission:

Why has no one brought up the fact that Tom basically doomed this city due to his actions, even though he beat Raven? This gang has already shown that its numbers are way more than the available number of men willing to fight in the city, and Raven has shown himself to be a poor loser. Also this gang is incredibly active at night, so my question is what's to stop them from sneaking back at night and completely massacre-ing this entire city a la Dogville, especially now that Tom and McCoy are gone?

View PostCameron H., on 25 January 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

Their split was acrimonious, she's with another man, and he seems to have moved on. Under those circumstances, if he's going to
put his life on the line to rescue her, why shouldn't he be compensated for that? At least he's cares enough to do something. He could have just said, "Not my problem" and peaced the Hell out.

That is usually what's done in most movies where they don't give a shit until money is offered, so this is at least trying to be different by Tom just going "yeah, I'll save her, but you're going to pay me" without any hesitation.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#56 DeathToMikeyBay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:54 PM

Best instance of a twerpy glasses guy playing a total asshole in an action movie since Clarence Boddicker in Robocop.

#57 nthurkettle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

Also - not sure if Blake Harris will cover this, but I believe when Rick Moranis appeared on the Nerdist podcast he indicated that when this project was pitched to him, it was right after producer Joel Silver had made enormous money with "48 Hours", and that Silver told him that this would be an action-comedy hybrid that would do the same thing for his career that "48 Hours" did for Eddie Murphy. Moranis did not indicate how much cocaine Silver was on when he claimed this.

#58 steve_a_reno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

As another poster pointed out some of the songs sounded like lost Meatloaf songs. Well at least one of them was.

Wikipedia says: "Nowhere Fast" is a song, performed by Fire Inc. in 1984 for the rock movie Streets of Fire. An alternate version of the song was recorded by Meat Loaf the same year.

Also IMDB says Kathy Griffin is one of the concert goers.

As pointed out in the pod cast the "Battery" takes a real long time to get to. When they left it really seamed like the morning with the scenes in the diner. However, they don't arrive until 10:00 PM at night. I think Ed B Jr says it 10. I know someone did in the pre-rescue scene. That is like a 12 hour trip! Can you imaging having a rival gang from another time zone. We're talking 24 hour round trip to kiss rape some girls. Is there really no place closer?

I think when Rick Moranis says later " just a couple of hours drive.." That line was just add to make up for the night/day discrepancy. But it was morning Dude.

#59 Jon Calderas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:35 PM

View Postjarrycanada, on 25 January 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

g

Diane Lane as Other Lady.
It's like Tokyo

#60 jerrycanada