🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DanEngler

Ask Paul!

Do you have questions for Paul Scheer about HDTGM, movie-related matters, or the gang's other projects? Ask them in this thread and Paul will answer them as his schedule and/or interest permits.

Ground Rules

• No "When are you covering [MOVIE] on the show?" questions.
    Voice your support for a movie in the Bad Movie Recommendations forum instead.

• No "When are you inviting [GUEST] on the show?" questions.

• No "When are you coming to [CITY NEAR ME]?" questions.
    Follow @HDTGM on Twitter for live show announcements.

• No random silly questions like the ones Paul answers during HDTGM minisodes.
    There are dedicated threads for Qs and As on the HDGTM Facebook page.

• Don't be a jerk.

• Like 6

What are your thoughts on how bald people are represented in Hollywood? For instance, the predominance of bald characters as villains/antagonists.

and who is your favorite bald Hollywood star, not named Bruce Willis?

Bonus question: Why did Andre betray his bald brethren in the League flash-forward by wearing a wig or somehow growing huge grey birdsnest/ponytail combo?

• Like 3

Bald people are threatening to the "haired" - we present them a grim look into their potential future. They might view us as villains but we are just people at peace with ourselves. So they have to attack us.

Re: Fave - Statham & The Rock...Pretty much the entire cast of the Fast & Furious Films and JK Simmons.

Re: Andre - He saw a technological advancement in hair and he took it. He's a coward.

• Like 10

Have you ever had to abandon a planned movie at the last minute for any reason (e.g. too bad, or just not right for the show)?

EDITED TO ADD: What was it?

• Like 1

Bald people are threatening to the "haired" - we present them a grim look into their potential future.

So true. I've been using this in my fantasy league all year. Balding a photo of my opponent for my team icon. It has had devastating effects. Grim look into their future indeed.

Thanks for answering. You're MY favorite bald star! (and then the Rock)

• Like 1

• What show or movie from your youth did you fantasize being a part of?
  • Is it difficult being away from your son when filming?
  • Do you find as much joy and bewilderment "bad" television as you do in "bad" movies?
  • What was your best/favourite halloween costume?
  • Have you seen the show Hoarders?

• Like 2

Cameron is always pretty good with coming up with some fun, random questions for us to chat about whenever threads are starting to die down and we're waiting for the new ep/minisode. I'm going to borrow one of those and expand a bit on it because I thought it was fun to hear everyone's answers last time.

• What was your favorite HDTGM movie to watch?
  • What was your favorite movie to discuss on the podcast?
  • Have there been any movies that almost turned off?
  • Have there been any movies where you started watching and thought "Oh shit. What are we going to talk about with this?" (either because you enjoyed the movie or because it was just boring bad instead of fun bad)
  • Aaaaand finally, not counting Nic Cage, who's your favorite HDTGM All-Star? Is there one person that you see is in a movie that gets you all amped up?

(And big thanks to Dan for getting this thread going!)

• Like 2

Re: Fave - Statham & The Rock...Pretty much the entire cast of the Fast & Furious Films and JK Simmons.

No Patrick Stewart?!

giphy.gif

I think the only question I have at the moment is what ever happened to the Green Lantern episode? The Smurf episode is pretty understandable as to why it was removed as Jayma Mills being on the League, but I can't see why the 25th favorite superhero in America no longer has an episode dedicated to him.

• Like 3

Groundhog day is coming up so I am listening to Stephen Tobolowsky on "I was there too". its the movie I've watched more than any other. at least once a year. but I always have some questions after watching it but i have been afraid to ask. maybe Paul is the man to answer them. hold on cause this could get messy:

after the scene where Phil Conners jumps off the tower we see him on a morgue table with Rita and Larry standing over him. does this mean the world continues on as normal even though Phil starts another Groundhog day?

or does the world continue until 6am and then reset?

or are there 000's of worlds out there dealing with the repercussions of Phils actions during each Groundhog day and when Phil starts a new day, is a new world is created?

does Phil just disappear from the worlds where he doesn't die during Groundhog day? does everyone just forget about him? or maybe there are now loads of phils out there thinking something else reset normal time???

does this make any sense?? typing out thoughts on time travel(ish) movies is never a good idea.

• Like 1

Hey Paul, firstly I want to say thank you for all that you do and the countless hours of joy you've brought to all our lives. Now the questions (albeit fairly standard ones)

- Is there any movie that you'd consider to be a "bad movie" that generally gets a pass or is thought of as good?

- Conversely, is there a movie that you actually think is really good but gets labeled a "bad movie"?

- Is there any bad movie out there that you just do not get the love or cult following for?

- Which HDTGM movie would you love to remake?

Are we temporarily on a Monday release schedule or will next pair come out of Fridays?

Did June see Force Awakens?

Did she like it?

Was she pleased with the answer of BB-8's mission according to the plot?

• Like 6

Hey, Paul!

I hate to be that guy that bombards you with a ton of questions, but I thought of a few others--the first of which is more "you" related than "show" related, so I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds...

1) I'm sorry if this comes off as pandering, but is there any hope for an Aliens vs Parker follow-up? If not, have you thought of doing any more creator owned comic work? I read the TPB of Aliens vs. Parker about a year ago, and loved it! You have a real knack for writing and I'd really enjoy reading more. Although, if I may be so bold, I did catch one tiny C&O worthy thing in it. Not a big deal or anything, but I thought it was funny considering it was something you've called people out for on the show. ;)

2) After an episode has been released, and you run into someone who might have been involved with a movie you've covered, how is it typically received? Has anyone ever been super pissed, or do most people take it for the good-natured fun that it is? Have you ever been surprised by someone's take on the show? Obviously, any specifics are at your discretion.

• Like 1

I completely understand why you have not yet done a non-English language film, but would you ever consider doing one? Like if it was spectacularly bad regardless of whether or not you understood the dialog.

• Like 3

Have you ever had to abandon a planned movie at the last minute for any reason (e.g. too bad, or just not right for the show)?

EDITED TO ADD: What was it?

It was that Tyler Perry Movie that we made Scott watch but we switched to Sharknado

• Like 7

I completely understand why you have not yet done a non-English language film, but would you ever consider doing one? Like if it was spectacularly bad regardless of whether or not you understood the dialog.

Hmm...That might be tough. I'm open to it but it would have to really something special

• Like 4

Hey, Paul!

I hate to be that guy that bombards you with a ton of questions, but I thought of a few others--the first of which is more "you" related than "show" related, so I hope I'm not over stepping my bounds...

NO BOUNDS OVERSTEPPED

1) I'm sorry if this comes off as pandering, but is there any hope for an Aliens vs Parker follow-up? If not, have you thought of doing any more creator owned comic work? I read the TPB of Aliens vs. Parker about a year ago, and loved it! You have a real knack for writing and I'd really enjoy reading more. Although, if I may be so bold, I did catch one tiny C&O worthy thing in it. Not a big deal or anything, but I thought it was funny considering it was something you've called people out for on the show. ;)

Whats the C&O?

Nick and I (My comic writing partner) wrote a few books for Marvel...It's been really fun. We'd love to write more independent books but right now we are focusing a new animated show for Adult Swim.

2) After an episode has been released, and you run into someone who might have been involved with a movie you've covered, how is it typically received? Has anyone ever been super pissed, or do most people take it for the good-natured fun that it is? Have you ever been surprised by someone's take on the show? Obviously, any specifics are at your discretion.

The closest call I've had with someone was the director of ALL ABOUT STEVE, he directed an episode of Fresh Off The Boat. Super great dude and I think that because our show is done with positive vibes and not aggressively snarky. We get some leeway. And mostly the people involved on "bad" movies often know it and just can't admit it publicly.

• Like 8

Paul, how do you guys choose the movies to cover on the p-cast?

P.S. Sorry to hear about your death.

Thank you for your condolences! I had a good run.

It's not a simple process, it's a lot of working with Avaryl and Nate and then a have a giant list that I try to pick from. But we are always trying to avoid just mediocre films.

• Like 6

Are we temporarily on a Monday release schedule or will next pair come out of Fridays?

Sorry, I've been slammed. I'm working on a brand new show and between going to Sundance and shooting some other shows..I've been having a hard time making deadlines. Like i've said before I'm pretty much a 1 man band. So sometimes I get swamped. I apologized.

• Like 5

Did June see Force Awakens?

Did she like it?

Was she pleased with the answer of BB-8's mission according to the plot?

She saw it and she leaned over to me during the movie and said, "I love BB8"

She was pleased with his mission after I explained it.

• Like 15

It was that Tyler Perry Movie that we made Scott watch but we switched to Sharknado

I think that was for the best, considering the Tyler Perry Alex Cross was just a total dud, though I was surprised to hear that they were considering a sequel for it.

Regarding your work with Marvel and comics in general, would you ever do like Brian Posehn did and co-write on a major series, and which one, or is there just not enough time with your schedule? Also if you could choose, which artist would you love to work with on said series?

Sorry, I've been slammed. I'm working on a brand new show and between going to Sundance and shooting some other shows..I've been having a hard time making deadlines. Like i've said before I'm pretty much a 1 man band. So sometimes I get swamped. I apologized.

No need to apologize at all, I don't want it to feel like I am hounding you at all so with the internet having no tone, if that is the way it came across I should be the one apologizing. I appreciate all of the hard work that you put into the show and it has given me nothing but pleasure the entire time it has been available. I was asking because I like to watch the movie the night before I expect the episode to drop so that it can be as fresh in my mind as possible so it was more meant to know if I should watch The Apple on Thursday night or Sunday night. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to watch it on Thursday night, and if it doesn't come out until Monday, watch it again on Sunday night.

Edit: Congratulations on the Sundance show!

That's hilarious! I didn't discover the show until a while later (actually, I think I hopped aboard sometime just after Sharknado 2 dropped), so I always just assumed that was a bit and the intention was always to do Sharknado. I guess I really missed out on just how much of an impact Sharknado had on the world at the time...

Whats the C&O?

Oh, it's so minuscule that I had to flip through my trade twice to find it (It was on the second page...). Actually, it might not even be a C&O now that I read it again.

The characters are playing a holo-game, and one of them yells, "It's a trap!" and someone responds with, "Thank you, Admiral Ackbar!" When I first read it, I have to say, I did take a second to think, "Would these guys--who live far enough into the future that interplanetary travel has become monotonous--still be making Star Wars references?" It just made me think of episodes like Pluto Nash and Barb Wire where you guys have questioned these same kinds of anachronistic references.

However, I do think I might have to withdraw my C&O anyway since, as I was flipping through, I caught a Shakespeare reference, and I thought, Well, we do still quote Shakespeare, don't we? Obviously, Paul is just placing Star Wars in its proper place next to the immortal works of The Bard.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it had you not been the writer. That probably just made me hyper aware of it.

Nick and I (My comic writing partner) wrote a few books for Marvel...It's been really fun. We'd love to write more independent books but right now we are focusing a new animated show for Adult Swim.

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to it. I missed your Deadpool issue, but I bought your Guardians Team-Up book (first floppy I've bought off the rack in about 8 years) and I thought it was really well done and a lot of fun.

• Like 1

I really appreciate what HDTGM brings to my life. Seriously. Which probably infers that I'm some shut-in whose only outside contact with the world—like TV in Room style—is podcasts. But what I really mean is: it is the perfect length for getting me through my daily run without thinking about how stupid running really is, so thank you for the welcome distraction, and for generally just being excited to talk about movies.

(I won't deviate too much from track here, but there are other "this movie is really questionable" podcasts and they are NOT enjoyable. In the least. The fun, chemistry and focus of HDTGM is unparalleled.)

To my question: I've listened to these episodes all sorts of non-chronologically, but today, I was listening to an earlier episode and really noticing some of the different segments or structural choices in earlier episodes that evolved into different choices in later episodes.

So I'm just curious to hear a little bit more about the inception and evolution of this podcast. Whose original idea was it? Do you take the idea to Earwolf, do they pitch it to you? And what would you say some of the biggest "lessons learned" have been as you've refined the end product over the years? Did you ever envision doing live shows when you started doing this, and to the stage that you do now?