#21 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

View Posttaylorannephoto, on 27 January 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Did June see Force Awakens?
Did she like it?
Was she pleased with the answer of BB-8's mission according to the plot?

She saw it and she leaned over to me during the movie and said, "I love BB8"
She was pleased with his mission after I explained it.

#22 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

It was that Tyler Perry Movie that we made Scott watch but we switched to Sharknado

I think that was for the best, considering the Tyler Perry Alex Cross was just a total dud, though I was surprised to hear that they were considering a sequel for it.

Regarding your work with Marvel and comics in general, would you ever do like Brian Posehn did and co-write on a major series, and which one, or is there just not enough time with your schedule? Also if you could choose, which artist would you love to work with on said series?
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#23 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

Sorry, I've been slammed. I'm working on a brand new show and between going to Sundance and shooting some other shows..I've been having a hard time making deadlines. Like i've said before I'm pretty much a 1 man band. So sometimes I get swamped. I apologized.

No need to apologize at all, I don't want it to feel like I am hounding you at all so with the internet having no tone, if that is the way it came across I should be the one apologizing. I appreciate all of the hard work that you put into the show and it has given me nothing but pleasure the entire time it has been available. I was asking because I like to watch the movie the night before I expect the episode to drop so that it can be as fresh in my mind as possible so it was more meant to know if I should watch The Apple on Thursday night or Sunday night. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to watch it on Thursday night, and if it doesn't come out until Monday, watch it again on Sunday night.

Edit: Congratulations on the Sundance show!
Brother

#24 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

It was that Tyler Perry Movie that we made Scott watch but we switched to Sharknado

That's hilarious! I didn't discover the show until a while later (actually, I think I hopped aboard sometime just after Sharknado 2 dropped), so I always just assumed that was a bit and the intention was always to do Sharknado. I guess I really missed out on just how much of an impact Sharknado had on the world at the time...

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Whats the C&O?

Oh, it's so minuscule that I had to flip through my trade twice to find it (It was on the second page...). Actually, it might not even be a C&O now that I read it again.

The characters are playing a holo-game, and one of them yells, "It's a trap!" and someone responds with, "Thank you, Admiral Ackbar!" When I first read it, I have to say, I did take a second to think, "Would these guys--who live far enough into the future that interplanetary travel has become monotonous--still be making Star Wars references?" It just made me think of episodes like Pluto Nash and Barb Wire where you guys have questioned these same kinds of anachronistic references.

However, I do think I might have to withdraw my C&O anyway since, as I was flipping through, I caught a Shakespeare reference, and I thought, Well, we do still quote Shakespeare, don't we? Obviously, Paul is just placing Star Wars in its proper place next to the immortal works of The Bard.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it had you not been the writer. That probably just made me hyper aware of it.

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

Nick and I (My comic writing partner) wrote a few books for Marvel...It's been really fun. We'd love to write more independent books but right now we are focusing a new animated show for Adult Swim.

That sounds great! I'm looking forward to it. I missed your Deadpool issue, but I bought your Guardians Team-Up book (first floppy I've bought off the rack in about 8 years) and I thought it was really well done and a lot of fun.
Walker: Hey, I know all the good words.

Timecop (1994)

Sheila E.: Sheila E's my name, Holly Rock's my game...

Krush Groove (1985)

#25 Reptarftw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I really appreciate what HDTGM brings to my life. Seriously. Which probably infers that I'm some shut-in whose only outside contact with the world—like TV in Room style—is podcasts. But what I really mean is: it is the perfect length for getting me through my daily run without thinking about how stupid running really is, so thank you for the welcome distraction, and for generally just being excited to talk about movies.

(I won't deviate too much from track here, but there are other "this movie is really questionable" podcasts and they are NOT enjoyable. In the least. The fun, chemistry and focus of HDTGM is unparalleled.)

To my question: I've listened to these episodes all sorts of non-chronologically, but today, I was listening to an earlier episode and really noticing some of the different segments or structural choices in earlier episodes that evolved into different choices in later episodes.

So I'm just curious to hear a little bit more about the inception and evolution of this podcast. Whose original idea was it? Do you take the idea to Earwolf, do they pitch it to you? And what would you say some of the biggest "lessons learned" have been as you've refined the end product over the years? Did you ever envision doing live shows when you started doing this, and to the stage that you do now?

#26 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:22 PM

There's a documentary called Room Full of Spoons all about The Room and revealing some of the mystery behind Tommy Wiseau. It's premiering in Madrid this weekend. There's a really interesting article on HuffPo about it:

http://www.huffingto...4b0d8cc1098fdb8

My question is: do you think it's possible to delve "too far" into these bad movies? Like, is there a point where it just kind of ruins the fun? Have there been any movies yet where you've gone too far down the rabbit hole and then been like, "Well, that was kind of disappointing to find out"?
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#27 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

Hey Paul,

Happy (belated) Birthday!

Posted Image

I hope June and your son did right by you!

Two questions:

1) What did you get?
2) You share the same birthday as my father, are you--or have you ever been--my father?

Sincerely though, I hope you had a wonderful day!
Walker: Hey, I know all the good words.

Timecop (1994)

Sheila E.: Sheila E's my name, Holly Rock's my game...

Krush Groove (1985)

#28 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 06:04 PM, said:

She saw it and she leaned over to me during the movie and said, "I love BB8"
She was pleased with his mission after I explained it.

This makes me incredibly happy, thank you!

Posted Image

#29 Slayner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:15 AM

Hey Paul! Listened to today's minisode and heard you say you'd like to do a reddit ama. I moderate the Earwolf subreddit, and would love to have you do an AMA on there!

You can either tweet me @Leprechaun_Leon or message me on here for more details, but we can absolutely do one on there.

Contact me if you're interested Paul! We'd love to have you on there!

#30 Willis von Werner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Question sent to HDTGM fbook ... sorry.

#31 joel_rosenbaum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:38 AM

Paul,

Personal question here. How do you and June maintain your work-life balance? I imagine that acting and comedy calls for a lot of unconventional scheduling, and that can be difficult with a new kid in the mix.

On a related note, do you guys use a daycare? Is it awkward running into other parents who recognize you from TV/movies?

#32 Maximiliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hello Paul!

A few episodes back someone said that the unaired "Old Dogs" Pilot episode with Scott Aukerman as Guest was going to drop soon... Did I miss it or is it going to be available via Howl???

Thank you for your time and I hope this message finds you well!

#33 Blood Moonbeam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Paul, do you write the copy for the sponsors or do they send you copy?

#34 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:25 PM

What would you and June do if your son grew up to be a Pluto Nash enthusiast?

#35 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostElektra Boogaloo, on 21 February 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

What would you and June do if your son grew up to be a Pluto Nash enthusiast?

I'd know definitely that Eddie Murphy slept with June.

#36 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostBlood Moonbeam, on 12 February 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

Paul, do you write the copy for the sponsors or do they send you copy?

They tell me the lines I have to say like the "call to action" but for the most part depending on the company, I can do whatever I want. I have been told not to invoke murderering someone in an ad read.

#37 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ, on 10 February 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Hello Paul!

A few episodes back someone said that the unaired "Old Dogs" Pilot episode with Scott Aukerman as Guest was going to drop soon... Did I miss it or is it going to be available via Howl???

Thank you for your time and I hope this message finds you well!

I'll ask about that.

#38 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:08 PM

View Postjoel_rosenbaum, on 03 February 2016 - 04:38 AM, said:

Paul,

Personal question here. How do you and June maintain your work-life balance? I imagine that acting and comedy calls for a lot of unconventional scheduling, and that can be difficult with a new kid in the mix.

Yup. We have some amazing help!

On a related note, do you guys use a daycare? Is it awkward running into other parents who recognize you from TV/movies?

We don't Day Care but we will Pre-School...I normally wear a Ronald Reagan mask so it's fine.

#39 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

View PostCameron H., on 01 February 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

Hey Paul,

Happy (belated) Birthday!

Posted Image

I hope June and your son did right by you!

Two questions:

1) What did you get?

I got an awesome party that June threw me.

View PostCameron H., on 01 February 2016 - 07:17 AM, said:

2) You share the same birthday as my father, are you--or have you ever been--my father?

Yes and Please come home Son

#40 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

View PostFister Roboto, on 30 January 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

There's a documentary called Room Full of Spoons all about The Room and revealing some of the mystery behind Tommy Wiseau. It's premiering in Madrid this weekend. There's a really interesting article on HuffPo about it:

http://www.huffingto...4b0d8cc1098fdb8

My question is: do you think it's possible to delve "too far" into these bad movies? Like, is there a point where it just kind of ruins the fun? Have there been any movies yet where you've gone too far down the rabbit hole and then been like, "Well, that was kind of disappointing to find out"?

As someone who is in the James Franco "The Room" movie, the more I know the better it gets!