126 replies to this topic

#41 souprman

famously not scared

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

Hey Paul!

I'm wondering if you've checked out Tommy Wiseau's sit-com "The Neighbors"? It's on HULU and it is just as batshit crazy as "The Room" maybe more so. Tommy seems to be creating this from a new-found position of self-awareness(?) which adds another layer of bananas to the whole affair. The continuation of scene transitions generated from the phrase "I gotta go" with no quaifier continues and the phrase "what a day" is used to button scenes without resolution. It's truly awesome.

Even though it's a 6 ep series, probably too long for a single HDTGM, I think the 32 minute first ep would generate an amazing discussion with you, Zouks, & June. I'd love to hear you guys riff on this madness.

Cheers.

#42 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

View Post-x-, on 28 February 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Hey Paul!

I'm wondering if you've checked out Tommy Wiseau's sit-com "The Neighbors"? It's on HULU and it is just as batshit crazy as "The Room" maybe more so. Tommy seems to be creating this from a new-found position of self-awareness(?) which adds another layer of bananas to the whole affair. The continuation of scene transitions generated from the phrase "I gotta go" with no quaifier continues and the phrase "what a day" is used to button scenes without resolution. It's truly awesome.

Even though it's a 6 ep series, probably too long for a single HDTGM, I think the 32 minute first ep would generate an amazing discussion with you, Zouks, & June. I'd love to hear you guys riff on this madness.

Cheers.

I'm not Paul, but I wanted to add that I went to a screening of The Room that was preceded by a Q&A with Tommy Wiseau and a screening of the first episode of The Neighbors. I felt bad because he was so proud of it, but the only part everyone liked was the catchy musical interlude during establishing shots of apartment complex. Fortunately, that comes up about every 45 seconds.
"Fuck this fucking movie!" -Cameron H

#43 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

I have the Neighbors on DVD and am shocked by how much it makes The Room look like Citizen Kane. I honestly think that this show is basically all of the other apartments that we didn't see in The Room and the various side stories that Tommy couldn't figure out how to squeeze into the movie.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#44 rybot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

Where do I find out what movies will be talked about at the live shows? I want to be prepared.

#45 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

View Postrybot, on 02 March 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

Where do I find out what movies will be talked about at the live shows? I want to be prepared.

Paul usually mentions it when he talks about live shows in the minisodes. Otherwise, they often post it on Facebook or Twitter.

#46 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

i ask this as a man whos hair is retreating towards the rear of his head at an alarming rate:

a good few years ago my dad cut half his baby finger off when he was cutting a neighbours hedge but even to this day he claims he sometimes gets a "phantom itch" and can feel the missing finger tip. is this the same with hair. do bald people sometimes feel like their now missing hair is getting onto their face? ... i only ask cause....

Posted Image

sorry .. now for the serious question. when you were on the Pardcast-a-Thon, which was hilarious, was that all improv? i really enjoyed it but i have no idea how ye do it.

#47 Bernard Shakey

Bernard Shakey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:42 AM

Congratulations Paul and June on baby #2 on the way!
You two are the best.

#48 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

View Postfirsttimecallerlongtimelistenr, on 06 March 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

i ask this as a man whos hair is retreating towards the rear of his head at an alarming rate:

a good few years ago my dad cut half his baby finger off when he was cutting a neighbours hedge but even to this day he claims he sometimes gets a "phantom itch" and can feel the missing finger tip. is this the same with hair. do bald people sometimes feel like their now missing hair is getting onto their face? ... i only ask cause....

Posted Image

sorry .. now for the serious question. when you were on the Pardcast-a-Thon, which was hilarious, was that all improv? i really enjoyed it but i have no idea how ye do it.

Bald people can still scratch their head or gesticulate -- which is what I believe that GIF is showing and Yes that was all made up -

#49 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostFister Roboto, on 28 February 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

I'm not Paul, but I wanted to add that I went to a screening of The Room that was preceded by a Q&A with Tommy Wiseau and a screening of the first episode of The Neighbors. I felt bad because he was so proud of it, but the only part everyone liked was the catchy musical interlude during establishing shots of apartment complex. Fortunately, that comes up about every 45 seconds.

Honestly I can't bear the the neighbors -- He was in on the joke at that point. The Room is perfect because he thought he was doing something very different than what he made and I'd argue that is why it is great, just like Birdemic

#50 Paul Scheer

HDTGM Host

• Host
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ, on 10 February 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Hello Paul!

A few episodes back someone said that the unaired "Old Dogs" Pilot episode with Scott Aukerman as Guest was going to drop soon... Did I miss it or is it going to be available via Howl???

Thank you for your time and I hope this message finds you well!

No one can find it. We looked hard for it

#51 Fister Roboto

#likesanimals

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostPaul Scheer, on 17 March 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Honestly I can't bear the the neighbors -- He was in on the joke at that point. The Room is perfect because he thought he was doing something very different than what he made and I'd argue that is why it is great, just like Birdemic

I totally agree, but I also feel the same way about Sharknado.

#52 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

From the various books that I've read on The Room, the screenplay was originally a book by Tommy, so I almost have to assume that it's the stuff that he had to cut, also the DVD is like that room where the sound level is negative 9 decibels and causes people to go crazy after extended periods of time inside it, as the intervals between bits as I really can't tell when one episode begins or ends, are filled with random gif images like if the director of Birdemic edited it together. Here is the only place I could find it online that shows how crazy it is.

Speaking of Birdemic, the director there fell into the same hole Tommy Wiseau did by completely trying to play into what inadvertently made his previous film work. It was so on the nose and winking at the camera that it was just flat our terrible, not funny terrible.

Also a quick question Paul, I know the whole crew is basically working on the Disaster Artist (congrats and when does it come out by the way?) so maybe you can answer this question. What do you know about the giant statue of pants hanging off the side of a building in front of a giant poster of The Room in San Francisco? This is across the street from a parking structure near Fisherman's Wharf. I was thinking it was the building Tommy used to own and run a pants warehouse out of but I can find no information for it online.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#53 Maximiliano

Ⓜⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

View PostⓂⓐⓧⓘⓜⓘⓛⓘⓐⓝⓞ, on 10 February 2016 - 02:02 PM, said:

Hello Paul!

A few episodes back someone said that the unaired "Old Dogs" Pilot episode with Scott Aukerman as Guest was going to drop soon... Did I miss it or is it going to be available via Howl???

Thank you for your time and I hope this message finds you well!

No one can find it. We looked hard for it

No biggie... but I bet Engineer "Cody" Cody knows where it is because He found the CBB episode 274 Part2 (275) Now episode 300... Or maybe the episode is in the same place as the now found HDTGM "Mr. Nanny" Live! episode ;)

Thank you for responding twice!!! :D

#54 firsttimecallerlongtimelistenr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

this is more of a question about june but maybe paul can answer

i think we all love how june forgets all these movies but i was wondering, does she forget them after a certain time frame or is it only after she speaks about them on the podcast? is the podcast a way of purging the memories of the movies from her brain?

i ask cause if she saw bloodsport but never got to talk about it does that mean she will always remember it? not that anyone will be forgetting JCVD's buns anytime soon. ive seen them way too many times this week

#55 HumanBean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

Have you guys ever had any backlash, or awkward encounters, with any of the people involved in one of the movies you've done? I can't imagine bumping into the Hulkster would be pleasant.

#56 Cameron H.

This Charming Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • LocationMy Mighty Lab

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostNealPhilly, on 29 March 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Have you guys ever had any backlash, or awkward encounters, with any of the people involved in one of the movies you've done? I can't imagine bumping into the Hulkster would be pleasant.

View PostCameron H., on 27 January 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

2) After an episode has been released, and you run into someone who might have been involved with a movie you've covered, how is it typically received? Has anyone ever been super pissed, or do most people take it for the good-natured fun that it is? Have you ever been surprised by someone's take on the show? Obviously, any specifics are at your discretion.

View PostPaul Scheer, on 28 January 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

The closest call I've had with someone was the director of ALL ABOUT STEVE, he directed an episode of Fresh Off The Boat. Super great dude and I think that because our show is done with positive vibes and not aggressively snarky. We get some leeway. And mostly the people involved on "bad" movies often know it and just can't admit it publicly.

Neal, I hope this answers your question. :)
Billy: Jake! Jake! Jamieeeeeeeeeee!

The Wraith (1986)

Emcee: Oh, that's wicked! That's sooooooo wicked!

That Thing You Do! (1996)

#57 MarcNado

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:03 AM

Today I was talking to a friend and miss heard what they said and thought they said Hulk Hogan instead of Paul Hogan.
This got me thinking as In the past you used to do would this film be better with Nic cage in it, well do you think Crocodile Dundee woudl have been better with Hulk Hogan instead of Paul Hogan, it certainly woudl have been one hell of a different movie

#58 NundercoverBrother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSucker Free

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

Is there a movie that the group would like to re examine, or feel that they didnt go deep enough into?

#59 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

Can you tell us some more tales of working at Blockbuster??

#60 taylor anne photo

A Most Peculiar Mademoiselle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • LocationDeep in the heart of Texas

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

Is there a movie that's really critically acclaimed that the three of y'all just don't like and would love to do on the podcast? For example, I didn't really care for Crash and then it goes and wins Best Picture at the Oscars! (Over the clearly superior Brokeback Mountain... I'm not bitter at all...)