🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 129 - The Apple: LIVE!

Did anyone else feel that the main Bim song was the inspiration for the character of Dennis on It's Always Sunny in Philadephia's Bird's of War song? It is sung in the exact same harmony, cadence, and style as the Bim song??? I cannot be the only one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntkekOFl5GY

Not to mention that the baby at the end of the movie was practically a full grown adult.

• Like 1

For comparisons sake, I went ahead and looked up what the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1994.

The Top 10 were:

1) Ace of Base--"The Sign"

2) All-4-One--"I Swear"

3) Boys II Men--"I'll Make Love to You"

4) Celine Dion--"The Power of Love" (I'm assuming this is not her cover of Huey Lewis and the News)

5) Mariah Carey--"Hero"

6) Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories--"Stay (I Miss You)

7) Toni Braxton--"Breathe Again"

8) Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Sting--"All for Love"

9) Ace of Base--"All That She Wants"

10) Ace of Base--"Don't Turn Around"

Jesus Christ! What a steaming pile of crap! In hindsight, it kind of makes me wish we had all been doing the BIM instead.

Or, wait a second, maybe it did happen and we just weren't chosen...

YdwQHxQ.gif

Dammit, Mr. Topps!! Come back for the rest of us!!!

• Like 5

For comparisons sake, I went ahead and looked up what the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles of 1994.

The Top 10 were:

2) All-4-One--"I Swear"

4) Celine Dion--"The Power of Love" (I'm assuming this is not her cover of Huey Lewis and the News)

5) Mariah Carey--"Hero"

Jesus Christ! What a steaming pile of crap! In hindsight, it kind of makes me wish we had all been doing the BIM instead.

The fuck are you trying to say about Ace of Base?

• Like 6

The fuck are you trying to say about Ace of Base?

My question exactly!

tumblr_mhhkvpoO9w1r0lc86o4_250.gif

That link doesn't work so I'll assume it's about how amazing that album was.

• Like 5

Which is why I need Bowie as Boogalow and keeping Fister's recommendations of DLR and Grace Jones.

Also this depends on if Grace can sing because I'm not sure if I ever have heard her do so.

Grace can sing and dance, but it's probably really not in the style you'd expect. Like I was expecting a HI-NRG thing, but her style is much slower and chill like go-go/smooth disco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THt7o6dzMuw

• Like 2

The Top 10 were:

2) All-4-One--"I Swear"

5) Mariah Carey--"Hero"

Or, wait a second, maybe it did happen and we just weren't chosen...

YdwQHxQ.gif

Dammit, Mr. Topps!! Come back for the rest of us!!!

I think it's from the album that followed the one that all of their '94 hits came off, but I'm upset that THIS isn't the Ace of Base song that became permanently ingrained in everyone's head. It is a fucking delight...

• Like 2

I...I...had no idea people felt so dearly about Ace of Base...

tumblr_m528ywsnML1qizfmwo3_250.gif

Can we all at least agree that "Stay" is horrible?

• Like 2

Can we all at least agree that "Stay" is horrible?

I used to think so back when it was played 30 million times a day, but it's since grown on me. I always liked the follow-up single a lot more, as well as some of her other stuff. I'm sure it has nothing to do with half the girls I ever dated looking pretty much just like this. Nope, that can't possibly influence it at all...

• Like 4

So much coming back from my mid-90s teen years, but mostly my crushes on the young songstresses of the time. The chicks in Ace of Base, Lisa Loeb, the singer from Letters to Cleo, Juliana Hatfield before she started looking more like a skeleton, whatshername from Veruca Salt! LIZ PHAIR! SO many!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrxoi0UwfdU

This is legit one of my favorite songs ever.

I used to think so back when it was played 30 million times a day, but it's since grown on me. I always liked the follow-up single a lot more, as well as some of her other stuff. I'm sure it has nothing to do with half the girls I ever dated looking pretty much just like this. Nope, that can't possibly influence it at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ca62l_X8M

I'm only hearing negative.....no no no!

tumblr_ndgzuf4EUo1qzx1gjo5_500.gif

• Like 4

Are we finding out that Cameron H has terrible judgement on 90s music?

Next you're gonna tell me you hate Torn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo

The number of times this song has come up in discussions I've been a part of over the last couple months is frankly a little disturbing.

• Like 2

Are we finding out that Cameron H has terrible judgement on 90s music?

nZVjeZ8.jpg

Next you're gonna tell me you hate Torn

Taylor Anne--you can't honestly tell me you think "Torn" is a good song? Like, something you would intentionally seek out for any reason? Tell me: How does it speak to you?

• Like 2

The number of times this song has come up in discussions I've been a part of over the last couple months is frankly a little disturbing.

Have you just been finding yourself cold, shamed and laying naked on the floor? More than usual, I mean.

• Like 4

nZVjeZ8.jpg

Taylor Anne--you can't honestly tell me you think "Torn" is a good song? Like, something you would intentionally seek out for any reason? Tell me: How does it speak to you?

ab1fb9f6d049ce80ea33926597fe9d35.gif

I seek it out intentionally when I have an intense feeling of nostalgia. It's not a great song... but I do enjoy it...

• Like 4

I seek it out intentionally when I have an intense feeling of nostalgia. It's not a great song... but I do enjoy it...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Have you just been finding yourself cold, shamed and laying naked on the floor? More than usual, I mean.

What can I say? I'm all out of faith.

• Like 4

What the heck. According to imdb, this was nominated for a Gold Hugo for best feature in 1980. It somehow lost to a movie called Camera Buff.

Grace can sing and dance, but it's probably really not in the style you'd expect. Like I was expecting a HI-NRG thing, but her style is much slower and chill like go-go/smooth disco.

I love Grace Jones and I own her only album. " Island Life"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYkVtz6ozJE

she also does a kick ass cover of "

" but nothing stands up next to "
" or "
" I kid with those two tracks. but other then those two, it's a rock solid album ;)

There is nothing wrong with Ace of Base, Cameron H. shame on you. I have a good cover of that from coverville

that I listen to all of the time. I'll check my iphone and get back to you on that.

Really love coverville, guys should check it out. it's fun to blind listen to it and then hear a song you know but can't figure out who it's originally by right away.

• Like 3

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to mention that I do own the soundtrack on vinyl and if you guys are interested I have a link to the mp3s here.

https://app.box.com/s/c2awgt2o0jj29kvk79ae

I got a request on the Q and A's post on Facebook so I needed to share the wealth.

This has the unreleased song Creation (which is heard a little bit at the end), an extra verse in Child of Love which is about their rapidly growing 1 year old, I found me is a Bibi-less version and it's all Pandy, and to top it all off Coming has SLIGHTLY different lyrics then what's in the movie.

ENJOY!

• Like 4

Does anyone else get a sense of irrational excitement from the from prospect of a new HDTGM episode coming up and not having a clue of what it might be?

excited-baby.gif

I enjoy the live episodes, but we always know what they're going to be weeks in advance. And, for the most part, once one has been released, you know the second is going to follow shortly after. But I have to say, there's something about the anticipation of what movie will be next, and eagerly waiting for that mini-ep to drop to find out what it will be, that I find genuinely appealing.

As an adult, it's probably the closest thing to that feeling I had as a child on Christmas morning. Which is all to say, I love this show, and perhaps, my life's a little sad...but only just a little.

• Like 8