🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 130 - Teen Witch

With all the discussion of chairs, nobody's mentioned how Brad hears Louise give two completely different and contradictory explanations of where the chairs in her room went — that they are "being reupholstered" and that "I moved them so I could exercise" — without getting suspicious or even noticing that they don't add up.

• Like 2

Two things regarding her outfit to the first dance. First of all--I have to say--washed out, puke green is nobody’s favorite color. And secondly, if she was just going to change into her crazy tutu and novelty sunglasses at the dance, why even bother complaining to her father about her clothes? She’s nothing but a goddamn drama queen!

AAAAAAND!!! Oh! Oh! Oh!

At the play, she tells the lead actress to “break a leg,” crazy magic ensues, and the poor girl prompty breaks her leg—allowing Louise to take the lead. Correct me if I’m wrong, but couldn’t she have just gone over to the girl and said, “No, I think your leg’s just fine?” At the very least she could have dumped a glass of water on the poor girl.

God! Luis Guzman is a real piece of shit!

• Like 4

Great episode! My only gripe is that we didn't get any "June theories". I was hoping Deanna would take up the family torch but it was not meant to be...

When Hats called that guy "funky", I winced. To me, funky is akin to moist or juicy. The word just makes me cringe.

And not to bring up the last minisode issue again but...

FYI Robin lively (who plays Louise) was only 17 when this movie was released, while Dan Gauthier (who plays Brad) was 26...this makes the final make out scene even more disturbing.

In an interview with Buzzfeed, Robyn said the following about the dance routines...

“I took all the dancing too seriously at the time. I was a little more self-conscious back then. And when I had to do the ‘most popular girl’ spin inside the bedroom, I had twisted my ankle. I’m going to blame most of my bad dancing on the ankle.”

Robyn Lively’s younger sister, Blake, was a huge Teen Witch fan. So at Blake Lively and Ryan Reynold’s wedding, Robyn and her brother re-enacted the last dance scene.

Robyn is on record saying, "I got a blue dress, a blue tutu, and the music comes on. I had the necklace remade. I took it off and threw it to her. We did the whole dance!”

The first is BertramCooper's, the second is from the article I posted, and the third is literally what I said. Am I being really sensitive to this stuff now? Because I'd like to know what the line is between mini-episode conversations and regular episodes in terms of repeating information.

You know what June's point about the "Condom, condom" scene probably originally having a musical number that was too similar to "

" made me think about? The "High School Blues" thing is pretty similar to "Back to School" thematically. I just rewatched both. In "High School Blues", Luiz Guzman's locker appears to be different from all the other lockers in its row? At least the lock is in a different place.

Also, omfg, when are we going to talk about Grease 2?

• Like 1

I totally agree with you with the water, but it is actually (sort of) addressed, at least through Serena's implication. Basically, while her powers are weak and new, water will reverse it, but as she grows in her power, water will no longer have an affect on her spells. It took me a while to get that line, and I can't find a script online to confirm it, but I do believe it is in there.

Here it is:

f3dH3tI.png

NHlcNTM.png

• Like 3

Surprised that no one in the podcast brought up Louise and Brad's high school's unflinching rallying behind the person designated at "Most Popular Girl" - throes of people waiting outside Louise's house waiting for her to show her face like she's Taylor Swift? Signs all over the school with her name and hearts? Louise walking around school with lines of people following her everywhere? It's like she's running for Student body president....all the time. I get that being popular is a burden, but they probably could have hit that one home without all of that. But then again, the montages with her walking around the school and flipping her hair were so amazing that it was worth the effort.

• Like 1

Here it is:

f3dH3tI.png

NHlcNTM.png

Thank you, Joel! I really do like to be able to provide evidence for my assertions.

Thank you, Joel! I really do like to be able to provide evidence for my assertions.

Okay yes that's the scene I was mentioning in my first water point BUT the way she delivers that line doesn't lead me to believe that because her powers are weak is the reason that water reverses them. She literally tells Luis Guzman that she didn't do anything to reverse them because her powers are weak and they'll eventually wear off, but then immediately states that water can reverse her spells in the next sentence.

It's just poor sentence structure there. If she wanted to fully explain all she would have to do is say, "Oh because your power are new and weaker the water acts as a reversal. They'll get stronger." BOOM I just explained that 100% better.

• Like 1

Again back to the water cancelling spells thing ... and maybe someone else pointed this out but I didn't see it...

So the whole voodoo doll thing on Mr. Weaver... Shouldn't throwing the voodoo doll in the washing machine break the spell... if not by that then perhaps when Mr. Weaver first gets hit with water from the car wash at least, prompting him to turn the hell around? Instead he strolls right through that mess like that's how he normally bathes himself and insists on tipping the guy for the wax.. WTF

• Like 2

Great episode! My only gripe is that we didn't get any "June theories". I was hoping Deanna would take up the family torch but it was not meant to be...

When Hats called that guy "funky", I winced. To me, funky is akin to moist or juicy. The word just makes me cringe.

And not to bring up the last minisode issue again but...

The first is BertramCooper's, the second is from the article I posted, and the third is literally what I said. Am I being really sensitive to this stuff now? Because I'd like to know what the line is between mini-episode conversations and regular episodes in terms of repeating information.

I have never looked at nor posted on mini-episode... so yeah I think you may be a bit sensitive.

After David gets incinerated, Louise takes off to Madame Serena’s house.

En route to it, the ADR dialogue is amazing. Nothing Louise is saying is necessary nor critical to the film. We totally get the concern she is feeling based on what just happened. She’s freaked the fuck out and yet this onslaught of dialogue takes place...

“What am I gonna do? How do I get him back? I don’t know what to do.

Madame Serena. Madame Serena will know what to do.

Oh, what if mom finds out? She’ll kill me.

Oh no. It looks like she’s home now. Serena, Serena, you’re not gonna believe this. Please be there, Serena.

Open up, hello! Hello! Oh no, she’s closed."

Here's what I do not get... She has a the car, yeah I get that she's not a great driver and all that and probably too young to have a license but she ditches the car at her house to pick up her bike to ride that to Madame Serena's. If its close enough for a bike ride.. just take the damn car there.

Obviously, there were a lot of lines in this movie that just don't make any sense, but personally, my two favorites (which I'll write to the best of my memory) are:

1) The drama teacher to Lousie: "I'm going on sabbatical--don't tell anyone!" Um...you can't just take a sabbatical and not tell anyone. What you're talking about is job abandonment.

2) Louise to Brad outside the first dance: "Did you know the closest star is four light years away? That means, if you were to wish on it, it would take eight years for it to come true." Is this movie saying that wishes obey the laws of physics? So, just in case anyone was wondering: wishes are real, measurable, and apparently, travel at the speed of light.

• Like 4

Omg Cameron if we're gonna talk about favorite lines then I'm gonna throw in some gems!

1. "One day we'll be the seniors." OKAY COOL HATS THANKS FOR THAT BRILLIANT PIECE OF INFORMATION THERE

2. "I have a little brother I know about men." I am not sure I want to know how that makes her an expert on men...

• Like 3

Ms Guzman's English teacher was one of those guys who aspired to be a college professor but was only good enough to be a high school teacher. He was taking out his feelings on failure on the kids and was probably jealous of Ms Guzman's intelligence.

• Like 2

Omg Cameron if we're gonna talk about favorite lines then I'm gonna throw in some gems!

1. "One day we'll be the seniors." OKAY COOL HATS THANKS FOR THAT BRILLIANT PIECE OF INFORMATION THERE

2. "I have a little brother I know about men." I am not sure I want to know how that makes her an expert on men...

How about this one?

Louise, president of the Latin club, is mumbling Latin in the locker room.

Polly: "What are you doing?"

Louise: :"Oh, it's this new U2 song--it's an import."

Wouldn't the better lie be, "Oh, I was just practicing some Latin pronunciations..?"

Christ! This movie is dumb!

tumblr_inline_mqoy4cq9SM1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1

I have never looked at nor posted on mini-episode... so yeah I think you may be a bit sensitive.

How do you aim to move conversation forward by repeating previously stated points though? I think it's counterproductive to not review what others have said.

How do you aim to move conversation forward by repeating previously stated points though? I think it's counterproductive to not review what others have said.

This is a forum about horrible films and not ways to create peace on earth... so not sure what conversation needs to move "forward." Also I have more important things in life then to read ever single post by every single person in every single forum. That's my two cents and I'm moving on.

1) The drama teacher to Lousie: "I'm going on sabbatical--don't tell anyone!" Um...you can't just take a sabbatical and not tell anyone. What you're talking about is job abandonment.

Speaking of this... how long is this school year anyway? The drama teacher has managed to have "done Europe twice already" and moved on to Aruba since starting her sabbatical.

• Like 1

So happy I watched this one. Great ep and great guest. Now then.

1) I was really surprised no one pointed this out, since it was in the trailer--what is up with the way she pronounces U2 in "It's the new U2 song"? She puts the emphasis on the U, like some old people say "TV"! Is that how people pronounced U2 in the 80s? Please say yes.

2) Re: Cameron H pointing out the implied cheerleaders' sexualities -- I'm pretty sure they were all desperately repressing their latent homosexuality. Running around with terrifying fake grins and screaming "I LIKE BOYS!" is the only way these young women can keep from constantly making out with each other.

3) Sorry if I missed something, but I don't think Guzman and Hats ever made up at the end. They're just, um, not firends anymore I guess? I mean, Hats gets to dance with her white rapper in a song that inexplicably lasts about 45 seconds...unclear if that has anything to do with Guzman...but the girls never speak again. I guess it goes along with the overall moral, that being popular is the only thing that's important and anyone who isn't can GTFO.

• Like 3

2) Re: Cameron H pointing out the implied cheerleaders' sexualities -- I'm pretty sure they were all desperately repressing their latent homosexuality. Running around with terrifying fake grins and screaming "I LIKE BOYS!" is the only way these young women can keep from constantly making out with each other.

To be fair, Taylor Anne made that claim. I was arguing that homosexuality is a myth and Taylor Anne should stop kidding herself ;)

• Like 4

To be fair, Taylor Anne made that claim. I was arguing that homosexuality is a myth and Taylor Anne should stop kidding herself ;)

Damn straight I made that claim!

Also if it's a myth and I'm considered a myth within the myth (even in the LGBTQ community the B and the Q are sometimes considered not real) does that make me the ultimate unicorn?

• Like 2