🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 2 - Passport, Exodus

An ex-Orthodox Jew answers Chris’s pressing questions about Kosher law, particularly as it relates to drinking wine and eating insects. He also reveals a clever passport hack.

Great episode, Chris and anonymous. It was a very insightful look into the multiple facets of faith and religion, with great stories from both parties.

• Like 6

This epp was better then the last. Being from NY, I have had about the same understanding and view on this religion as Chris.

Keep it up!

• Like 1

This epp was better then the last.

Totally agree. I liked the first one, but this was really outstanding. Judging by the number of comments, a lot more people listened to #1 (probably because it was #1 and was in the I4H feed), which is a shame.

• Like 2

Listened to both episodes. Great show! I wonder how many calls Chris has that don't end up on the podcast.

I listened to all three episodes today, and this was my favorite. Like Luke said, fascinating from start to finish.

Given the high bar Chris has already established, however, I am dreading an episode with the rapping idiot featured in every B/A promo.

• Like 3

I listened to all three episodes today, and this was my favorite. Like Luke said, fascinating from start to finish.

Given the high bar Chris has already established, however, I am dreading an episode with the rapping idiot featured in every B/A promo.

You didn't think he was funniest. Person in the whole word?

So, these are obviously "origin stories" of people he knows, right? As good as Gethard may be at empathizing with/ creating an arc for these callers, it feels a little too clean, tidy & polished for these to truly be anonymous, random (spontaneous?) calls, especially considering the after-school special ending from episode 1. Two hours in, & I can hardly remember an instance of anyone talking over each other.

Maybe that's supposed to be obvious to everyone except me, but the logistics of the true, "reality" angle of this show just don't add up. Even if he had a staff of people listening to every last minute of voicemails, & chris was selectively calling the most interesting ones back; & even if, after that, he stayed true to the idea of surrendering an hour of his time--in real-time-- to sculpting the call into a listenable hour, that's still an incredible amount of man-hours for a free show, & that means episode 23 will actually be from March 30, 2016, & the conversations lose some of their legit "reality" by no longer being as current.

Or it could be a beautifully-packaged commentary on the insane waste of time involved in trolling & internet bullying, which would really speak to the "Beautiful" in the title, in which case I'll shut up & for sure keep listening to this non-hilarious, though engrossing comedy podcast.

I don't know any of these people (to my knowledge) and the calls happen in real time. We don't take voice mails and call people back - I sit in the studio and we tweet it out and when the phone rings, John tells them not to tell me their name and patches them through to me.

Sorry to contradict, dischargingfoul, but I'm just doing it up.

The only thing you are on target about is that they may lose their totally current feel - because of the production schedule of The Chris Gethard Show, we banked somewhere like 12-15 before launching to make sure I don't miss any weeks while working on the tv gig.

Thanks for listening and I'm glad people are digging this one!

Geth

• Like 6

Appreciative of the response, Chris; thanks for shedding a little more clarity on the production end of the podcast (I was unaware you use twitter to "open the lines"). I should've been more clear that by "people he knows", I meant "stars" (or if not the stars themselves, people whose "selected" stories/backgrounds were near-identical stories to to theirs), & that the season-ending reveal was going to be that even the down-on-their luck common folk who call in could still have a renaissance to realizing whatever their dreams are. I guess in the end, it doesn't matter whether that would be scripted or not, but I take your word for it that the call-ins are livewire. This is a genre unlike any other podcast.

Sign in to follow this