🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: Batman (1989) vs. Superman (1978)

Tim Burton's Batman is streaming on Netflix.

Richard Donner's Superman is available for digital rental.

• Like 5

Just wanted to remind people of a great resource for DVDs and maybe Blu-Rays: your local library. They're a totally free and legitimate way to get your hands on almost anything discussed on The Canon.

I've probably made this shill for those book-peddling sons of bitches before, but not on this new forum. Going to pick up Superman on Blu-Ray in just a few!

• Like 3

Good thing I very very recently just got the Superman The Movie (1978) and Superman II DVDs from Netflix and watched them with my son. I like Donner's Superman so much more than that awful Man of Steel. Not sure how I'll vote since it's up against Batman. So, half my homework done.

Superman smashes Tim Burton's Batman.

A lot of fun, historically important special effects and wonderfully 70's. Superman 2 is a bit garbage though.

Burton's Batman is designed well- but go to literally any other Burton film for that. (And I would want at least A Burton film - possibly Ed Wood or Sweeney Todd). You know what? It's quite boring as well.

Great theme though

Great picks. I've seen Burton's Batman plenty of times (as all of us have, for sure), so I opted to watch it in a different way this time and turned the color off on my TV. You get some awesome visuals watching it in black and white, like whenever Batman is seen in wider shots or establishing shots of Gotham. The one scene in particular that really stood out is when Bruce is talking to Vicky in the Batcave as Batman. Real treat.

I wish there was some way to get Batman Returns into the discussion. A clearly superior film to the first, that both embraces the wackiness of the 60s Batman, while also doubling down on both the gothic look and the hard PG-13 innuendo. It's both darker and campier. Every recent DC/WB superhero flick could learn a thing or two from this movie. You wanna be the anti-Marvel? Fine, let Superman and Batman punch each other and stuff. Be dark and whatever. But still make it FUN, and make some of the characters actually colorful and interesting.

Unfortunately, Superman II, while plenty camp, was also incredibly dumb.

And it was so that the looming THE DARK KNIGHT episode of the Canon was fended off...... for now

• Like 2

Unless a guest nominates it I don't see The Dark Knight getting an episode anytime soon.

I vote Batman. I agree with everything said about Superman's importance and great filmmaking, but I also agree with the problems in the last hour and Lex Luthor, and those are deal breakers for me. Batman has issues as well, but it holds together for me and came out on my birthday when I was 7 and probably turned me into the comic geek I am, so I'm probably biased. (I am bias.)

I loved the comparison of Batman with Universal Horror, I've always thought that Batman Returns was Tim Burton's Bride of Frankenstein.

Can anyone find Amy's BvS review mentioned in the episode? Did it get scrubbed from the internet or something?

Can anyone find Amy's BvS review mentioned in the episode? Did it get scrubbed from the internet or something?

Weird, you're right. Maybe MTV never released it, the hot take was too hot for them.

Sign in to follow this