🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 277 - Stomp out the Stompers

Director Lance Bangs and comedian Clare O'Kane join Howard and guest co-host April Richardson on Who Charted. During the Billboard's Hot 100 chart, Howard and Lance discuss trying to solve the case of Howard's stolen car. The top 5 prime broadcast shows inspire a conversation about Mickey Rooney's weird path to becoming an animal rights activist. During Two Charted, Howard and April talk about traveling, Star Wars and the word "lovers."

I would have also accepted Cat Poster Songs as the episode title.

• Like 2

I would have also accepted Cat Poster Songs as the episode title.

I was going to say the exact same thing!

This one was a lot of fun. Howard having a bit of a longer leash is always entertaining. April's story about the celebrity dating app was amazing.

• Like 1

When can I experience Who Charted on my oculus rift? I can only imagine that it would be amazing.

• Like 1

I found both Howie and April to be correct about that Uber Everywhere song at the end. It had that 'it' factor where you know it sounds perfectly derivative and stupid to be a massive hit with the young kids these days, yet also it was "lazy rap".

Sound music criticism, I wish WhoCh had more time for that, just listening to and talking about songs both new and old

I found both Howie and April to be correct about that Uber Everywhere song at the end. It had that 'it' factor where you know it sounds perfectly derivative and stupid to be a massive hit with the young kids these days, yet also it was "lazy rap".

Sound music criticism, I wish WhoCh had more time for that, just listening to and talking about songs both new and old

That was great. April came in a little hot with her takedown (personally, I think lazy can mean different things to different people when it comes to rap, & I disagreed with her assertion) & Howard gave her the perfect schooling on why that song is a shining example of the sharp, quickly-evolving rap cycle we're in. I also don't think April is too "mom" to begin to appreciate new rap.

High-five!

That was great. April came in a little hot with her takedown (personally, I think lazy can mean different things to different people when it comes to rap, & I disagreed with her assertion) & Howard gave her the perfect schooling on why that song is a shining example of the sharp, quickly-evolving rap cycle we're in. I also don't think April is too "mom" to begin to appreciate new rap.

High-five!

Please don't tell me you think "lazy rap" is a racist phrase

How can anyone listen to that song and not agree with it being lazy-rap, in the lyrics the guy sounds like he just rolled out of bed hungover, each breath of song is like 5 words and an exhale. There's a breakdown where he just says "hay... hay... hay... skurrskurr... hay... hay.... hay.... skurrskurr" and then returns to the 'song'. It's like I'm in love with the coco, the song could have been written in an afternoon, which spells lazy to me. Maybe weeks and weeks of re-recording, editing, and meetings went down to get to that beautiful primed finished product. I'm not in the music industry, but if that's happening I feel bad for Madeintyo because it doesn't come across to the ears

Alpaca, I was actually worried for a sec that someone might possibly think that's what I meant, so I guess I'll explain. I think "lazy rap" is a phrase that discredits the genre a bit. Not every rapper is in the Kanye/Eminem/Tupac alpha dog mould, & modern rap doesn't require every line to be punctuated with that sort of "A-HA! Look what I just did! FUCK THE WORLD!" edge that used to be the norm. Rap can be more about vibe, ambiance, & flow today than it could've in the past, & I think that's what fans of the music can be happy with.

Alternative rock didn't inspire the most new fans back in the 90's, but it was indeed a new evolution of the genre. Madeintyo & other rappers this decade have tapped into alternative rap, & there's nothing unskilled or lazy about it (look no further than Earwolf's many forays into the difficulty of freestyle rapping to get an idea of just how difficult it is to catch/flow with a beat).

But yes, I do prefer hard-working, white rap to lazy rap most of the time. ;)

• Like 1

Alpaca, I was actually worried for a sec that someone might possibly think that's what I meant, so I guess I'll explain. I think "lazy rap" is a phrase that discredits the genre a bit. Not every rapper is in the Kanye/Eminem/Tupac alpha dog mould, & modern rap doesn't require every line to be punctuated with that sort of "A-HA! Look what I just did! FUCK THE WORLD!" edge that used to be the norm. Rap can be more about vibe, ambiance, & flow today than it could've in the past, & I think that's what fans of the music can be happy with.

Alternative rock didn't inspire the most new fans back in the 90's, but it was indeed a new evolution of the genre. Madeintyo & other rappers this decade have tapped into alternative rap, & there's nothing unskilled or lazy about it (look no further than Earwolf's many forays into the difficulty of freestyle rapping to get an idea of just how difficult it is to catch/flow with a beat).

But yes, I do prefer hard-working, white rap to lazy rap most of the time. ;)

Yeah I'm not some purist who feels like every song needs to have introspective and wordy lyrics to be good or 'not lazy', I like rap that some would probably consider lazy, but this falls into that I'm in love with the coco category in my opinion where the word lazy works. The breakdown where nothing happens is a great example to me, it truly sounds like it was recorded in an afternoon, in a bad way.

I've definitely liked some trashy hiphop songs of the past few years, but I am probably grumpy old man status on a lot of this, shaking my fist at songs that I liked the equivalent of when I was a teen

Sign in to follow this