🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shannon

Website Makeover!

Hi Earwolf fans!

It's about that time for Earwolf.com to get a little facelift. But before we start on anything, we wanted to ask you guys what you think first!

So, if anyone has opinions about the following questions, we'd love to hear them!

• What features do you love about earwolf.com now?
  • What new features would you like to see?
  • What site features do you use most?
  • What parts of the site do you never use?

Thank you! We love you!

• What new features would you like to see?

Two fairly basic functional things on the front page:

1) I think the company line on this is "It's Soundcloud's fault and we can't do anything about it", but if a new site infrastructure allows a way to restore the ability to download directly from the main page (the links which used to download but now just direct to Soundcloud pages), that would be great.

2) This was never an issue until the Wolfpop shows were added, but only having five shows (i.e. fewer than are released on a lot of days) appear on the main page without clicking "More Episodes" is a little annoying.

One aesthetic thing: Please keep the color scheme! It feels really integral to the identity of Earwolf.

• Like 3

I like looking at the pictures included in each podcast, and at least for me I often find the 'next arrow' that brings you to the next picture is a dead link and I have to exit the photo and click on the next one from the original page. I don't know if that makes sense, of if it's even worth fixing, but it's just a small thing that bothers me sometimes.

I would also appreciate a search bar on the main page that you can use to search anything; hosts, guests, keywords, episode title, podcast title...

I agree with kickpuncher - the color scheme is important and I wouldn't change it.

• Like 1

What features do you love about earwolf.com now?

-Forum post / pictures for each episode

-The page with podcast appearances of the individual guest

What new features would you like to see?

-Better picture viewer

-User submitted tags like Steam (so you could click and get a timeline of, for example, every PFT Ice-T business venture episode of CBB)

-I think a constant, functioning, radio of podcasts could actually be really cool

-A feed that includes way more pods/info (sometimes pods can be pushed off the front page too quickly)

What site features do you use most?

-Feed on the front page

-The page with podcast appearances of the individual guest

What parts of the site do you never use?

-Radio

on a random side note, i never liked those menus that show on mouse hover that podcast networks always use (not that i have a better solution)

• Like 3

The only things I'd like to be updated are the homepage design and the way show pictures are viewed.

-I think a constant, functioning, radio of podcasts could actually be really cool

That's actually a great idea and I can't imagine it would be too hard. It would be a great way for people to discover new earwolf podcasts and would help me when I'm having trouble deciding what to listen to. One day of the week plays all the most recent episodes, another day of the week plays classics, another day of the week is just completely random, maybe a day that plays under appreciated episodes, etc. There's got to be an intern or something that could throw in a little commentary in between every couple of episodes. It would be really cool.

• Easier and more efficient avatar uploading. It barely ever works, even with the right dimensions and file size.
  • The ability to delete your own posts.

I'll add more as I think of them. All of Podney Dangerfield's ideas are great, I definitely love the idea of being able to search through episodes based on characters and other tags. Right now I use the CBB Wiki for that.

• Like 1

What features do you love about earwolf.com now?

I like that it exists and I can click a thing or two to listen to a podcast on my computer

What new features would you like to see?

Search! Good god damn google will do this for you for free, get a fucking search function already. I'm also gonna second that the episode pictures need to be addressed.

What site features do you use most?

I find an episode to listen to and then I listen to it.

What parts of the site do you never use?

All of the pages that have been introduced over the last few years which don't do anything. I especially like when I donate to a show and I get a generic "Hey it's Scotty Auks and whatshisname, thanks for donating!" video which is actually from four years ago. Really makes the shit worth it.

I wish there were a central location to find all the latest promo codes for a particular show and/or sponsor. I just scanned through five episodes of SPONTANEANATION for a Seeso ad and, when I found one, I learned there wasn't a promo code to use. :(

• Like 5

-For some reason it bothers me that Yo Is This Racist and QotD take over the main page so much--they're in the recent episodes list every day. Obviously this is because of their daily format, but they could have their episodes grouped together into a weekly roundup in the timeline. Don't know why I care, honestly. Just a thought.

-I want to disagree with Kickpuncher (for maybe the first time? :-o!!!!!) and say that the colour scheme could probably use an update. The yellow and grey could be represented while looking a little brighter and friendlier, with more white and less charcoal.

-Lastly, this has bothered me for months/years (again with no great justification, other than the fact that I am an interior designer): the shoe display over the grey sofa is probably cute in person in the office, but as a photo backdrop it makes no sense; the way so many Earwolf shows are visually translated to the world relies on that vignette, and the eyeline of most guest photos captures a big, awkward, empty space resulting in a messy composition.

The centre of that headphone image could be filled in with shoes/objects, the photos could be taken from a different angle, the whole installation could be moved, or a thousand other solutions if somebody addressed the wall from the perspective of a photographer/stylist.

That or just taking the CBB, HHB, WSGLL etc photos somewhere else.

Hope that's helpful and not just annoying. :-/

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this