🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Bad Movies That Have Aged Well Over Time

Are there any films that have either been done on the show or other bad movies that you have seen that were bad when they first came out but have actually gotten better in context or what they portrayed over time as compared to the numerous lists that are online about films that have aged horribly since their release? For me there are a few that pop out to me include Demolition Man in that i has predicted quite a few social changes that have occurred over the last few year and Last Action Hero which has surprisingly aged well as a satire of action movies. Any others that you guys can think of?

• Like 1

Sleepaway Camp is still a horrible movie, but it "goes there" on a lot of issues that were taboo at the time (child molestation, transgenderism, and homosexual relationships between consenting adults) that have gained widespread social recognition. It doesn't cover for the fact that the movie is badly cast, shot, edited, and has an incoherent plot, but what might have made it shocking for its time is a lot less so.

I agree that Sleepaway Camp is still a bad movie, but in comparison to the countless slashers released at that time, this really does stand the test of time, similar to The Burning which I still think has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Are there any films that have either been done on the show or other bad movies that you have seen that were bad when they first came out but have actually gotten better in context or what they portrayed over time as compared to the numerous lists that are online about films that have aged horribly since their release? For me there are a few that pop out to me include Demolition Man in that i has predicted quite a few social changes that have occurred over the last few year and Last Action Hero which has surprisingly aged well as a satire of action movies. Any others that you guys can think of?

I think "Hackers" is maybe the inverse of this, as it seemed mayyyyyyybe less ridiculous to begin with, but retroactively misses the mark that much more with almost every day that goes by. I think it's more enjoyable now than it was when I was a teenager.

I think "Hackers" is maybe the inverse of this, as it seemed mayyyyyyybe less ridiculous to begin with, but retroactively misses the mark that much more with almost every day that goes by. I think it's more enjoyable now than it was when I was a teenager.

Hackers is actually one of the movies consistently on those lists of films that really don't hold up to aging.

• Like 1

I think Hackers is, in a puzzling way, more watchable and enjoyable now as a film that has aged terribly then as a "cool movie, you know, for the kids!" attempt to catch a series of trends in the 1990s. It's gone from a product meant to hit a target demographic to a cartoonish cult movie; like Death Race 2000, but with computers and neon cargo pants (and less good).

• Like 2

I think Hackers is, in a puzzling way, more watchable and enjoyable now as a film that has aged terribly then as a "cool movie, you know, for the kids!" attempt to catch a series of trends in the 1990s. It's gone from a product meant to hit a target demographic to a cartoonish cult movie; like Death Race 2000, but with computers and neon cargo pants (and less good).

That's kind of what I was getting at, as I couldn't be bothered to give a shit about this thing when I was supposed to be the target demo, but I knew some people that loved it for all the reasons I didn't. It's great to watch ironically, to look at all the stuff they got so, so wrong, and to see actors that had no understanding of the material fumble their way through it, but it's not something I'd show to anyone that wasn't in the same mindset.

Sign in to follow this