🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: Slacker (1991)

Considering its in honor of Everybody Wants Some, I was expecting this to be Dazed and Confused

I deleted the link to an illegal pirated copy of the movie. Please don't link to pirated films here. Support movies.

• Like 3

I wish this were a vs. with Dazed and Confused. They're both extremely strong YESes for me and that episode would tear me apart in a great way

I deleted the link to an illegal pirated copy of the movie. Please don't link to pirated films here. Support movies.

That video was put up by FilmBuff.com. From what I can tell, they're a legal distributor of independent movies.

Edit: I don't want to invoke the wrath of Devin again by reposting the video without permission, but I'm pretty sure it's a legal copy. Just search for it on Youtube and find the one posted by FilmBuff.

Damn. It used to be on Netflix. Thankfully, I've already seen it. Maybe I'll rent it on Amazon for a rewatch, even though it hasn't been that long.

So stoked for this episode...

The Criterion DVD is generally cheap. I got mine for $12 iirc. It also comes with It's Impossible To Learn To Plow By Reading Books, which is....difficult. Also Woodshock a documentary short by Linklater and his DP for the first 2 before movies + boyhood, Lee Daniel. Great stuff, fun interview with Daniel Johnston.

I've been waiting for a Linklater episode for so long, and with Everybody Wants Some and Dazed fresh in my head, It's a good time to rewatch Slacker. Then again, it's always a good time to rewatch Slacker.

Oh boy, I've just watched this film for the first time... There are some really, really well-staged scenes in here. Definitively quite inspiring. But, after watching a couple of his films, I still have some issues with his dialogue... whish, there was less of it. I always kind of feel that these are not the character's words, but some essays Linklater wrote in High School that he made actors to recite.... Also: Conspiracy theories. There's only so many I can handle in 90 minutes without being drunk and/or high.

• Like 1

Also: Conspiracy theories. There's only so many I can handle in 90 minutes without being drunk and/or high.

That's the point though, this is a film in the genre of comedy. I'd never watch three minutes of conspiracy theory anything if it didn't have any irony to it.

• Like 1

That's the point though, this is a film in the genre of comedy. I'd never watch three minutes of conspiracy theory anything if it didn't have any irony to it.

That's true. Maybe I should have been more precise: I'd argue that in this case, Linklater tells basically the same joke 3 times in a row. That's simply not very clever comedy.

Sign in to follow this