🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
engineerdoug

Episode 10 — Mac & Me

How do you make a movie like Mac and Me? We'll give you the recipe: Take a bag of Skittles. Mix it with equal parts tired 80's archetypes and bad CGI. Let it simmer in Coca-Cola while you go have an impromptu yet totally choreographed dance party. Carefully remove any traces of plot and serve with a side of french fries. There you have it, a recipe for a movie so stomach-churning that even the talented How Did This Get Made chefs, including Adam Pally, cannot make palatable. Enjoy!

I saw an old guy walking down the street today, waddling just like the aliens in Mac and Me. It made my eyeballs barf because it reminded me of this incredibly shitty movie.

At the end of this episode, you guy were talking about the girl in the convertible outside the supermarket. You stated that she looked over at the aliens as if nothing was wrong, then did a double take and peeled out for apparently no reason. She got freaked out, because the aliens smashed through the glass and stole her Sprite (more Coca Cola Co. placement).

Btw, love the show...so much that I had to a dick and correct you. Haha. It was with love, I promise.

• Like 1

This one is from my childhood. I forgot all about the weird cartooniness of the title aliens. I also remember liking it at the time. Or at least tolerating it.

"Mac & Me" is forty times as good as "Nukie", another E.T. rip-off (but set in Africa). And by that I mean that you MUST find a way to see "Nukie". I found a VHS copy at a video rental place going out of business along with my all-time favorite bad movie "Creating Rem Lezar" (which was apparently written by French-Canadian child psychologists).

I don't know how this didn't come up when the show first covered Mac & Me, but are you guys aware that Paul Rudd has been pulling an almost decade long joke on the audience of the Conan Obrian show by continually using a clip from Mac & Me everytime he is there to promote a new film he is working on (instead of the film in question)?

It's amazing. And a compilation can be found here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RImuHaQV2V4

• Like 7

One bit I love is the mom accuses the kid in the wheelchair of putting the plants and things in the living room. Some of the stuff is way up on high shelves..

The kid in real life had spina bifida.

The actor who played Eric (wheelchair kid) was the only one who did a decent job in this. And that's not saying much. I'm thankful that I did not have to pay to watch this movie - it's THAT bad.

I was 10 when this came out in 1988. Not sure HOW I missed it, but I'm glad I did - a bit too old at the time for its target audience, maybe?

revisiting the madness that is this movie and episode of HDTGM, and they should really just do a sequel to the episode and have Paul Rudd on, maybe they can get to the bottom of how the Conan bit came to be

Paul Rudd would be an awesome guest even if they didn't redo Mac & Me.

We’re about to hit the 30th anniversary of this movie, and recently it’s been confirmed that the kid actually gets shot on camera and dies from it in a deleted scene that was left in in the Japanese version: Link

• Like 1