🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickperkins

Homework: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)

The Adventures of Robin Hood. Pure Old Hollywood spectacle. Not even one of my favorite films of the 1930s, but a must-see for anyone worthy of our oxygen.

(Pre-EDIT)

Given this thread, my off-topic suggestion could be very....ummm....gauche? I lost train of that sentence....

If you haven't seen The Adventures of Robin Hood, DO. I've seen it recently. It holds up.

(Post???-EDIT)

That said, if you're in the mood for a(nother) 1930s adventure swashbuckler:

The Prisoner of Zenda (1937) with Ronald Colman. Yeah, a whole year before "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

Just putting that out there. For context. Yeah....context! Also, there's a barely 0% chance it would be graced with a Canon episode, since it seems like an almost-forgotten movie (even if "Futurama" arguably referenced it a few years ago).

The 1930s were a good decade for old-school swashbuckling. Robin Hood is certainly the bigger of the two films. It cast the longer shadow. It's in color. It starred the more over-the-top actor, with the far more notorious off-screen life. But, still:

The Prisoner of Zenda (1937). My highest recommendation.

Make a night of them. Or a weekend of them. Spend some time in the 30s. An almost mythical day, if you really think about it. Back in the days of old-school romantic swordplay, and noble love at first sight. Or at least of these phenomena being accepted at face-value by audiences. Because....Why not?

...I gotta pimp out my faves. If I get the chance. Love compels me.

You have no idea how excited I am for this. The Adventures of Robin Hood, Modern Times, and The Princess Bride are the three films that are in constant rotation as being my favorite movie. I really hope one of them at least mentions how influential Errol Flynn's performance here was to Cary Elwes' performance in The Princess Bride. Also, just do a Princess Bride episode. In face, do an episode for all three of those. And let me be a guest host. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

• Like 1

You have no idea how excited I am for this. The Adventures of Robin Hood, Modern Times, and The Princess Bride are the three films that are in constant rotation as being my favorite movie. I really hope one of them at least mentions how influential Errol Flynn's performance here was to Cary Elwes' performance in The Princess Bride. Also, just do a Princess Bride episode. In face, do an episode for all three of those. And let me be a guest host. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.

I just watched Modern Times last week. Hilarious from beginning to end, but that scene where Chaplin stops a jailbreak while coked out is legendary.

• Like 1

I just watched Modern Times last week. Hilarious from beginning to end, but that scene where Chaplin stops a jailbreak while coked out is legendary.

Couldn't agree more. I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been a Chaplin or Keaton episode yet. This is one I hope they get around to very soon.

I haven't actually watched The Adventures of Robin Hood. Just never got around to it. This is as good an excuse as any to finally watch it.

I haven't actually watched The Adventures of Robin Hood. Just never got around to it. This is as good an excuse as any to finally watch it.

I thought I've never watched it, and when I put the film in the dvd player tonight, I found out that I've watched it a long time ago when I was about 10 years old. Funny how things can play out.

The thing that impressed me most this time around was the film's length: it clocks in just around 100 minutes. It's really well edited. An epic like this would nowadays be stretched over at least 2 hours... and probably a couple of sequels. Not a trend I appreciate much in modern movies.

Sign in to follow this