🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but seriously guys...

147208-what-the-fuck-is-happening-rig-fFkz.gif

Let's all be cool, and just remember, that sometimes being cool is just knowing when to shut the fuck up...

Case in point...

James+Dean.jpg

62547664.jpg

• Like 4

Side note: thank you, Paul, for finally pronouncing the "l" in "howl.fm"

The first time I heard that ad I went to "how.fm" and was very confused.

• Like 1

I am always the last one to know about this, the show going live. what are you guys getting up at 2am ? I got mugged by a old lady on my way here. I am not having a good day. That old bitch got everything.

and the best moment in the movie goes tooo!

euf2gl.jpg

That leatherman is a scene stealer.. I want to join a biker gang and ride with his crew.

RIP Glenn Hughes/Leatherman.

• Like 2

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but seriously guys...

147208-what-the-fuck-is-happening-rig-fFkz.gif

Let's all be cool, and just remember, that sometimes being cool is just knowing when to shut the fuck up...

YES. ENOUGH ALREADY.

People, this is a free podcast put on by some of the best comedic actors out there. Create your own forum for this type of analysis. Let's use this particular forum as a support system to all the wonderful folks who give us amazing content each week. This is the time we get to be a part of something great.

• Like 8

Someone could post that someone else is annoying and a third someone could say that person was actually good and I wouldn't give a shit either way so I think that makes me cooler than everyone

• Like 2

Here's an idea; If you don't think Cameron Esposito is funny, don't listen to the stuff she does. Another idea: Not everything is for you. You don't have to be a completist. No one is forcing you to listen to this.

She's fine. A little heavy handed at times but fine, and, imo, funny. As is Pete Holmes.

And the whole " milkshake " bit was wonderful.

i have the right to discuss an episode of one of my favorite podcasts.. why are you offended that people have an opinion? people who are saying the dont particularly enjoy this episode are free to voice that opinion.. And most people (myself included) aren't completely trashing Cameron or the episode, merely stating its kind of a shame..

It's a forum, dedicated to this podcast.. Should we only make posts if they are positive happy thoughts lol?

EDIT: It also kind of upsets me that people defending Cameron are saying that her subject matter and personal preferences are what's turning people off about her. Can't speak for anyone else but thats simply not true to me.. I think ANY subject can be funny and i'm never opposed to someone stating their personal beliefs (shit, i listen to Matt Besser daily, and he's constantly talking about his own agenda and thoughts lol) It has absolutely nothing to do with who she is and 100 percent to do with chemistry and being funny.. She just doesnt mesh well on here

oh PS: Just saw Cameron on Bajillion Dollar Properties and i thoroughly enjoyed it

• Like 6

"There is no genocide in this movie. I like this movie."

Holy shit Zouks I almost spit out my tea at my computer at work. Well done.

• Like 8

One of my favorite, not so subtle, moments was Guttenberg's response to Samantha not wanting to reach out to her former lover, who's a famous record producer.

Mind you, Guttenberg's line comes on the heels of Samatha saying what she pigged out on today:

"Anybody who could swallow two snow balls and a ding dong shouldn’t have any problem with pride.”

What?!

bvyuta6.jpg

• Like 3

It's a forum, dedicated to this podcast.. Should we only make posts if they are positive happy thoughts lol?

No, but you should make posts that are respectful.

reminder1.jpg

If this thread starts devolving into name-calling and other immature bullshit, Dan & I would be more than happy to start swinging the banhammer.

• Like 14

I understand this is not an in-depth comment, but I laughed my ass off at the fact that Samantha's ice cream not only never melted over the course of what had to be a few hours, but it also changed flavors...

1st Round: Chocolate on top of Vanilla

v9zgHlk.png

2nd Round: Vanilla is now on top of Chocolate

TJ0sbIC.png

Final Round: Just Vanilla

VjfqwoN.png

• Like 9

Yeah, despite what I said earlier this morning, the problem some of us are having may be not that Cameron veered off into personal views, buy that she wasn't *funny* doing it.

And yes, funny is subjective. A live audience is usually a good barometer, though, and I don't remember hearing a lot of laughs from this one when Cameron started Expressing Herself. Even when she finishes a statement that sounds like she may have expected applause after, she gets it, but it sounds tepid and grudging. I know what a Largo crowd really giving it up at a HDTGM show sounds like at this point, and that wasn't it.

• Like 1

Yeah, despite what I said earlier this morning, the problem some of us are having may be not that Cameron veered off into personal views, buy that she wasn't *funny* doing it.

And yes, funny is subjective. A live audience is usually a good barometer, though, and I don't remember hearing a lot of laughs from this one when Cameron started Expressing Herself. Even when she finishes a statement that sounds like she may have expected applause after, she gets it, but it sounds tepid and grudging. I know what a Largo crowd really giving it up at a HDTGM show sounds like at this point, and that wasn't it.

Maybe they weren't laughing because she wasn't being funny, but instead was being truthful and heartfelt? I mean, she would say

"And this isn't me joking..." and variations on that. The "dick" conversation was a joke, her talking about the trans and gay issues were not. So a crowd's laughter is not exactly a barometer.

Anyway, that's my last post on that subject.

• Like 12

Regarding Steve Guttenberg being sexy, I feel like he was always pushed as a sexy comedic lead. Weren't his characters always the charming funny guy that gets the girl? So even if you don't find him sexy, I think we were supposed to believe he was.

• Like 7

I haven't listened to this yet so I'm not chiming in at all with a critique of this podcast, but since a lot of people were angry that I commented that I found Cameron to be sweet and charming but not all that hilarious on CBB last week I figure I'll invite some more harassment from "nice" people telling me that I'm subconsciously hating her because she happens to be attracted to women (which is hilarious)

I feel like she comes into a podcast as an elementary school teacher sometimes. on CBB she did get a bit vulgar which I like, but my opinion is that she seems focused on being respectful and charming foremost, rather than letting her mind unravel on the microphone to reach absurd hilarious subjects, which is what I like in my podcasting.

So she annoys me the same way Chris Hardwick does (crazy!!!! he's a straight MAN), it seems like they're doing everything they can to be 'nice' to be liked by all people, and somehow that makes me dislike them. She's a lovely, charming person, I just don't find myself laughing at her bits which is ultimately what I listen to Earwolf podcasts for

Can't wait to read the armchair psychiatrists' points of view on how deranged and hateful I am, have at it!

• Like 2

OMISSION

I thought it was funny for a gay movie that never mentioned the word "gay"

How many gay tropes were there in the movie

Beautiful girl ,, with attractive platonic guy friend check

a barber chair check

70s style handkerchief gay codes "anyone have a handkerchief" ( look it up) check

ymca check

scene where guttenberg and perrine come close to simulation oral sex on jenner check

over bearing moms check

guy in gold lame shorts twirling flames "flamer" check

gym "BODY" dude check

go goo boys , not girls at the disco check

marakesh records based real record company CASABLANCA that had gay icon VIllage People Cher Donna Summer check

It was like the producers wanted to slip this by middle america that this was at all gay, while sending a secret message to gays that this was for them...many in the closet films operated like this in this era.

Also I feel in the original draft Guttenberg character Jack was obviously gay but producers decided to 'straighten' him up...otherwise it makes no sense that he was not the love interest of Perrine.

Final note there is an offhand line about Guttunberg being celibate until his career takes off and Perrine asks " so more stewardesses?"

In 1980 the aids crisis was just taking hold in nyc and spread quickly by casual sex .. a French canadian flight attendant is widely know as "patient zero" of the aids epidemic; I would like to summarize that Guttenberg's character Jack goes back to casual sex after the "success" of his group .. has sex with said "stewardess/flight attendant" and starts the spread of AIDS .. sorry to get dark but there you have it.

Incidentally the actual character Jacques Morali that Guttenberg's songwriter was based on was infected by HIV in the mid-1980s and died of aids in 1991.

I think if you have either Pete or Cameron on a live, that's great. But don't have both. Holy shit I could not focus on points as they shouted over each other.

• Like 3

OMISSION

I thought it was funny for a gay movie that never mentioned the word "gay"

They kind of touched on this in the episode. I think Cameron pointed out how they kept referring to them as "weird," which was clearly their coded word for "gay." But, this was 1980, and calling them "weird" was probably the closest they could really get in a mainstream film.

• Like 1

No, but you should make posts that are respectful.

reminder1.jpg

If this thread starts devolving into name-calling and other immature bullshit, Dan & I would be more than happy to start swinging the banhammer.

Im truly asking, was i not being respectful in anyway? I don't like being downright negative and outting people down.. Nit my MO in the slightest

EDIT: i see your point, will do. thanks

• Like 1

Now we're all screaming at each other about dicks and presidential candidates? WTF is happening on this episode?

Maybe they weren't laughing because she wasn't being funny, but instead was being truthful and heartfelt? I mean, she would say

"And this isn't me joking..." and variations on that. The "dick" conversation was a joke, her talking about the trans and gay issues were not. So a crowd's laughter is not exactly a barometer.

Anyway, that's my last post on that subject.

I thought the audience laughed quite loudly when she said "A dick? Forget it." Then when Pete starts talking about tits, and he and Jason kind of shout at each other for four minutes. Then when she talks about how the entire purpose of the podcast was set aside so they could talk about dicks, the audience is with her. Jason can't even speak because there is so much applause right then. I do think she was funny and I do think the audience was into her so I'm surprised by all of this " she wasn't funny" talk.

I wish June had been there for this episode. I would've like to have heard her thoughts.

• Like 11

I own one of these... It was a gift.

GroupShot2.jpg

I'd never heard of these prior to this ep, but after reading about them...I kind of want one.

• Like 2

I'd never heard of these prior to this ep, but after reading about them...I kind of want one.

They really do dry out the air. I had to shut it off, put it away and bring in a humidifier at one point.

Also on the subject of what the construction worker rolled out on at the end. It looked like a riding lawnmower, but I think it was suppose to represent one of these:

Ride-on-Mini-Road-Roller-with-Double-Drum-CE.jpg

I, as well as other Dallasites (It that the proper term?) will attest, have seen about a million of these in my life, since 35 seems to always be under construction in some way or another for all eternity.

• Like 3

I own one of these... It was a gift.

GroupShot2.jpg

I can't stop staring at the JCVD-caliber buns on the rightmost lamp.

• Like 10