πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 75 - Paul W. Downs: People, Places, and Things

Welcome back to People, Places, and Things with your host Marcello Chang Bardinewa (Paul W. Downs)! It's the show in which Marcello interviews people, places, and things about fascinating stories, often stories of tragedy and sadness that end with a glimmer of hope. This week is no exception as he is joined by Elaine McKenna Broderick, a survivor who has returned to society after being held captive for 11 years. Elaine speaks on how her life has changed since then and expands on her newly released book "No More Skittles: My Story of Confinement and Kidnapping". Later, Traci Reardon stops by to help her Twitter followers with advice on kidnapping in another edition of β€œHelp Me, Rhonda.”

This was really funny, but it sort of exposed a flaw in the premise. Because the guest/host comes up with the character and premise, they can basically repeat a previous episode. I think this was different enough from the Wild Horses episode to not feel like an exact repeat, but it was still weird.

I haven't listened to that live episode, but from what I understand it was a parody of the movie "Room", whereas this episode is essentially referencing a real thing that happened (Elizabeth Smart). If anything, this seems like an even darker idea, to try to make fun of something so horrible. While it was a little bit uncomfortable to listen to, the ridiculous elements that they added (having the couple that kidnapped her be stage improvisers who force her to type up their film screenplays) helped make it a little bit funnier. Still, kudos to Downs and Lapkus for going into such a potentially dangerous area.

Sign in to follow this