🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134.5 - Minisode 134.5

When it comes to sci-fi genre mashups involving a sentient, glowing orb from space that attaches itself to the protagonists, this movie needs more Bruce Campbell...

CF7RX.jpg

• Like 6

Am I the only one excited about the announcement of a second "annual" Howdys? I re-listened to Gooby last night and I started Sharknado 2 just now (baby!).

I think someone who is not me--because I do not have the skills--should do a supercut of aggressive mispronunciations. Or, like, all the times Jason did not care for the Second Opinions theme.

I meant to respond to this earlier, but YES! I'm extremely excited for the 2nd "Annual" Howdys--and I wholly support your use of quotation marks around "Annual." I guess we get one every time June and Paul have a kid...

Anyway, I've been wanting this for some time. I wish there was something I could do to help, but I'm not really sure how. I've never created a "super cut," and even if I were to learn how, I'm sure there are others better suited to the task than myself.

Does anyone have any good categories?

• Like 2

I really don't want to spend 3 bucks even renting this, but I am so curious at the same time.

I think it's worth three bucks. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, actually. I'm not saying it's great or anything, but compared to some of the movies they do that feel like a chore to sit through, this one's pretty entertaining, and at only 90 mins, not too arduous of a task.

If nothing else, it will give you an hour and a half to marvel at Jason Patric's flawless skin without feeling too pervy...

JasonPatric01.jpg

• Like 3

Does anyone have any good categories?

I want a category (or a supercut) filled with the movies that they think are absolutely perfect and shouldn't be changed whatsoever. So we get Deep Blue Sea, Con Air, Face/Off, and Furious 7 fo sho.

Oh and I know Paul made his pick of this but I genuinely want a "Best Song" category so that Jason and June and choose some too.

• Like 3

We definitely need a "What is happening" catergory. From Jason's mind being blown from Jim Varney's inherent oozing sexuality. To Paul's when June's brain had to reconcile that the tiny dude from Island of Dr. Moreau was a person, or most famously June's staunch defense of monkey rights.

• Like 2

I had seen Solarbabies before, but after having seen The Apple for the first time I enjoyed the Apple-esque twist near the end. I was just disappointed that Bodi (whom I kept wanting to manifest in a humanoid form as Patrick Swayze) didn't take them all to a new planet to start all over.

• Like 1

He's also Caleb Colton in Near Dark.

• Like 1

I just love that they continued the trend from the Crying Indian ad and cast an Italian actor as a Native American.

• Like 1

I just love that they continued the trend from the Crying Indian ad and cast an Italian actor as a Native American.

Was he supposed to be Native American? Because it didn't seem like any of them in that little tent village were. They were all white dudes with weird side ponytails. Maybe they were Dothraki cosplayers.

We definitely need a "What is happening" catergory. From Jason's mind being blown from Jim Varney's inherent oozing sexuality. To Paul's when June's brain had to reconcile that the tiny dude from Island of Dr. Moreau was a person, or most famously June's staunch defense of monkey rights.

This is a great idea! Def need to hear June saying "he's so small" again. Another one could be when Paul F. Thompkins freaks out about David E. Kelley writing on a yellow legal pad.

Another thing I was thinking about was the All-Stars. Like "Best All Star?" Because we didn't really have that many repeat guests last "year." Unless it was for a series.

ETA: Or! Or! Greatest Audience Contribution. We could have the lady from "Can't Stop the Music" singing second opinions, Cody doing the splits. etc.

• Like 3

I really don't want to spend 3 bucks even renting this, but I am so curious at the same time.

Like a nice classy tattoo, it's money well spent! I watched it last night btw, it's fabulous!!!

You don't want to miss this kid do ya?

abo8x0.jpg

too bad he's too old now to adopt.

• Like 4

There is a bridge of death moment, when the team has to use, "Team Work" to get across a bridge together. well there is just no god dam way they could really get across that bridge by spinning around as a group on roller skates. but they somehow magically do it. threw the power of "editing" if I find the clip on youtube I'll post it. that scene alone is worth the movie's price in my mind.

• Like 1

Solarbabies

And I just came.

Now then, to business! In case Paul was wondering, what made Blackie Lawless popping up in the movie ironic is that W.A.S.P. is now a Christian heavy metal band. The band started out as a shock rock band, even being prominently targeted by Tipper gore's PMRC and Blackie is famous for having a codpiece with a sawblade on it. However, somewhere along the way, Blackie became a born again Christian and Blackie shifted his writing away from the horror and sex antics, even to the point where Blackie would self-censor his older songs when he performed live and has even said he would never sing their biggest hit "Animal(Fuck Like A Beast) live again. So, his appearance in a movie about a known musical group of homosexuals is certainly ironic in hindsight. But at the time, the antics of W.A.S.P.'s live shows are probably what got him noticed.

"The Americans" is SO fucking good, and I don't know if it's going another season or not, but there's such a feeling of dread and a lot of things happening that make it feel like it's going to be the end soon.

I tried getting into that show but midway through the first season I just gave up, it's not bad but when I know the end of the show is basically going to be the Soviets losing the Cold War, I just shrugged and started watching something else.

As for this batshit movie, I can only assume the director saw Starlight Express and thought "I bet this would be great if I mixed it with Rollerball and had an antagonist who was more of an attempted rapist than Biff Tannen." Definitely worth the $3 rental on Amazon.

I tried getting into that show but midway through the first season I just gave up, it's not bad but when I know the end of the show is basically going to be the Soviets losing the Cold War, I just shrugged and started watching something else.

I haven't seen the show, but is it really about the Cold War as a whole? Like, I know that's the setting, and I think Felicity and the other dude are supposed to be Soviet spies, but I assumed it was more of a character drama than a historical drama.

I haven't seen the show, but is it really about the Cold War as a whole? Like, I know that's the setting, and I think Felicity and the other dude are supposed to be Soviet spies, but I assumed it was more of a character drama than a historical drama.

That's what it is but even still the fact that no matter what happens their side still loses in the end. For me I watch maybe 7 shows during a given TV season, it's about all I have time for with two jobs, and it just couldn't make the cut for me which stinks because FX usually has great dramas (Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, to name a few). This season for me has been Daredevil, Gotham, NCIS, the Walking Dead shows, Those Who Can't, & Archer. If you're looking for character dramas I would also suggest Tyrant on FX, which should be starting it's third season this summer, and Hand of God on Amazon which features Ron Perlman in a great performance as a corrupt judge who believes he's receiving messages from God to find out who drove his son to attempt suicide.

• Like 1

I think though a big part of it is that they are trying to get you to have an emotional investment in (and to some degree root for) these Soviets. Not in the sense that the producers trying to push a pro-communist agenda or anything, just as an ultimate anti-hero.

• Like 1

That's what it is but even still the fact that no matter what happens their side still loses in the end. For me I watch maybe 7 shows during a given TV season, it's about all I have time for with two jobs, and it just couldn't make the cut for me which stinks because FX usually has great dramas (Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Shield, to name a few). This season for me has been Daredevil, Gotham, NCIS, the Walking Dead shows, Those Who Can't, & Archer. If you're looking for character dramas I would also suggest Tyrant on FX, which should be starting it's third season this summer, and Hand of God on Amazon which features Ron Perlman in a great performance as a corrupt judge who believes he's receiving messages from God to find out who drove his son to attempt suicide.

Interesting. I'm struggling to keep up with even TV shows that I love because of the DLM Challenge. But I heard REALLY good things about Hand of God.

Interesting. I'm struggling to keep up with even TV shows that I love because of the DLM Challenge. But I heard REALLY good things about Hand of God.

Same here as I'm trying to beat my last DLM record and there are shows I want to watch like House of Cards. Hand of God has gotten mixed reviews from critics but it seems viewers have llked it, which has allowed it to get a second season. The performances in it are great and it handles multiple subplots with ease. I'm still trying to finish Baskets as well as Those Who Can't, but with the buffer space I have with DLM I should have some time to catch up.

• Like 1

I have never seen The Americans so I can not contribute to that conversation but I wanted to interject with this joke I saw today

Where does a mansplainer get his water?

from a well, actually

• Like 4

And I just came.

The band started out as a shock rock band, even being prominently targeted by Tipper gore's PMRC and Blackie is famous for having a codpiece with a sawblade on it. However, somewhere along the way, Blackie became a born again Christian and Blackie shifted his writing away from the horror and sex antics, even to the point where Blackie would self-censor his older songs when he performed live and has even said he would never sing their biggest hit "Animal(Fuck Like A Beast) live again.

Are you kidding me? I had that album by wasp "animal" so what is F replaced with? FUN? . it's funny, you know. because my mom got angry at my older sister when I was younger and she would blast the song by "

"

My sister would get upset and point out to her that i am listening to way worse music then she was but good old mother could not hear it but she couldn't understand the words so it didn't effect her as much as good old Frankie did. :D she would try and point out that my music has a album cover of a man wearing a table saw blade on his grown. "

" W.A.S.P. I sort of always suspected that W A S p was always all show and no go as far as heavy metal bands goes. kind of like Twisted Sister. No one who really liked Heavy Metal ever liked Twisted sister.

Speaking of metal bands, I can't believe I found this. I was looking for this for years, after my beta max kicked it. I've searched for this before but some how found it tonight on youtube.

ladies and gentlemen the greatest heavy metal band of all time! ..

it's about 20mins so, get ready for Iron lung!

Think I've watched this about ten times now. I am so so Happy right now. the best part is at the end when they raise the devil 18min mark and he says "astonus, villus, fuissball" German for football. hehe