🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
paulscheer

2nd ANNUAL HOWDIES - COMING SOON & WE NEED HELP

Hey Everyone,

It's time to undertake that GIANT task of putting together THE 2nd HOW DID THIS GET MADE AWARDS.

The ONLY episodes in Contention start at Ep.89 (Gooby) and go through Ep. 135 (Solar Babies)

We are going to need some big help in the coming weeks/months. Last time we had some amazing listeners help create categories and nominees and we will be doing that but we are also going to try and structure it a bit better. More details on this later.

Look here for posts from myself and MARISSA (she's my producing partner on this) about what we need.

But what can you do right now?

ASSIGNMENT 1

Be Creative

We are looking for SuperCuts that highlight the show or an element of the show or even the movies we discussed.

We are also looking for a Theme Song or Even Some Categories Theme Songs

(We'll announce the categories soon)

If you want to compose an original song that's great too.

That's all for now.

Excited

• Like 8

I am useless at supercuts but someone please make me one of all the times June said Gooby. It just makes me happy.

• Like 7

I wasn't around for the first HOWDY'S but are the winners going to be voted upon by the listeners or by you, June and Jason? I think you guys "voted" on the fly last time? Based on The Canon's thread, I can't imagine it would be too difficult to set up a poll on the forums for each category--hiding the results until revealed in the actual episode. However, trying to include every listener--across all platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Forums)--may be difficult. Maybe set it up here (I'm biased) and just direct people to the forums in the weeks leading up to the episode(s) once the categories are set.

Hopefully, I can come up with some other way to help too! I love the show, but I am aggressively untalented. :)

The trick with this show is that the nominees are so specific, so we really need the listeners to help select nominees. But maybe we can pick a few categories to have listeners vote.

• Like 2

Some of my suggestions for the Howdies.

"What the fuck did I just see?!" Moment of the Year:

Mastubating a raw chicken with a webcam - LOL

Penises in a PG movie - You Can't Stop The Music

JCVD pulling his pants down, only to pull them back up again - Bloodsport

The Erotic Wookie Dream Sequence - Star Wars Holiday Special

The Central Park Bear SmackDown - Hercules in New York

Sean Connery's Costume - Zardoz

The Guy Throwing His Dog In The Lake - Mr. Nanny (although, that's #88, so probably not eligable)

The Frank Dux Award for Obvious Bullshit Real Life Movie of the Year:

LOL

Bloodsport

Some other possible ideas:

The "Shit Dick" Award for Most Unlikeable Non-Villainous Character

The "What exactly IS a Street Fighter?!" Award

The "But... gravity!" Award for whatever the fuck happens in the Fast & Furious movies

The "Oh god I fucking hate this kid" Award

The Christopher Lambert Award for Most Outstanding Wig

Also, an "In Memorium" for the LOL thread in "Bad Movie Suggestions", that movie brought out the best and worst of some posters on these boards, it needs a piano track with some posts highlighted because a single Mini Episode isn't enough for the greatest thread in Earwolf Forum history.

• Like 4

Supercut: I am always delighted when Paul/June/Jason come up with a nickname for a character and everyone else adopts it without question for the rest of the show, e.g. "Hats" and "Luis Guzman" from Teen Witch. My memory is way too flaky to come up with a comprehensive list, but I'm sure listeners could help.

Category: Most Controversial Correction/Omission. The totally inconsequential issues that people refused to let die on the forums and Twitter, e.g. the etymology of "disaster" (Lifeforce), which shore Ipswich belongs to (The Covenant), the proper use of maxi pads (Jupiter Ascending), Gus from Breaking Bad (Maximum Overdrive), etc.

• Like 4

Supercut: I am always delighted when Paul/June/Jason come up with a nickname for a character and everyone else adopts it without question for the rest of the show, e.g. "Hats" and "Luis Guzman" from Teen Witch. My memory is way too flaky to come up with a comprehensive list, but I'm sure listeners could help.

One of my personal favorites was in Masters of the Universe when June messed up "Gwildor" and they just kept changing it every time and she lands the joke plane with "Gwyneth Paltrow."

• Like 2

But maybe we can pick a few categories to have listeners vote.

Yeah, I was thinking of broader categories (e.g. favorite episode, favorite guest, etc). That is assuming you even choose to go that route this time around... They would be like People's Choice Awards. You could call them the "Dummies" or something...

I'll keep thinking, but I like a lot of the suggestions I've heard so far!

Here are some of the PRELIM CATEGORIES -- To get the get the nominee talk started

Paul’s Best Intro Line

Best Recreation (When a Host/Guest acts out a scene)

Best Metaphor (This Movie is Like...)

Weirdest Thing Jason is Turned on By

Best June Theory

Best Celeb Impression by a Guest

Grossest Sex Talk

Best Tangent

Best Guest Laugh

Best Explanation Hope

Best One Liners

Best Moment of Realization (Think Rudy from Reindeer Games moment)

Best New Word created on the Podcast

Best Impression by a Host

Best Audience Correction and Omission

Best Mini Ep Correction & Omission

Best Thing that June is truly Upset by

Best New Movie Pitch based on a Movie that we watch (This Movie Should have been, a Sequel pitch or Alt movie)

Best Guest One Liner

Best Abuse of someone in the Crowd

Best Second Opinion

Best Second Opinion Theme

Edited by Paul Scheer
edit
  • Like 5

"What the fuck did I just see?!" Moment of the Year:

Mastubating a raw chicken with a webcam - LOL

Penises in a PG movie - You Can't Stop The Music

JCVD pulling his pants down, only to pull them back up again - Bloodsport

The Erotic Wookie Dream Sequence - Star Wars Holiday Special

The Central Park Bear SmackDown - Hercules in New York

Sean Connery's Costume - Zardoz

The Guy Throwing His Dog In The Lake - Mr. Nanny (although, that's #88, so probably not eligable)

This is exactly the type of category/nominees we are looking for because we easily pull clips for this

• Like 1

Best Mini Ep Correction & Omission

I may be completely biased but I nominate my own C&O when I rewrote the ending to The Island of Dr. Moreau to be like the ending of Wizard of Oz and swept that shit up.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I have a couple of suggestions for possible categories:

Best Moment of Host/Guest Outrage--I'm thinking specifically of PFT's reaction to finding out David E. Kelly writes his scripts longhand on yellow legal paper (Ep. 107 Lake Placid 22:19).

Best "Go Fuck Yourselves if You're Not at the Live Show" moment--I know someone else already suggested this, but I can't remember where I read it. Basically moments like the "Staying Alive Dance Party" or "Audience Member Does a Split."

• Like 1

Best Buns (Male)

Stallone - Tango & Cash

Russell - Tango & Cash

Connery - Zardoz

Travolta - Perfect

Van Damme - Bloodsport

Best Murder Committed by an Animal

Sam Jackson monologue death - Deep Blue Sea

Sodium Pentobarbitone injection - Monkeyshines

(OK, I might volunteer to rewatch the Sharknados and write a one-sentence description of each kill you can read ahead of time then play back at 3x speed, chipmunk-style)

Best Mathilda May Breast

Mathilda May's left breast - Lifeforce

Mathilda May's right breast - Lifeforce

• Like 3

Let me know if you have Nominees for the categories I listed in my last post - even if they are vague recollections.

Let me know if you have Nominees for the categories I listed in my last post - even if they are vague recollections.

I've got a couple that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm still making my way through the qualifying episodes, so they may change. Maybe not though if they were my first instinct.

Best Tangent--"Monkey Rights" Monkey Shines

Best Recreation--Jason/Katie Aselton, Temptation (14:36), "Marriage Counseling Couple." I feel like there's a good one in the Safe Haven episode as well, but I can't remember it off the top of my head or if there even is one.

Best Thing that June is Truly Upset By--It's a toss up between "Monkey Rights," "Be A Man," (starts around 23:20 and goes for about 5 mins...), and "He's So Little...", but since both Monkey Shines and Temptation are represented in my other choices, I think I'd go with "He's So Little..." from Island of Dr. Moreau.

Best Guest Laugh--I haven't re-listened the episodes they're on yet, but I'm going to guess my nominees will most likely be Paul F. Tompkins and Pete Holmes.

Best Second Opinion--Right now, I really like the first one on the Gooby episode that was basically, "Amazon delivered my order." I'm sure there are others.

Best Abuse of Someone in the Audience--Jason's attack on the guys wearing shorts (I think this was TMNT 2) and the one where the woman fell asleep (I don't remember the episode, but it was relatively recent...)

My biggest issue so far is just remembering the categories as I re-listen. I'm sure I'm missing things like "Best Metaphor..." Anyone have any tricks they're using to keep track of everything?

• Like 1

Hmm, made an evernote file of these and will do some attentive listening to verify, but off the vague top of my vague head...

Weirdest Thing Jason is Turned on By

Didn't he achieve climax when he learned Bloodsport was based on a true story?

Best New Movie Pitch based on a Movie that we watch (This Movie Should have been, a Sequel pitch or Alt movie)

There was something like a version of Hercules in NY where it's revealed Pretzy has been hallucinating his imaginary friend the whole time and commits suicide at the end.

Best Abuse of someone in the Crowd

All-time hands-down winner is Adam Pally attempting to force an on-mic marriage proposal.

How about the slow-motion unfolding of "wait, so The Apple was a parable about Adam and Eve?"

• Like 1

Best Moment of Realization--Sharknado 2 when it's realized (by everyone but Scott) that the shark at the end of the movie has Tara Reid's hand and wedding ring in its mouth.

• Like 1

I have to nominate the moment from Glitter when the panel realized that the silver streak on her was supposed to be the "glitter."

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe when I get home I'll make up a spreadsheet in google docs so we can get the timestamps on these and save the clip-puller(s) some wrist strain.

Just thought of another one:

Paul's Best Intro Line: "Fluff the pillows" for Temptation. I like the intro line, but what I liked even more is that the mics were still on during the theme song. First, you hear June crack up. Then you hear Jason say, "That really got you, huh?" Then, throughout the rest of the theme song, you can hear everyone giggling hysterically.

I said it at the time, but goddamn that was charming!

ETA: Another one I just heard.

Best New Word Created on the Podcast: Mini-episode 90.5 at 50 seconds in. "Frensual"--a sensual friendship.

"It's, like, I'm grabbing your hand-ear and just squeezing it. I'm not saying I'm going to take this ear home tonight and defile it. I'm just saying, like, 'Hey, I like this ear. I'm gonna be in it for a couple more minutes...'"

Hi, I'm Marissa, and like Paul said, I am here to help and answer any questions you might have!

• Like 1

Best Moment of Realisation: The guy that Chong-Li killed in the previous kumite being Senzo Tanaka's son, Shingo.

Best Guest One Liner

Matt Jones - Rhinestone "It's so quiet you can hear two mice fucking on cotton."

Pete Holmes - Can't Stop the Music "I just saved money on my car insurance that was so progressive." (Honestly why nominate anyone else this is the clear winner.)

• Like 4