🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 1811 - Paul Reiser

Well there's a couple of examples about why people get mad about the political talk early in this show. Garren equates being conservative to being a horrible racist, and then being religious is equated with being crazy when talking about one of the other Baldwins. Yeah there's people out there that live to complain who probably shouldn't be listening to the show. Personally, I find that 95% of the show is extremely enjoyable, but I'll admit that this year has been rough to listen to because of the political talk. And not because it's taking up a lot of space, but just because I have your viewpoints in the back of my mind while I'm listening to the rest of the episode. And my problem isn't even with your viewpoints. It's the continued insistence that you guys don't know anything about politics followed up by the clear opinion that half of the political world is 100% wrong. That attitude is the reason that the system is as screwed up as it is.

• Like 1

I've never had an issue with politics being discussed on the show and especially don't care if Jimmy decides to be vocal about who he is voting for (and if people get upset over that then fuck you). But yes Garren's comment today was especially ignorant and downright disgusting (and so obviously not joking) and even disturbing the way he had no issue labeling someone something as horrific as a "racist" just because they have a different political view than he does. Of course this is sadly axiomatic of politics and just human nature in general that we like to build up our own side/group and put down others by labeling them whatever and not actually treating them as complex human beings. It's also a disturbing trend in more left-leaning circles (and I tend to lean left, I voted for Sanders even) to use terms like racist not when its actually necessary but just to put the other side down or to just stop an argument. Sorry to rant but basically I would've liked for someone in the room to have maybe called him out on that? Or not. Who cares. I still love all of you guys and love the show. Just maybe think before using harmful words, Garren? luv u!

July Diaz, I just found your podcast. Was the Billy Merritt episode removed from iTunes?

My politics pretty much line up with these guys, so maybe I'm more willing to cut some slack, but they do consistently say they are ignorant about politics before spouting their opinions. I think this puts them on par with about 90% of the general public.

That said, loved this episode! Paul Reiser is so quick and so in touch for being a self proclaimed out of touch guy (both here and on CBB today.) I really enjoyed him talking about his kids and doing stuff for them that they can and should do for themselves because goddammit these moments don't last forever. Between this and today's CBB, it's been a while since I've laughed so hard at two podcasts in one day.

• Like 1

I don't follow Adam Baldwin's beliefs too closely, but a quick Google suggests that he is known to tweet sexist (coined #GamerGate, for example) and homophobic stuff. He also picked a fight with Don Cheadle over the #OscarsSoWhite situation. Not saying the latter definitively proves he's a racist, but...Garon might have been onto something this time.

He definitely didn't do a good job of backing up the "racist" comment on the episode, but I think that's more of a mushmouth thing than an example of endemic liberal hate speech.

EDIT: Also reading plenty of reports that Baldwin's an "extremely nice" guy in person though, so what the hell do I know? Just thought it was worth mentioning.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this