🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 135 - Solarbabies: LIVE!

Correction/Question:

Paul said he held a fake autograph signing for Jami Gertz at the Blockbuster that he worked at, yet in the episode for Steel he said he held a signing for Annabeth Gish. This statement was followed by June saying almost word for word the same statement about his Blockbuster stories and it being run by no one. So my question is, did Paul just forget who he had a fake signing for using a coworker as a stand-in or did all of his coworkers look vaguely enough like B+ level actors that he could host multiple fake autograph signings at his Blockbuster?

I think he held more than one, using the profits he made from the previous one to hold the next signing, and then start hiring look a likes, and failing that, just poking attendees in the eye and taking their money, gradually building his funds to hire an actual celebrity for a signing, until he spent his funds on going to see Spice World in the theatre.

• Like 3

Some more on the famous Laughing Until You're Hoarse DeLuises: Because I was raised in a Mel Brooks family and this is Hollywood Royalty We Are Talking About--How Do You NOT Know This, John Mulaney?

Jason made it sound like he knew of two DeLuise sons: Peter (who is in this movie and 21 Jump Street, and now directs) and Michael (who played TJ on Gilmore Girls). There are actually three: Peter, Michael and David (who, for the younger crowd was on Wizards of Waverly Place and also--shame on Jason--appeared on Gilmore Girls as TJ's Brother). Your GILMORE game is slipping, Jason!

Mulaney asked about their mother, I think because Peter is so tall? And he wanted to know what the mother looked like? Their mother is the actress Carol Arthur who had many credits but who I best know for playing Harriet Johnson the school teacher who calls the Governor the "Leading Asshole in the State" in Blazing Saddles .

• Like 2

when the mural popped up first i thought it looked alot like gorgeous george (clooney) ... thought maybe we had another jack frost situation

2mzcvbl.jpg

looking at them side by side now ...maybe not so much but at first glance ...

How many times have movie studio's ripped off Road Warrior?

Because like this movie it's set in a post apocalyptic waste land and everybody is fighting over a resource.

How many movies have used that premise after Road Warrior?

I don't know how to tell this story without a semi-depressing opening (Much like finding Nemo) But my mom's memorial service was today... Okay on to the better part.

Afterward I was hanging out with my extended family, and we're board game/card game/tabletop gaming people, and after a rousing game of Cranium (Which my team won), we played this game where you write down any "person, place or thing" on three slips of paper and put them into a hat, the two teams go through three one minute rounds per person. First round, you can describe what you've drawn in some way that isn't any of the words on the slip of paper. Round 2 you can only use a single word to describe what you've drawn (Um's and uhh's count and you can only pantomime until someone on your team guesses or time runs out) Round 3 is pantomime only.

the team with the most slips of paper guessed at the end of the round wins that round.

... And when I say any person, place or thing, I mean anything. I had one smart-ass cousin-in-law who wrote down things like "Some kind of batman" and "Candied fish sticks"

The point of this story is that I couldn't resist writing down "Steve Guttenberg." The problem though was that no one playing the game knew who I was talking about and the ones who did, didn't find it as amusing as I did. My aunt (Who wasn't playing) was the only one who got it, and when no one could think of his first name (They got his last name by talking about the Gutenberg bible) she yelled it out from the other room and laughed like a jackal (As she's known to do.)

And to add onto this story I just checked my facebook and my cousin posted his IMDB in our family group saying "Just for the record" which made me laugh.

Edit: I just posted the roller skating "Can't Stop The Music" opening youtube video as a response.

• Like 8

I'm sorry you're going through a tough time, Amy. But maybe take some small comfort in the fact that you've introduced your family to National Treasure Steve Guttenberg? I mean, the idea that they have ALL gone through life bereft of the Police Academy movies is deeply troubling.

Not even Three Men and a Baby? Really?

• Like 3

I'm sorry you're going through a tough time, Amy. But maybe take some small comfort in the fact that you've introduced your family to National Treasure Steve Guttenberg? I mean, the idea that they have ALL gone through life bereft of the Police Academy movies is deeply troubling.

Not even Three Men and a Baby? Really?

One of my other aunts posted that she loved him in Short circuit...Even I forgot he was in that. I guess brown face Fisher Stevens and that cloyingly adorable robot dominate more of my memories of that movie.

But yeah, I think they knew who he was, but not really his name I guess (one person there was born in 1996 So...)

• Like 4

Listening to the questions about a Spaceballs connection I went looking but couldn't find much about locations or the like... However, I did find that they shared the same editor. The films were released about a year apart and were made by the same company so I wouldn't be surprised if they reused stuff to save money.

• Like 2

I just wish people would of given Rob Lowe a bit more credit for this ground breaking role in this film.

2hp0xo8.jpg

htv5ub.jpg

• Like 3

Great episode

Paul and June were a great combo and John Mulaney was a welcome addition to the cast.

What's the deal with that fucking douchebag

Great episode

Paul and June were a great combo and John Mulaney was a welcome addition to the cast.

What's the deal with that fucking douchebag

I don't have anything to add except that I loved it as well. I love me some John Mulaney and can't wait to watch the movie and see what this whole experience is like.

CORRECTIONS: In the Wendy's ad, Paul says that sauce made from ghost peppers is the hottest sauce known to mankind. According to the Scoville heat scale, ghost peppers are approximately 1,000,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Units) while the hottest Carolina Reaper pepper ever recorded was approximately 2,200,000 SHU. There are various sauces that are much spicier than sauces made from ghost peppers.

Paul mentions how the warden must have been from a "hotter planet", but he misspoke since this doesn't make any sense in the context of what he was saying. If anything, the warden came from a time that the planet was much cooler which would certainly help explain why he looks like he's melting and is inexplicably still wearing a full suit.

OMISSIONS: Several of these actors appeared together in other films, such as Lost Boys, but one actor has the distinction of appearing in another How Did This Get Made film: Jason Patric was the male lead in Speed 2.

How did they not discuss that rolling tire escape from Tiretown?! FUCK. THAT! What a ridiculous decision by both the characters and filmmakers.

This movie cost 7.5 million to make and it made 1.5 million.

All things considered, I'm really glad I watched this movie. Although the end was a mess, I thought the premise had so much promise and there are certain aspects I really enjoyed (although the parts I enjoyed were just ripped off from other movies from that time). With this premise, they could have made a legitimately good movie and I wish they went in a completely different direction where the Solarbabies were given powers by Bodai (who my friend called Butt-Eye, and you can't judge him because Butt-Eye speaks to him differently like Rabbit) instead of just curing deafness. I can imagine how the scenes could've played out in places like that gypsy village or Tiretown, or of course the finale, if the teens had special powers. That would be a much better movie, rather than dicking around on rollerskates and pushing tires around.

"If they found E.T. they would be like 'oh, let's fuckin, let's fuck him in the ass'" - one of the funniest things I've ever heard on HDTGM. Mulaney was making a great point too, I thought the same thing: why the fuck would they go directly to destroying this magic orb? Sure, maybe they want to keep a monopoly on the water, but the magical alien powers could've potentially been exploited in different ways. This thing created rain in a closed room and is potentially a source of infinite water... They truly did fuck that in the ass.

Finally, to the 5-star review that said they wish they could access more movies from that time (1986), I'd like to say fuck you. Aliens (the best in the franchise), Top Gun, Platoon, Labyrinth, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Big Trouble in Little China, Stand By Me, Howard The Duck (HDTGM), Maximum Overdrive (HDTGM), Little Shop of Horrors, Highlander, An American Tail, Crocodile Dundee, The Fly, Pretty In Pink, Blue Velvet, Short Circuit, and of course Star Trek IV would also like to say fuck you.

• Like 2

CORRECTIONS: In the Wendy's ad, Paul says that sauce made from ghost peppers is the hottest sauce known to mankind. According to the Scoville heat scale, ghost peppers are approximately 1,000,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Units) while the hottest Carolina Reaper pepper ever recorded was approximately 2,200,000 SHU. There are various sauces that are much spicier than sauces made from ghost peppers..

that ad gave me indigestion

• Like 1

OMISSION: Solarbabies screenwriter, Walon Green, is not only an Oscar-winning documentarian and screenwriter of The Wild Bunch... he's the man with the millipede crawling across his face in the nightmarish psychedelic tunnel sequence from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

http://www.imdb.com/...t0067992/trivia

Wonka-DeadGuy.jpg

• Like 3

I just wish people would of given Rob Lowe a bit more credit for this ground breaking role in this film.

2hp0xo8.jpg

htv5ub.jpg

Were you guys aware that Iron Eyes Cody (the Crying Indian) is also not really of Native descent? He was Italian? I only found this out yesterday.

Were you guys aware that Iron Eyes Cody (the Crying Indian) is also not really of Native descent? He was Italian? I only found this out yesterday.

Everyone knows that's screen actor Geoffrey Rush in his ground breaking controversial role as the Indian.

htv5ub.jpg

10rmv47.jpg

You do have to give me credit he does sort of look like Geoffrey Rush

Of all the twists and turns that happened in Solarbabies, I think the one that got me the most is the one that didn't happen. Namely, was anyone else totally expecting Metron to betray the rest of the group to the Sand Nazis?

Not only is he constantly butting heads with the others, but he's introduced to us as the more "rational" minded of the Solarbabies, and because of this, he is reluctant to be taken in by the metaphysical nonsense implicated in Bodhi's existence. I thought for sure that he was going to be revealed as cahooting with Strictor Grock. Like, maybe he doesn't agree with Grock on an ideological level, but since he's set up as the film's pragmatist--and therefore sees the world as it is rather than how he'd like it to be--I feel like his character would have absolutely betrayed Bodhi to Grock to be studied.

What my heart-gut wanted while I was watching the movie was for him to turn Bodhi over to the Protectorate, and once he realizes the Protectorate has no intention of studying his sentient, glowing God-Ball, but instead wants to destroy him/her/it, he'd have a change of heart and sacrifice himself to set Bodhi free. I feel like Metron's role in the movie was to be the cowardly rationalist destined to die a martyr's death after a spiritual conversion, but instead he turns out to be a reckless, electric fence pole-vaulting True Believer. I don't know--it just wasn't a satisfying character arc for me...otherwise, the movie was absolutely flawless.

• Like 1

So has Bodhi done something of note on Earth before? It would seem so because for there to be a legend about it Bodhi must have done some big stuff in the past.

I came here to make a similar point. To me, "legend" implies something that's been passed down over multiple generations. If there's only been a need for something to restore the waters for 41 years, then the existence of such a thing is really more of a rumor than a legend.

• Like 1

I only know this because of that awful Columbus Day episode of The Sopranos.

Ha, ha! I made it!!!!! Give me a sec, I'll find the link...

Here you go! And you can look at all my marvelous creations!!!

http://www.yourepeat...e29f71be8f27754

That's a useful site, thanks for posting it.

I only know this because of that awful Columbus Day episode of The Sopranos.

I was looking for the southpark one when they have the native American speak at the school

and on that note now I found it. LOL

• Like 2

I was looking for the southpark one when they have the native American speak at the school

and on that note now I found it. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbFViTJPAqw

Easily one of my favorite episodes and Cartman's comeback of asking if they only have to 1/16th listen to him still makes me laugh.