🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 135 - Solarbabies: LIVE!

Just a few things I noticed

The theme song was sung by Smokey Robinson?

Tiretown is populated only by hipsters. The first thing anyone says about it is "It's definitely not mainstream"

Dearthstar knows his heritage - Despite the rule saying that nobody knows what race their biological parents are, Dearthstar DEFINITELY knows he's a futuristic Native American (I forget the name they use in the film). The way he dresses and wears his hair, as well as the fact that he can summon birds with with sand doodles, are definitely not things he learned at the orphanage.

Beer - The Solarbabies find and drink a beer that has been buried about 1,00 years. I know beer can't go bad, but a teenage child with no alcohol tolerance would definitely have reacted negatively to tasting beer for the first time. Not to mention that the foam definitely wouldn't have been there after 1,000 years of being buried.

ADR BDSM - As they are entering tire town, there is an ADR line "Sure I'll tie you up if you can afford it". Surprised no one mentioned it. I'm mostly listing it here because I love the acronym ADR BDSM.

Hologram torture machine - I'm unclear whether the hologram torture machine makes them see the things happening to them or actually feel them. The blue rubber suit Nazi only talks about how it must be to SEE the flesh falling off the bone, not how it feels. In addition, the team captain of the Scorpions doesn't seem to react in fear until he sees the flesh falling off. If the machine made him *feel* the flesh falling off, wouldn't he feel it instantly, even before he could see skin start bubbling?

Cheese grater car doors - The way that blue rubber suit space nazi gets out of his car makes no sense. He's standing in a tube that looks like it was made out of a collander or a cheese grater. It rotates around 180 degrees and lowers maybe a foot down. You can see him facing in towards the middle of the car as they drive past the bounty hunters so that he can be facing out when the doors open. These doors seem incredibly impractical. What makes it sillier is that this is not a small personal car, where a 1-person-at-a-time door would make sense. It's a van that looks like it's designed to hold a half dozen people. Watching them load soldiers one by one into one of these vans waiting their turn to get into the rotating cheese grater tube would be hilarious, especially if they were in a rush

John Mulaney hit it right on the head with the "too many messiahs" theory

According to IMDB, "All of the main characters' names are from enlightenment legends and myths from various cultures."

If this is true this means that it was the filmmakers intention to imply that all the main characters are messiahs. This may or may not be true based on what I found.

Let's research. I'm not an expert, this is just what I could find on Wikipedia and around the web. If you are more knowledgeable in mythology, please correct me

Jason-http://www.behindthename.com/name/jason

In Greek mythology Jason was the leader of the Argonauts. After his uncle Pelias overthrew his father as king of Iolcos, Jason went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back the throne. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman.

Terra-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_(mythology)

Roman Mythology. Just another name for mother nature

Tug-http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Norse_mythology#Loki

The closest thing I can find is that several mythologies have a tug-of-war in them. In Norse Mythology for instance, Loki had a tug of war between his manhood and the beard of a goat, to be funny. "Then Loki did this: he tied a cord to the beard of a goat, the other end being around his own genitals, and each gave way in turn and each of the two screeched loudly; Then Loki let himself fall onto Skadi's knee, and she laughed."

Metron-http://messagenetcommresearch.com/myths/ppt/Metron_1.html

Not really a mythological character, but his name fits his analytical personality very well

"A measure or rule; that by which anything is measured, liquid, solid, linear, etc."

Rabbit-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_fire

There are several myths of Rabbit stealing fire (representing knowledge)

According to the Creek Native Americans, Rabbit stole fire from the Weasels

In Algonquin myth, Rabbit stole fire from an old man and his two daughters

In Ojibwa myth, Nanabozho the hare stole fire and gave it to humans.

Daniel-http://www.behindthename.com/name/daniel

Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.

So either IMDB was wrong or I'm terrible at finding myths and legends. Any help from other posters would be helpful

• Like 3

I don't mean to take away from what you've written... but I really love your ^ name They're babies!.

• Like 1

According to IMDB, "All of the main characters' names are from enlightenment legends and myths from various cultures."

If this is true this means that it was the filmmakers intention to imply that all the main characters are messiahs. This may or may not be true based on what I found.

Let's research. I'm not an expert, this is just what I could find on Wikipedia and around the web. If you are more knowledgeable in mythology, please correct me

In Greek mythology Jason was the leader of the Argonauts. After his uncle Pelias overthrew his father as king of Iolcos, Jason went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back the throne. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman.

The closest thing I can find is that several mythologies have a tug-of-war in them. In Norse Mythology for instance, Loki had a tug of war between his manhood and the beard of a goat, to be funny. "Then Loki did this: he tied a cord to the beard of a goat, the other end being around his own genitals, and each gave way in turn and each of the two screeched loudly; Then Loki let himself fall onto Skadi's knee, and she laughed."

Not really a mythological character, but his name fits his analytical personality very well

"A measure or rule; that by which anything is measured, liquid, solid, linear, etc."

Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.

So either IMDB was wrong or I'm terrible at finding myths and legends. Any help from other posters would be helpful

Yeah I was confused about this IMDb fact as well. I know Metron is a DC comics character, which is kind of a mythology of its own. That character was also created in the 70s so that could be who he was named after.

I couldn't come up with anything for Tug except that it was probably short for something?

Great research, but don't forget Bodhi himself, an ethereal creature that shares its name with another soaring Sun God and being of pure light--one, Mr. Patrick Swayze!

Point-Break-patrick-swayze-31302651-1200-796.jpg

Both "Bodhi" in Solarbabies and "Bodie" in Point Break are shortened variations on the Buddhist term Bodhisattva--although only Point Break claims this explicitly. I remember learning about Bodhisaatvas in World Religion back in college, and while I tried to supplement my knowledge with some research, I think I'll just fall back on my vague remembrances and leave it up to the kind world of the Internet to correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, a Bodhisaatva is a person who is right on the threshold of becoming Buddha--the highest state of enlightenment--but, since reaching this goal means you spend the rest of your life in blissed out meditation, it renders that person effectively useless to others. Bodhisaatvas deny themselves this final step to true enlightenment so they can still communicate with others and help them achieve Nirvana.

While I don't think any of this information has any direct correlation to the events seen within the movie, I do think the writers thought they were being incredibly clever and deep when they named their characters.

pointbreakgif.gif

• Like 2

This ep was great, it's crazy how John hasn't been on early though.

Wouldn't it only cost seven dollars in quarters? ;)

Damn, new guy coming in hot!

giphy.gif

The name saying super-cut was great. As I was listening I thought they should have slipped in a "Damn, Daniel" in the middle.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

EllenM! I just got your Nerd Notes submission! However, they came in upside down and I can't fix that within the post itself.

• Like 1

EllenM! I just got your Nerd Notes submission! However, they came in upside down and I can't fix that within the post itself.

Fixed it! I was actually keeping them in case someone followed Jason's suggestion :)

• Like 1

It's not Wednesday, but it kinda is for me...

I'm leaving for almost 2 full weeks on Friday to go on vacation overseas and I'm incredibly stressed out because I'm not prepared. I wish Civil War was out now instead of Thursday so I could talk about it constantly and be distracted lol.

• Like 2

Damn, new guy coming in hot!

OK, time to admit my ignorance. What does "seven dollars in quarters" refer to?

OK, time to admit my ignorance. What does "seven dollars in quarters" refer to?

• Like 4

It's not Wednesday, but it kinda is for me...

I'm leaving for almost 2 full weeks on Friday to go on vacation overseas and I'm incredibly stressed out because I'm not prepared. I wish Civil War was out now instead of Thursday so I could talk about it constantly and be distracted lol.

I love that this is the solution.

I can't go on tumblr this week because it's out in some countries and tumblr keeps showing me spoiler posts. Like gifs of fight scenes out of context.

You guys will have to entertain me until Thursday since I can't waste hours on tumblr. I have been looking up gods and mythological figures with names beginning with "Tug", assuming Tug is short for something like Bodhi. Haven't found anything yet but lots of mythologies to go. Also, does anyone know Enlightenment thinkers? The IMDb fact listed enlightenment as well as mythological names.

This is my white whale.

• Like 2

I have been looking up gods and mythological figures with names beginning with "Tug", assuming Tug is short for something like Bodhi. Haven't found anything yet but lots of mythologies to go. Also, does anyone know Enlightenment thinkers? The IMDb fact listed enlightenment as well as mythological names.

This is my white whale.

I was kind of doing this too, and all I seemed to find was that the name "Tugay" means Brigade in Turkish. (Pronounced too-guy I think) I don't know if that's relevant, it seemed to loosely fit to me. I dunno.

• Like 2

I love that this is the solution.

I can't go on tumblr this week because it's out in some countries and tumblr keeps showing me spoiler posts. Like gifs of fight scenes out of context.

You guys will have to entertain me until Thursday since I can't waste hours on tumblr. I have been looking up gods and mythological figures with names beginning with "Tug", assuming Tug is short for something like Bodhi. Haven't found anything yet but lots of mythologies to go. Also, does anyone know Enlightenment thinkers? The IMDb fact listed enlightenment as well as mythological names.

This is my white whale.

Do you have tumblr savior? I've literally blocked every kind of version of the title of the movie plus every character and every actor just in case. However, there's always one dbag out there that doesn't tag their posts. So for the next two days I'm only checking the Nerd Notes account for submissions lol.

It was just so quiet around here today and I was like woah no if I can't distract myself with Captain America then dammit I demand Earwolf entertainment until this trip!

• Like 2

Of course Sharknado releases their Star Wars-esque poster today...

sharknado-4-poster.jpg?w=620&h=917

Also the list of cameos was released and... Really? Stacey Dash as the mayor of Chicago? She's basically a joke now but I don't think she gets why she's a joke and I have a feeling this will be just as awkward as The Oscars.

• Like 3

Why would they post the cameos?! Half the fun of Sharknado is "Holy shit?! Kurt Angle is in this?!"

maxresdefault.jpg

What the fuck?! Is that Josh Barnett?!

sharknado_-_JOSH_BARNETT_1.0.0.jpg

Chris Jericho?!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Why would they post the cameos?! Half the fun of Sharknado is "Holy shit?! Kurt Angle is in this?!"

I'm still convinced they don't understand why people love this series so much. So they try and do things that they think people will love and it just kinda ruins the experience.

• Like 1

When arriving at the Chicani camp, I turned to my wife and said, "Look, they've made it to Santa Fe" (regarding all of the douchey white people posing as Native American).

The name Chicani, for me, channeled Chicano, a somewhat ambiguous Mexican-American cultural identity. For many the term is used as a point of pride, but in the past it has held negative connotations. One example of derogatory use would be wealthier Mexican-Americans using Chicano as a pejorative to describe those of a lower social standing.

The camp certainly felt more hippie-wannabe than that of a spiritual people. And were they supposed to be an ancient race (or culture, whatever)? There really is no sense of time in this movie. I love when Terra rescues the rest of the Solarbabies and takes them to her new home, and says "I live here" as if it is a place she's known her whole life. Um, weren't you kidnapped, like, 2 hours ago? On top of that, how were YOU rescued?

So stupid. I love this movie.

• Like 1

I don't know who these people are. Still SharkNAYdo4.

Seriously.

I'm still convinced they don't understand why people love this series so much. So they try and do things that they think people will love and it just kinda ruins the experience.

But, then again, I don't understand why people love this series so much. So I don't expect SyFy to figure it out either.

• Like 1