🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 135 - Solarbabies: LIVE!

The greatest thing about the entire movie is how much an asshole Bohdai is. That orb can fly on its on own, dematerialize and then reappear. So the fact that it keeps letting itself get stolen the whole movie is pretty insane.

Not too mention it takes until the end of the movie before the orb releases the water. Coincedentally after the orb has killed a woman.

Which leads me to believe that apparently its human sacrifice that Bohdai needs to activate its water powers.

• Like 4

I also loved the "fight" scene in Tire Town. Because they have to fight on rollerskates it severly limits their abilities to do anything resembling fighting, so they just kind of spin around poles alot into people, and alot of guards are dispatched by just pushing them over like dominoes.

As for Flying man's ethnicity in this movie. This greatly confuses me, because based on the symbol he has on his back and the blanket covering his bunk looks native americanish.

But then when he finds his people and the first guy he meets looks like Hugh Laurie, my mind was blown.

• Like 1

I think the 2nd Howdies needs a "Best Blockbuster Story" category from Paul because of how insane they all are.

• Like 6

Does anyone else feel like putting headlights on rollerskates would be wildly impractical? if you just think of the mechanics of skating, there's no way you'd be able to get a steady enough beam to help you in the slightest. You'd just have light streaming Helter Skelter in all directions. In fact, the only thing they would be good for is announcing your presence and position to any E-Cops who might be out searching for you.

Then again, stealth doesn't exactly seem to be the Solarbabies forte. For example, when Jason catches up to Daniel, the first thing he says to him is, "Next time, leave a better trail..." Oh, really? Do you mean like the kind of trail that allowed you, the Solarbabies, and Darstar to be easily tracked through the desert time and time again? Daniel was on point and was never in danger of being caught until he teams up with Jason and the other Solarbaby lunkheads.

• Like 3

I don't think they're Native American. I say this because the only ones we saw were white guys with side ponytails. That doesn't make you Native American, it makes you a douche.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

In Tiretown, the Solarbabies are exposed to the seedier side of living in a water scarce, dystopian society. As they walk through the town, Tug and Rabbit are solicited by a prostitute who says, "Hey, Big Chunk! Two quarts and you could spend a few hours." Of course, Tug, being the loveable naif that he is, questions her, "A few hours for what?" before being ushered away by Rabbit. Now, Tug's question is endearing, but I have a couple of questions of my own that I think are far more practical. First of all, if water is so scarce, who the hell is bartering the chance of a horrible death from water deprivation for sex with a prostitute when the Tchigani have all the free love you could want over in their crazy amusement park village? And secondly, "a few hours?" The seems pretty excessive, especially for someone suffering from chronic dehydration. Do you think those "hours" have to be consecutive or is it kind of like a Gift Card that you can redeem as often as you want until it runs out?

• Like 2

I say this because the only ones we saw were white guys with side ponytails. That doesn't make you Native American, it makes you a douche.

Or Padawans...

Anakin-Skywalker-anakin-skywalker-16914288-1363-1929.jpg

The name saying super-cut was great. As I was listening I thought they should have slipped in a "Damn, Daniel" in the middle.

• Like 2

Which leads me to believe that apparently its human sacrifice that Bohdai needs to activate its water powers.

Does that mean Teen Witch needs to kill somebody in order to prevent her spells being reversed by water?

• Like 1

I'm super surprised that the subject of Leather Nazi and knock-off (Bobo) Anjelica Houston and their scene chewing flirting. Like, waaaay past eye boning each other. Like they super wanted to some hardcore supervillan angry sex, if they hadn't had it already. and the line that went something like "I'll keep you from getting bored while you wait" she was just asking for him to throw her over a terminal and get it going right then and there.

I was like "daaaamn!" haha!

• Like 4

knock-off Angelica Houston

Sarah Douglas, Ursa in Superman II. From Superman II in 1980 to Solarbabies in 1986. How the mighty have fallen! :P

• Like 1

knock-off Angelica Houston

Bobo Anjelica Houston, please.

Another Howdies category? All the bobo actors (like bobo Ryan Reynolds in Teen Witch).

I think the 2nd Howdies needs a "Best Blockbuster Story" category from Paul because of how insane they all are.

They're Karl Pilkington levels of "How did you even get that job in the first place"... and they look similar from a distance... Is Paul Scheer, Karl Pilkington?!

• Like 3

Not too mention it takes until the end of the movie before the orb releases the water. Coincedentally after the orb has killed a woman.

What if Shoulder Pads (or Bobo Angelica Houston, if you prefer) is actually the hero of the movie? Her death gives water to millions. Also, it's definitely not Jason Patric...

• Like 3

Can we just do a whole episode where the gang talks about their shitty pre-acting jobs instead of a movie?

Or, they could have PFT on, and the Pauls could swap stories about working in video stores.

Does anyone have a clear idea of how Leather Nazi's torture device works? After the Tchigani man is dragged away, Grock pulls the Protectorate Youth aside and says, "You can have whatever you want, whatever they fear most. Disease. Rats. Snakes. How would you like to see the flesh fall away from your body?"

Now, I know this is arguing semantics, but Grock specifically says, "see the flesh," not "feel the flesh." It is also important to note, that once the machine has been turned off or the person is removed from the device, there is no sign of trauma. For example, the Tchigani guy isn't covered in fire ant bites. This seems to reinforce the idea that the torture isn't physical, but purely psychological. (And while I'm on the subject, fire ants? Really, guy? Ants are your greatest fear?)

So, having said all that, I get how the torture could be effective if you didn't realize they were merely holograms, but Blond Haired Bully guy is told specifically, just before his hand is thrust over it, how it's all just an illusionary, magic trick for babies. So why does he freak the fuck out? He knows it's fake. It seems like if there is any pain associated with it at all, it's because it makes your brain think it's happening. And why does Grock, having just explained how the machine works, even bother to demonstrate it to the Blond Guy? You just gave away the only thing that makes that type of torture effective. In fact, it seems like it would be the easiest torture in the world to withstand if you know that what you're seeing isn't really happening.

Also, what if your greatest fear is something more conceptual like the collapse of the Global Economy or aging? How does the machine show that?

• Like 2

About 30 minutes in I was like, "Why haven't they mentioned Corey Haim yet?" Then I realized that I mixed this movie up with Prayer of the Rollerboys.

• Like 3

So has Bodhi done something of note on Earth before? It would seem so because for there to be a legend about it Bodhi must have done some big stuff in the past. But what did it do exactly? The Sand Nazis seem pretty knowledgeable about it so were they fighting against Bodhi in year 0? That opening voice over says he will return to "free the waters once again". I could read that as Bodhi will free the water a 2nd time OR Bodhi, for the 1st time, will free the water to make it as it once was. The latter makes more sense but either way I am still very confused.

What I am driving at is in addition to Solarbabies: Rogue One we are also going to need Solarbabies: Episode 0 :: The Sandy Menace to explain Bodhi's past deeds and the rise of the Protectorate.

• Like 2

I also dont understand how shoulderpads and plastic jacket knew exactly what Bohdai was like immediately. They were talking about how much credit they were going to get for finding it, and they even had a device that seemed like it was specifically built to destroy Bohdai.

• Like 2

Somewhat unrelated, but I just wanted to pipe in and say I'll make a tumblr for nerd notes, just wanted to know if people would actually submit to it if I made one, haha. I think it'd be cool to see too, anyway.

• Like 4

I also dont understand how shoulderpads and plastic jacket knew exactly what Bohdai was like immediately. They were talking about how much credit they were going to get for finding it, and they even had a device that seemed like it was specifically built to destroy Bohdai.

What was also weird about that was Shoulder Pads tells Sand Nazi something like, "We should turn it over to the Protectorate" and he says something like, "No, because then they'll take credit for destroying it." But if they destroy it without telling their superiors what they found, how are they going to prove that they destroyed Bodhi and therefore get the credit? The best they can do is dump an inanimate spherical rock on their boss' desk and say, "Check it! I killed God!"

• Like 2

Somewhat unrelated, but I just wanted to pipe in and say I'll make a tumblr for nerd notes, just wanted to know if people would actually submit to it if I made one, haha. I think it'd be cool to see too, anyway.

Ha! I literally just created one too! Was gonna make it all pretty once I got home from work lol.

• Like 2

Ha! I literally just created one too! Was gonna make it all pretty once I got home from work lol.

Haha, oh wow, when Jason tells us, we listen! I'll leave it to you then! :D Let me know if you need any help or whatever with it and post the link when it's all done! :D

• Like 1