🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
tommyPickelz

3 Ninjas (1992)

I am a true fan of this movie and its ridiculousness! It is a keystone in my early, teen years but its one of those movies that makes you say "whaaaaa" and "oh come on". It may get away with being pretty ridiculous because it was catered to a younger audience but characters like the stoner kidnappers and a bad guy who literally says "God, I love being the bad guy" among a myriad of other whacky antics is definitely worth a dissection on How Did This Get Made?

I totally agree! It didn't even occur to me to suggest this movie because it's like cannon to myself and friends I grew up with. But Snyder and Colt are ripe for some How Did This Get Made-ing.

hahahah yes! "I want, Snyder, he's everything! I WANT HIM!" There are ninjas with guns, a sword-licking clown ninja and hilarious, early 90s teenage antics! Please, Paul Scheer, find out HOW THIS GOT MADE!

I was just looking through what other peeps posted on HDTGM and came across this thread. I totally agree three ninjas was god awful, offensive, it made sense to children apparently because they made sequels to it.

The three sequels were executive produced by legendary South Korean director Shin Sang-ok (under the name Simon Sheen), who was kidnapped with his wife on the orders of Kim Jong-il, held captive in North Korea, forced to make films glorifying the DPRK including the Communist Godzilla movie Pulgasari before they managed to escape in 1986.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2003/apr/04/artsfeatures1

I forced my parents to take me to see at least one of these movies in theaters and even owned one on VHS. My parents know true sacrifice when it comes to their offspring. For their sake, fucking rip this movie a new one and expose how much of a dumb-dumb I was as a child.

• Haha 1

If theyre going to do any one of these movies it should be the third one. if only for the delightful casting choices of Hulk Hogan, Loni Anderson and Jim Varney.

Although the second one does have the distinction of being one of Donal Logues first movies.

I too was a huge fan of this movie growing up, but one scene has always boggled my mind, the basketball game. I haven't seen it in years, but if I recall correctly, they give their opponents (who all seemed to be larger and taller) a 9 point advantage in a game to 10. They then proceed to score 10 unanswered baskets to win the game, emphatically finished with a dunk by a kid in 6th grade? And we're not talking about a lebron james/shaq sixth grader, we're talking about a 5,5 white kid.

The three sequels were executive produced by legendary South Korean director Shin Sang-ok (under the name Simon Sheen), who was kidnapped with his wife on the orders of Kim Jong-il, held captive in North Korea, forced to make films glorifying the DPRK including the Communist Godzilla movie Pulgasari before they managed to escape in 1986.

http://www.theguardi...4/artsfeatures1

His real name? Estevez Sang-ok. No shit.

please, do yourself a favor and watch this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP5VaH-01gw

The bully team doesn't make a God damn bit of sense. At no point are they getting the upper hand, but they're acting like they are? Dude flips one of the ninja kids, whose shot (like the eighth point in a row) still goes in, and then the villains high five like they just won the game and didn't come a point closer to losing the thing. Whhhaaaaa? They seem to get LESS frustrated as the game goes on, despite having done absolutely jack shit. I know I saw this when I was much younger, but I don't remember it being so frustrating.

The bully team doesn't make a God damn bit of sense. At no point are they getting the upper hand, but they're acting like they are? Dude flips one of the ninja kids, whose shot (like the eighth point in a row) still goes in, and then the villains high five like they just won the game and didn't come a point closer to losing the thing. Whhhaaaaa? They seem to get LESS frustrated as the game goes on, despite having done absolutely jack shit. I know I saw this when I was much younger, but I don't remember it being so frustrating.

I can't get enough of

1. The blatant goal-tend at the beginning (although, it is street ball, so I can let this one slide)

2. Dunking from the free-throw line without a running start, just one step

3. the slow-motion "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

4. The ease with which the 3rd basket is scored

I love this movie, so much

The Ninjas gave the bullies a nine-point lead.

This movie really needs to be done.

You know a movie is a good when 3 minor characters could have had their own movie/side adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQt2mfMVHY

First we feast. Then we felony. Also is that first use of "za" in pop culture?

The Ninjas gave the bullies a nine-point lead.

Which is all the more reason WHY they shouldn't be acting like they're about to win the NBA Finals when those little assholes keep scoring point after point after unanswered point. I don't think those little pricks missed a single shot! I mean, the one dude did a fireman's carry to the one little shithead, and that shot still went in, but then the baddies celebrate like they just got done tag-teaming the kid's mom or something. They are terrible at what they do.

You know a movie is a good when 3 minor characters could have had their own movie/side adventure.

First we feast. Then we felony. Also is that first use of "za" in pop culture?

I can never get enough of the pizza delivery scene

Which is all the more reason WHY they shouldn't be acting like they're about to win the NBA Finals when those little assholes keep scoring point after point after unanswered point. I don't think those little pricks missed a single shot! I mean, the one dude did a fireman's carry to the one little shithead, and that shot still went in, but then the baddies celebrate like they just got done tag-teaming the kid's mom or something. They are terrible at what they do.

According to IMDB:

"In the original international version, the boys lost the basketball challenge, and a scene was at the end of the movie to tidy up loose ends. "

I can't get enough of

1. The blatant goal-tend at the beginning (although, it is street ball, so I can let this one slide)

2. Dunking from the free-throw line without a running start, just one step

3. the slow-motion "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

4. The ease with which the 3rd basket is scored

I love this movie, so much

and 5.) the main bad kid's outfit. A POW hat and a shirt that says AWESOME on it? And he's in 6th grade? What?

One of my professors from college wrote this movie. To this day, he insists that his original version was darker, and had the kids actually killing people and taking on the lives of ninja assassins. According to him, the studio dumbed it down. He was also crazier than a bag of cats. I would love for the gang to tackle this movie.

• Like 4

Not only is the premise hilariously ridiculous, but has over the top performances (from Rand Kingsley as Snyder and Patrick Labyorteaux as Fester in particular) that make this movie insanely quotable.

• Like 1

My brother, sister and I used to act this movie out from start to finish. Seriously, line for line.

I WANT THOSE KIDS FOUND NOW!! OR I'LL TEAR OUT YOUR LIVER!

I'm sure my parents heard their 8 year old yelling that and had serious concerns for his mental state.

I have just lost the last hour of my life to this cinematic disaster.

My boyfriend put this movie on. It's streaming on Hulu and came up pretty featured on the list. Enthusiastically, I started chanting ROCKY LOVES EM-IL-Y. You know, as one does. I saw this movie as a child. I didn't not realize the following; 1) how blatantly racist it is 2) how terrible it is for children to watch 3) it really has very little in the way of plot 4) the production quality has to be one of the worst in a movie I was not actively looking for problems in. David was convinced in a scene where the mother is putting on earrings that they disappear at the end of the conversation. Didn't see that, but don't doubt it. The grandfather fighting is so clearly a much thinner, younger stunt double that it leaves me wondering... why the hell was there a grandfather fighting ninjas? Why did the ninjas have a plastic visor over their face?

There is so much to touch upon. It would never get done in a simple hour. The mother refers to her "asian side" ... WHAT? The father clearly has a problem with the grandfather teaching the kids karate / ninja skills / whatever the f@#$ they are "learning" at the death-kill-murder camp they stay at with him. I share the father's concerns. I do not know the father is not winning that conversation with the mother. She refers to her father as a "special man" - what the f!@$? When they attack the grandfather towards the beginning of the movie, one of those children could have clearly lost a limb so badly that it makes me uncomfortable. The children making the decision to, among other things, throw loose CDs at three gun-toting ... infant men ? I don't even know what to call them. They HAD GUNS, kids. At the beginning, the grandfather tells them not to get into a fight they can't win.

I can't. The villain is like they didn't have the budget for Steven Seagal.

Also, is the grandfather's ninja outfit made of a trash bag? Clearly... it is. (from the boyfriend)

I looked up everyone. With the exception of the lead man child gang leader and Emily (who solves that front teeth business), almost everyone retired after the ill-fated sequels. I'm concerned about my life as a child after watching this. I'm worried I've never liked anything good.

While I was writing this, he turned it back on. I'm in for another 30 minutes of this.

Please. This movie. For us all.

Sign in to follow this